My Favorite V4 Honda Got Me Home

• Member Contributer

My 06 ST1300 hit a nasty patch of gravel on the exit of a downhill left turn on the Back Of The Dragon this past Saturday, right in front of fellow VFRD member 007. Steve negotiated the debris safely and patiently waited while I tweaked a few items to make the bike ride-able for the 200 mile ride back to the house. The ST will soon be totaled by the insurance company as the damage is extensive. 

Not a single physical issue whatsoever. Dianese jacket, scorpion riding jeans and Alpinestars boots protected me perfectly and my Shoei GT Air never touched the ground. The ST was always the most comfortable bike I ever owned and it was possibly the most comfortable low side in history. I was doing between 30 and 40 MPH and the integrated tip-over wings protected my lower body and and staved off enough damage to the bike to allow me to ride it home.

Like the VFR the ST is built like a tank. The rear of the bike started to pass the front when something dug in and flipped the bike up in the air and onto the right side. So a 750 LB bike low-sides, flips over and slides down the road; all I could think of was how my steak of never needing a ride home was surely ended. An hour or so later it was ready to ride.

Steve has seen me low-side twice now and both times I was on Pirelli Angel GTs. Not sure if it is coincidental but I run through hundreds of gravel patches every year and I am beginning to wonder if there is something there. I seem to feel road debris with more amplitude with the AGTs so maybe...

I need another continent crusher in the fleet and I am seriously considering the BMW R1200RS. 200 lbs lighter and as comfy with a low cost bar riser and lowered pegs. I have wanted a boxer twin my entire adult life. I wanted an ST since the first 1100 and it was amazing. If the Beemer is a letdown I will just get another ST. They are amazing 700-mile-per-day motorcycles.

• Member Contributer

And then take it across the Old Continent!!!

• Member Contributer

Once you figure out which bike to buy, you should update your Garage list.  You are like a kid in a candy store.

• Member Contributer

Glad your ok, hit gravel on the skyway three weeks ago , soory about the bike, like Sweepers suggestion ....?

• Member Contributer

Glad you are OK Kebrider, gear pays for itself. Good luck on the search for a replacement. 

Wow Keb, glad to hear you came out of it unscathed and sorry to hear about your Continent Crusher.  

The investment in good gear pays dividends, eventually.  

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear Keb. Does it give you a little of the Glad To Be Walking Around feeling? Have fun replacing the old C Crusher.

• Member Contributer

Glad your ok, got the news from Donna Sunday morning at BRMC .

I am picking up the "51" Friday morning and will ride it Sunday at the "WORLD FAMOUS DRAGON" everybody come and join me.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Switchblade said:

I am picking up the "51" Friday morning and will ride it Sunday at the "WORLD FAMOUS DRAGON" everybody come and join me.

So you are still alive Switch! Wish I could join you. Carve a few for me pal.

If your thinking of getting a boxer, look at the liquid cooled. Fantastic bike. The only thing they share with the earlier ones is two wheels ;)

• Member Contributer

Glad you are well Kimball.

Lots of great bikes available right now.  The 2016 Tuono is near the top of my list.  

Spendy but worth it is the hand made Motus MSTR...they make 3 per week in Birmingham, AL and the tool kit is alloy and made in California. Seat is a Sargent, brakes are monoblock Brembos, wheels are BST carbon, rotors are Braking...top shelf Ohlins suspenders at both ends along with Akrapovic exhaust and carbon body work. Standard panniers.

Pulls a scary easy wheelie from 2,800 rpm in first or second with just throttle roll on.

550lbs and 180 hp.  Feels like a cross between an RC51 and an ST1300 with the engine at idle and the off idel torque but just MORE of everything everywhere.

Schedule a test ride from their web page http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CornerCarver said:

Lots of great bikes available right now.  The 2016 Tuono is near the top of my list.  

Spendy but worth it is the hand made Motus MSTR...they make 3 per week in Birmingham, AL and the tool kit is alloy and made in California. Seat is a Sargent, brakes are monoblock Brembos, wheels are BST carbon, rotors are Braking...top shelf Ohlins suspenders at both ends along with Akrapovic exhaust and carbon body work. Standard panniers.

Pulls a scary easy wheelie from 2,800 rpm in first or second with just throttle roll on.

550lbs and 180 hp.  Feels like a cross between an RC51 and an ST1300 with the engine at idle and the off idel torque but just MORE of everything everywhere.

Because more is better!?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 007 said:

Because more is better!?

Only if some is good.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Switchblade said:

I have a fresh set of S21s on the Suzook. The minor geometry adjustments on that bike have made it supremely fun to ride. Turns so much better and the stability is still first rate. Just a simple and fun bike to putz around on. The RC is in another league so treat it well my friend. I will see you there

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Thanks for the heads up CC. I just may have to do a Barber track day with a Motus test ride this summer. I'm so disappointed

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

So you are still alive Switch! Wish I could join you. Carve a few for me pal.

Yeah got my feeling hurt BUT I am back now.

9 hours ago, kebrider said:

I have a fresh set of S21s on the Suzook. The minor geometry adjustments on that bike have made it supremely fun to ride. Turns so much better and the stability is still first rate. Just a simple and fun bike to putz around on. The RC is in another league so treat it well my friend. I will see you there

PP's are  on the bike now so CAREFUL will be the word for Sunday BUT I have new set of M7RR's ready to go on AFTER seeing yours SUNDAY.

• Member Contributer
On 6/23/2016 at 8:07 AM, Switchblade said:

Yeah got my feeling hurt BUT I am back now.

I hope they heal completely. Onward and upward David.

Archived