New Member & New Biker Uk

jackvfr

Hello all, Just a little intro. Got my 5th gen last september after passing my direct access so its my first bike. My old man had one tail end of the 90's so it was naturally an easy choice. Already fallen for the bike :) and so far I have had the wheels powder coated high gloss black, sprayed the forks and had PR 4 tyres put on. I have a Puig DB to put on but until April I'm living 250 miles away from the bike.

Heres a few pics of when I first got her and how she is atm, Cheers

post-34257-0-85387300-1453638471.jpg

post-34257-0-77596000-1453638492.jpg

post-34257-0-53152900-1453638505.jpg

post-34257-0-50546300-1453638512.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great colour. Welcome. Will be up your way in April for a trackday if you fancy it. (novice group of course) :wheel:

Great colour. Welcome. Will be up your way in April for a trackday if you fancy it. (novice group of course) :wheel:

Ahh no, unfortunately i'm moving back home to Devon end of March. Sounded good though! what track site you going? I drive past Cadwell most days are you going there or Blyton? I would love to get involved in track days when i have a decent amount of hours riding on road :)

• Member Contributer

Hi & welcome. Nice bike too. :beer:

Track days can be good with the right company; I'd recommend Martin Hopp, who does both track days & skills sessions - you'll learn stuff you would never have dreamed of doing, like deliberately locking your front wheel (so you know what to do if it happens on the road). But they are based up in your current area so moving to Devon will likely scupper that.

Some easier to organise training, once you have a few months riding under your belt, is the Bikesafe course, run by local constabularies. An excellent introduction to greater awareness and some good skills too. After that, try IAM or RoSPA. Advanced techniques which should be bread & butter for all riders. Then I'd recommend Rapid Training; I've done a few days with them and it's very, very good.

Enjoy your bike, she's a classic and you'll never grow tired of her.

Hi & welcome. Nice bike too. :beer:

Track days can be good with the right company; I'd recommend Martin Hopp, who does both track days & skills sessions - you'll learn stuff you would never have dreamed of doing, like deliberately locking your front wheel (so you know what to do if it happens on the road). But they are based up in your current area so moving to Devon will likely scupper that.

Some easier to organise training, once you have a few months riding under your belt, is the Bikesafe course, run by local constabularies. An excellent introduction to greater awareness and some good skills too. After that, try IAM or RoSPA. Advanced techniques which should be bread & butter for all riders. Then I'd recommend Rapid Training; I've done a few days with them and it's very, very good.

Enjoy your bike, she's a classic and you'll never grow tired of her.

Thank you for the advice Skids :biggrin: I 100% plan on doing further training to advance my road craft and ill always be open for traveling to places to do so.

Nice.

My 5th gen is my 2nd big bike (98 FZS600 being the first) - It's taken me 6 months to fully get used to it, though.
I also plan on getting PR4s and the rims re-done in high-gloss black, as the current original coat of black has seen better days.

I found that fitting some grip pads to the sides of the tank really helped take the load off my wrists - Have a look at STOMP - I had to use the generic large versions.

And: When is nice exhaust time? I got a Delkevic 350mm Hi-mount can for £190. Sounds fantastic.

Hello and welcome. Skids advice is good. Personally I favour RoSPA over IAM as their training attitude is more real world IMHO. Track days are good too but you're right to wait until you've more miles under your belt.

Nice bike too. I've still got mine and don't think I'll ever sell it.

Nice.

My 5th gen is my 2nd big bike (98 FZS600 being the first) - It's taken me 6 months to fully get used to it, though.

I also plan on getting PR4s and the rims re-done in high-gloss black, as the current original coat of black has seen better days.

I found that fitting some grip pads to the sides of the tank really helped take the load off my wrists - Have a look at STOMP - I had to use the generic large versions.

And: When is nice exhaust time? I got a Delkevic 350mm Hi-mount can for £190. Sounds fantastic.

hellindustries dont get get started on the exhaust haha, i've been looking high and low for awhile now. A16 road n race are getting back to me about making a high link pipe so ill wait and see. I have also eyed up GPR deeptone but i'm brassic atm :(

Although... I have seen many undertail conversions so if i can talk my old man into fabricating some bits up I may wait until next winter and do that. So many options. So yeah the stock zorst will go at some point.

This is the exact kit.

There's a shorter version, but it's not road legal in the UK.

With that, removing the airbox snorkle, and disabling the flapper valve, i've got a smoother low-rev throttle response and a tiny bit more power. The throttle response is notably improved from stand-still.

And here's how i modded the mounting bracket to be more secure. Nerfs the sound a bit, though.

Sz1Ko1I.jpg?1

Those are good exhausts with a great tone. A shame they don't come with a link pipe.

Im pretty sure they do as there is an option for high level and your normal level, unless i've misunderstood it all :S

• Member Contributer

Mmmm. Yes, welcome--and very nice bike! I have been watching eBay activity on 2000-01 blue VFRs for several months, so there will be yet another beautiful blue bike on VFRD soon enough. I'm lining up my mod parts already...

Ciao,

Hello and welcome, shame you are moving back to the boonies :goofy:

I'm just up the road and there are, as you know, some great roads through the wolds.

Always liked the blue, nice looking bike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived