New Special 25 Anniversary Owner

ShadowJP88

Hi there!

I had a 2000 vfr before and love the V4. Always wanted an 8th gen but price is out of range for now and I finally fall in love with that 2007 special edition 6th gen.

I just can't wait to try it as there is snow for another month or so.

The bike is almost pristine, only one little scratch on a sidecase, 32000km.

I have some questions about this bike.

I know the model had an update in 2006, is the R/R still causing problem in 2007? I verify and there seems to didn't have recall about that model.

I think about updating turn signal and headlight to put led, would that change something on the r/r or cause any problem?

Is there many of those special edition out there? That's the first and only one I've seen in Quebec

post-29896-0-11862100-1456804030.jpg

post-29896-0-58623500-1456804032.jpg

post-29896-0-05245100-1456804035.jpg

• Member Contributer

Congrats on your recent acquisition! Although the later versions of 6 Gens were supposedly improved when it comes to the RR/Stator, having recently had problems with my [09 I would have to say that you're not out of the woods and that you should be monitoring and/or inspecting the connections between the two components. As far as LEDs, personally I don't see the point, unless the system just draws too much power and you want to add more current draw.

• Member Contributer

The electrical recall I believe you're thinking of went through 2005 models and does not affect your '07. However, that does not mean it's immune to electrical gremlins. A good maintenance practice would be to remove the side panels and inspect the connectors, particularly the one for the 3 yellow wires that connects the stator to the R/R. You'll find that on the right side just below the rad hose. I do that annually and treat them with Oxgard.

A volt meter is a worthwhile investment to keep an eye on what the charging system is doing. You can do some searching in the electrical section for photos of how owners have mounted their meters. My '08 BBQ'd its stator by 18,000 miles - about 30,000 km's, but others have gone much further. A stator inspection is also not a bad idea.

As far as LED bulbs go, if you replace your turn bulbs with them you will need to add resistors to provide sufficient load for the flasher to operate. Somewhere there's a thread here about that, too.

No idea how many RWB's were made - that question's been asked, but I don't recall a definitive answer.

edit

Here's the link to the LED turn signal install guide

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/56459-how-to-install-led-turn-signal-on-06-and-newer/?p=668170&hl=cruise%20control&fromsearch=1#entry668170

And some voltmeter ideas

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70384-post-your-voltmeter-mount-pics/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/34838-lascar-voltmeter-install-pics/

• Member Contributer

Recently bought 07 like yours, installed a VFRness wiring system (had this same system on my 2000 lost 1 R/R in 50,000 miles) hoping that it will help ease any elec problems. I have had the 07 for about 6 months, I would suggest that you hang on to the 2K till you see if you really like the 07. I still have my 2K and it really feels like putting on your favorite pair of old shoes. Just my 2 cents worth.

I was thinking installing led to remove a charge on the r/r, the better visibility and also to remove the dark color in turn signal. Thanks for the links Cogswell! I'll take a look for the vfrness and monitor a bit the electrical system

For my 2k, yeah, I'd like to keep it and mod to do a streetfighter or a Café Racer but I need that money... just hope to seel it for the price I wan't everybody seem's scarded about is mileage when they contact me (120k)

• Member Contributer

One other sometimes problem area is the starter relay, located next to the battery. Pulling it up and out to inspect both the wiring and the fuse can be helpful.

• Member Contributer

Is there many of those special edition out there? That's the first and only one I've seen in Quebec

I have #1271, so I know there are at least that many out there! There is a 500 post thread on VFRworld where folks have posted their bike numbers, but I'm not going to read through it to find the high number. ;) http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/10200-How-Many-2007-RWB-Were-Made

• Member Contributer

Welcome, and congrats on your good taste. :-) The 25th is a unique VFR. As others have said, the VFRness is absolutely advised. Along with checking/replacing fluids, they don't need much. The problem with getting a VFR is really nothing else compares. I'm tempted for new rides, but these are keepers. :-)

ALL gens are excellent. My .02c

Dave

• Member Contributer

I was thinking installing led to remove a charge on the r/r, the better visibility and also to remove the dark color in turn signal. Thanks for the links Cogswell! I'll take a look for the vfrness and monitor a bit the electrical system

For my 2k, yeah, I'd like to keep it and mod to do a streetfighter or a Café Racer but I need that money... just hope to seel it for the price I wan't everybody seem's scarded about is mileage when they contact me (120k)

Fitting LED lights will actually slightly increase the load on the R/R. The regulator discharges excess energy via heat, which is why they run hot and need fins. So if you install LED's that draw less current, the RR has to work a little harder.

If you fit LED blinkers, the standard blinker unit will flash much too quickly. One option is to fit individual resistors across each blinker lead so the resistance matches incandescant bulbs and keep the standard flasher, but it is easier to buy an LED-specific flasher unit to replace the stock part.

• Member Contributer

Congrats ShadowJP88.

Nice bike, I loved my 6th. gen RWB. As far as I know the only issues were the Stator burn ups, and CCT's post say 50,000k's. The Rectifier/Regulator units are an improved version from previous gens.

Enjoy your new ride.

Cheers

Grum.

Fun at Phillip Island Race Track 2008.

post-30826-0-56445200-1456891309.jpg

Thanks everyone! :)

For leds, I was really thinking it would help the regulator but ok, I'll do it maybe later and install the vfrness during summer.

I forgot to ask whay would be the best suspension setup for the stock suspension? I'm 190lbs and drove pretty sporty, I do have side cases and will use them often
(I'm not planning to change them)

Dgordon, effectively, problem with getting a vfr is that nothing else compare to it. I was thinking about 7gen but here, the license is 3 time the price of the 800...(500 vs 1500$) and effect for the ninja 1000...no other true choice was in my mind (but the kawa vibes so much!) Too much love that V4 to do that move

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone! :)

For leds, I was really thinking it would help the regulator but ok, I'll do it maybe later and install the vfrness during summer.

I forgot to ask whay would be the best suspension setup for the stock suspension? I'm 190lbs and drove pretty sporty, I do have side cases and will use them often

(I'm not planning to change them)

Dgordon, effectively, problem with getting a vfr is that nothing else compare to it. I was thinking about 7gen but here, the license is 3 time the price of the 800...(500 vs 1500$) and effect for the ninja 1000...no other true choice was in my mind (but the kawa vibes so much!) Too much love that V4 to do that move

Regarding suspension, a lot of us go to Jamie Daugherty www.daughertymotorsports.com he is a member here and has a great reputation, as well as decent pricing. I've had all 3 of my bikes suspension done by JD, so I obviously would recommend seeking him out.

As far as the RR's job, it is meant to turn excess voltage into heat, so by reducing the amount of voltage drawn from the system means it would be working harder as it would have more voltage to scrub off. Not sure if is that simple but essentially that's what it is doing.

• Member Contributer

^^ +1 on JD's suspension. I weigh about 200,lbs and the improvement in handling was transformative. I describe it now to people that ask as a 'mindreader'. I just think what I want it to do and it almost instinctively does it. No wallowing in corners, no mid-corner corrections. It just tracks through with zero drama. There is more feedback up through the pegs, seat and bars, so expansion joints and bumps are felt more. I got used to it.

Thinking more on the # of RWB's, I don't recall any data on whether Honda made them in batches with sequential #'s assigned only to RWB's or interspersed RWB production with Candy Red models. So the serial number may or may not tell the story of how many were made. We may never know for sure.

I have both a Y2K yellow thang, and the RWB 6th gen. Get your self some white wheels and they instantly add 50 HP and drop the weight to around 400 pounds. I couldn't wait till 4/1 to post this, sorry, but having both is interesting. I take turns trying to decide my favorite, along with my 93 White thang. It is truly like trying to pick the best single malt Scotch. I just keep on trying.

355d6fc286ccc43300e379f89503b631.jpg

• Member Contributer

I agree on the white wheels. The Sebspeed clutch covers is the tits also!

vfr_zpstplw5ibc.jpg

I'd like to get a better look at the 900RR in the background . . . looks like it might be in mint condition!

• Member Contributer

I agree on the white wheels. The Sebspeed clutch covers is the tits also!

vfr_zpstplw5ibc.jpg

I'd like to get a better look at the 900RR in the background . . . looks like it might be in mint condition!

Not to hijack the thread but I redid it in 2012.

cbr900doneright_zpsef794313.jpg

• 1 month later...

The RWB color scheme was never available in Canada as a colour option. You will only see them where owners have purchased them in the USA and brought them up. I bought mine out of Portland and brought it up in 2009. I've seen a few around BC here, but not too many.

Archived