Engine Dies At Cold Start, Rpm Too Low

Dae

VFR 1200 DCT

Temperature in the Parking Garage 38F, After starting RPM is too (700) low and the bike dies. I took it out and bike died a few more times until 2 bars, in the temp gauge. I have a DCT model and can't open the throttle to raise the RPM in stopped condition. After it's warm up the bike idles fine. When I started out riding this morning the outside Temperature was -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). I noticed that after -4 Celsius the thermometer just shows two dashed line (- -) and doesn't read out temperature number.

What could be some of the cause for low RPM and bike dying on startup? I wish I had a manual bike in this condition at least that way, I can twist the throttle to keep the RPM up.

• Member Contributer

Most likely a bad ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) - the computer uses the value from the sensor to calculate cold start enrichment.

• Member Contributer

VFR 1200 DCT

Temperature in the Parking Garage 38F, After starting RPM is too (700) low and the bike dies. I took it out and bike died a few more times until 2 bars, in the temp gauge. I have a DCT model and can't open the throttle to raise the RPM in stopped condition. After it's warm up the bike idles fine. When I started out riding this morning the outside Temperature was -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). I noticed that after -4 Celsius the thermometer just shows two dashed line (- -) and doesn't read out temperature number.

What could be some of the cause for low RPM and bike dying on startup? I wish I had a manual bike in this condition at least that way, I can twist the throttle to keep the RPM up.

Sorry dude you have had a lot of problems out of this bike. I believe I would unload this bike (trade it ).

• Member Contributer

I don't believe your engine has a wax unit so a sensor or possibly corroded connector do seem the most likely cause.

If you're riding in -20C / -4F temps, you should also be posting in the wind chill games thread!

• Member Contributer

VFR 1200 DCT

Sorry dude you have had a lot of problems out of this bike. I believe I would unload this bike (trade it ).

He doesn't seem to have had that many problems as far as I can recall. Broken drive shaft and........? Considering he's got like 170,000 kilometers on it.

VFR 1200 DCT

I have 187,397 KM currently and for the most part has been trouble free. I had two failure propeller shaft and brake light switch. With this kind of mileage who would buy it, maybe U.S $2500. Back in 2010 I paid north of $25,000, it makes more sense to just keep it, until it's ready to go to motorcycle heaven. I know I'm suppose to have used high octane fuel but only used 87 octane due to the limited availability once you leave major city limits. It runs great except for low rpm start up, hopefully Honda technician will diagnosis the problem.

• Member Contributer

VFR 1200 DCT

I have 187,397 KM currently and for the most part has been trouble free. I had two failure propeller shaft and brake light switch. With this kind of mileage who would buy it, maybe U.S $2500. Back in 2010 I paid north of $25,000, it makes more sense to just keep it, until it's ready to go to motorcycle heaven. I know I'm suppose to have used high octane fuel but only used 87 octane due to the limited availability once you leave major city limits. It runs great except for low rpm start up, hopefully Honda technician will diagnosis the problem.

The plot thickens.

• Member Contributer

VFR 1200 DCT

The plot thickens.
What plot?

• Member Contributer

VFR 1200 DCT

The plot thickens.
What plot?

187,397 KM dude.

• Member Contributer

Wow, that's over 116,000 miles! It's nice to know that the long term reliability is good, especially after the new drive shaft gets installed. I assume your replacements were pre-recall.......

• Member Contributer

VFR 1200 DCT

The plot thickens.
What plot?

187,397 KM dude.
Oh, you mean the guy with the mostly trouble free bike? LOL

Dae, hope you get your VFR fixed and can continue to rack up the kilometers. I expect its a minor sensor failure as mentioned. I suspect nobody, any where has more miles on the 1200cc V4 than you. The fact that those are done around Seoul makes it even more impressive.

Thank you Swimmer for those kind words. I tried to start the bike today and it idled fine from a cold start, maybe it was a one time thing. If it happens again I will try the negative battery disconnect before taking it in for service.

Honda Korea called today and apologized for any discomfort that I experienced from the shaft drive failure and said they will reimburse me fully including tow fee. Honda representative left me his name, contact phone # and email address and told me to call him if I had any questions. As mentioned in shaft drive post, mine failed in mid 2013. I sent him photos of the failed unit on my bike and they want to have a copy of payment I made thru my bank account to get the reimbursement.

I will try to go out for a ride later on this week, currently too much black ice, don't want to risk it.

Thank s to everyone for suggestions and kind words.

Mine does that too from time to time. When the bike is cold, I cannot touch the throttle when starting or the motor will flood and die... then be a HUGE PITA to start. If you figure out what it was, let us know and I will see if my bike has the same problem.

With global climate change it's good to know that when the dash thermometer reads -- that it's less than -4F and the motor may not idle well, but I'm hoping my bike won't experience it in the near future.

Sure I get that. But let's say a bike is slightly out of tune (idle circuit) or filter dirty, etc. Does tugging the throttle to assist in hard starting, would that mean immediate flooding? Or no harm, it just will not help with the start?

you can't treat the computer controlled engines that way, you have to get them repaired.....like the earlier post said, most likely a sensor

Archived