Instead Of Painting The Frame, How About Wrapping It?

hellindustries

Hi all.

Had a thought: Don't want to go through the trouble and expense of stripping the bike to have the frame painted black, but maybe it's possible to take a few bits off to wrap the frame in some kind of wrap?

Would obviously have to strip down the swing arm to get that painted, but it's not such a huge job by comparison.

Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I think you might have difficulty getting the wrap to adhere well to the cast sections of the frame because of the texture. I've only wrapped smooth surfaces, maybe someone else has some insight on this.

Hi,

I had the same thoughts, but I will until some of the other projects on this bike is done. I am making a single nut conversion and hopefully get the last parts in the next week.

I am willing to try this out, also because you can get back to the original color, if you don't like the black frame. please tell us if you try in it on your frame.

• Member Contributer

is this a joke thread?? :unsure:

seriously? you have to do just as much prep if not more for wrapping..

as for paint.. you dont have to strip the bike down.

you remove the seat and tank and side panels cover and tape up the rest of the bike leaving the frame..

wipe with acetone. clean it nicely.. paint with primer then your color.. or just use BBQ black if your going for flat black.

bbq_zpsfeec3a23.jpg

I used 3M carbon fiber vinyl on the undertail of my streetfighter. If you clean the frame well (with soap and water) and use a heat gun for the contoured and textured areas, it will adhere just fine.

It's pretty durable and easy to clean, and also removes fairly easily.

165F1010-69DE-4FDB-90FD-C0AE72BC6F51-205

340BB5EB-46FE-447D-8423-445019438079-578

IMG_5069_zpsju5nl2mw.jpg

IMG_5057_zps2lbiyamz.jpg

IMG_5235_zpssao62dkk.jpg

Seb's bike makes mine look pretty ordinary. Don't ever do a 5th gen.

Just don't use plasti dip on the tank. I gave my red tank a quick spray before a trackday so it kinda matched the black seat and front fender.

My knees wore through it after a session or two.

But I've also done the screen on my mt09. That still looks good maybe 6 months and 15000 ks later.

I plasti-dipped my Tiger's saddlebags to cover a previous owners oops marks. For 6$ it looks great. I have washed the bike many times, its been in rain, cold, hot, and even a dirt road or two and it looks great. I did a triple coat on each bag.

-PRB

• Member Contributer

In my limited experience, plastidip doesn't like heat all that much. It will stay on, it actually wore much better than I expected. But what was near heat didn't peal off, it flaked off. In little teeny tiny pieces.

I used vinyl on the frame of my SP-2 in order for the graphics to flow between tank and fairing. Part of that was on a cast section and it did seem to stick ok and in fact never budged in several thousand miles.

post-23373-0-86826000-1457111442.jpg

post-23373-0-23807900-1457111458.jpg

Archived