New Guy From Prairieville, La

jhenley17

Hi, guys. I've been lurking for about a week while I waffled on what bike I wanted. One look at the white 8th gen in person and I was hooked, picked it up today and couldn't be happier. It's just too damn quiet, it's a shame they muffled that music (going to order an Ixil or GPR next week), but I think it's going to be a great bike. This is my second bike. I rode a Honda 599 for 4 years until I totalled it in 2012. Hoping this one doesn't meet the same fate. Anyhow, nice site you guys have here, looking forward to being part of this community!

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! Jhenley be sure to post a pic of your new machine.

Thanks, guys. It's a standard model. I may or may not add a quick shifter later, and maybe the heated grips. I'm more concerned about getting a top case, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on it.

Just assembled, it had zero miles on the floor.

post-35077-14571543472434.jpgpost-35077-14571543635255.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice, love the white VFRs, one of the best looking bikes that come in white. The helmet and jacket match pretty good too.

I'll say this, if you plan on riding with a back pack, anything with a decent amount of weight will wear you down pretty fast, the top case will more than make up for its cost in just a few rides. I rode with my laptop backpack for a few rides to my projects and after two runs to San Diego and a few to LA, I couldn't wait for my top case to show up!

• Member Contributer

Welcome jhenly, I agree the white VFR's are very nice, been tempted to grab one myself. I've seen some red ones locally going for $7,500.00 but never a white one.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike. I remember stopping in Praireville with my parents on the way to someplace when I was a very little kid at a short track there. Richard Petty and his cohorts were milling around before a race. We left before the race started and I was disappointed in that. Praireville was on the map that day! The King was there! Enjoy that bike.

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, the white looks damn good, especially with the bronze accents. I didn't notice the flake in the paint until I got home (or pearl, I guess, I'm not even sure). The jacket was a happy coincidence, I've had it for about five or six years now (most of that in my closet). Also have a white Dainese that should look good on it.

Dude.

Bruh.

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike. I remember stopping in Praireville with my parents on the way to someplace when I was a very little kid at a short track there. Richard Petty and his cohorts were milling around before a race. We left before the race started and I was disappointed in that. Praireville was on the map that day! The King was there! Enjoy that bike.

Wow, had no idea anything like that happened around here. I'm not a lifelong resident, though, so don't know much of the history. I'm not sure, but I think Jamie James may have also been from somewhere around here.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum from up stream on the Mississippi River . Good luck with your new machine.

• Member Contributer

WOW!!! Another VFR in Prairieville Welcome.

If you spot me playin in traffic on the Airline flag me down. Just installed the Ixil exhaust, makes plenty music with the db killers removed. Got mine from "Freindly" in October. Few picks:

post-31918-0-82101100-1457267461.jpegpost-31918-0-92178000-1457267492.pngpost-31918-0-50775300-1457267553.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Love the pic with zero miles! Very nice looking bike, starting to think the white is my favorite color on the 8s

If you spot me playin in traffic on the Airline flag me down. Just installed the Ixil exhaust, makes plenty music with the db killers removed. Got mine from "Freindly" in October. Few picks:

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Your screen name looks familiar. Were you on rockedmadness, red stick, or DSRL? Hope we run into each other soon.

I put about 110 more miles on yesterday, pretty much confirming that this bike is awesome. A few observations:

•I wish there were a dedicated coolant temp gauge.

•I cannot figure out how to get my clock to display.

•This bike definitely doesn't feel 100 pounds heavier than my 599. It's much more willing to turn than I thought it would be.

•It doesn't seem to want to pick itself up out of turns as eagerly as I remember my old bike doing. Maybe it was the road, but I had to give a good but of input to straighten it back up. The geometry is almost the same, so I'm not sure why that would be.

•The rear cylinders let you know they're there in traffic. It didn't get uncomfortable, and I did get into some pretty heavy traffic, but it's a new sensation to me.

•I need to get some more miles on it, I'm ready to hear her scream. I'll be doing so in a few minutes.

•The manual says a 300-mile break in period? That sounds odd to me. I'm going to do the usual 600 before I really start getting into the throttle, but I guess I'll let it get a little above 5500 at 300.

•Wind protection is awesome. I rode to work in 49° in a mesh jacket because I knew it was going to be hot when I got off and I was just fine as long as I kept my chest low enough.

•Mirrors are borderline useless. I may have to go dorky and stick an extra bar end mirror on. I have to tuck my elbows in and shift my body a little to see directly behind me. Maybe I just need to get used to it again, but right now, lane changes take more than just a quick glance and head turn.

•Loving the headlights. The pattern is a little weird, but it works, and they're bright, especially the highs. Also, no cyclops mode for low beams, a plus that I hadn't noticed before.

•The horn button is about where I'm used to the signals being. I'm adapting pretty quickly, though. I don't think I had any accidental horn beeps last night.

•I like to two-finger the clutch. I need to get a short clutch lever. I'm not sure if I'm disengaging the clutch completely or not with the other two fingers in the way.

•My clutch and throttle muscles have become weak.

•Chicks turn their heads and watch me go by

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Fz6wja, I've been debating on the Delkavic short oval can or the Ixil... How easy are the db killers to remove and put back in? Would mind a bit more sound most of the time, but for long hauls I like the silence at speed....

Hi, guys. I've been lurking for about a week while I waffled on what bike I wanted. One look at the white 8th gen in person and I was hooked, picked it up today and couldn't be happier. It's just too damn quiet, it's a shame they muffled that music (going to order an Ixil or GPR next week), but I think it's going to be a great bike. This is my second bike. I rode a Honda 599 for 4 years until I totalled it in 2012. Hoping this one doesn't meet the same fate. Anyhow, nice site you guys have here, looking forward to being part of this community!

jhenley17, Did you get the 2014 or 15? I too waffled on my decision to buy a new bike... Not a "need", definitely a "want". I got a new 2014 a couple weeks ago. I figured since they haven't released a 2016 model that the future of the model wasn't looking too bright and there were only a handful of white's left around the county. Can't wait for the weather to warm up here in Wisco to get some miles on it.

Oh, found this white GPR on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR-800-2014-2015-GPR-Exhaust-Albus-White-Silencer-Muffler-Road-Legal-/271874741449?hash=item3f4cff54c9:g:rXsAAOSweW5VWwjK&vxp=mtr

It's a '14. March 2014 build date. Honestly, I would have had a hard time paying MSRP for one, which is why I didn't order a deluxe. I feel like the leftover prices are more in line with what the bikes are worth. They had two white 14 standards left, I got the one in the crate and there's still one on the floor.

I saw the white can. I'm not sure that it won't be too much white, and my wife will have a problem with it not being the same white as the bike.

• Member Contributer

@ Jhenley17, yeah both rocketmadness & red stick same screen name

Would've went for a ride today but got called out to work.

@ Perserverantist, if it takes more than 2 minutes to pull your goofing off Lol

2 screws (5 mm hex I think) and pull

Archived