Good Looking Modded 3Rd Gen

Looks like an excellent job... can't believe how far the fork stanchions project above the top clamp... looks strange... and I reckon I'd have cut off the fins on the back end of the frame given all the effort he's gone to... bluddy good effort, though. Would be interested in reading a write up for sure.

• Member Contributer

It is quite a nice job, as far as these things go. Hard to tell how nice, though, from just a video. Probably has F3 forks or something, which are quite a bit longer than RC36 forks, and then he lowered the front. (Looks like the dude is wearing a wrestling mask, doesn't it?)

The 3rd gen frame has those "fins" and it is hard to ditch them, given that the rear subframe (and the rear footrests) bolt onto them. My plan isn't to cut them off, but to fully cut out the centres of the "webbing", which would require a lot of welding to the inside of the "ribs" to regain the lost strength the webbing provides. They also block some of the heat, which would then flow out and roast my legs... But I'm willing to sacrifice for my art!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I'm not posting this in a fishing for compliments sort of way but I wonder how many replicas I've inspired via VFRdiscussion (the only place I've ever posted it) since I came up with the 2003+ CBR600R bodywork/KOSO gauges concept nearly 10 years ago? Man, how time flies. :schla15:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/32026-rcbvfr-frankenviffer-texas-style/

• Member Contributer

Looks good, but honestly, I'm mystified why you would want to make a VFR look like a CBR?

That's a good question. At the time, I had bought my second 4gen which was cheap because it needed all the bodywork fixed. After a lot of research, I narrowed it down to using the second gen CBR600RR bodywork because:

a) 4 gen bodywork was very expensive to replace (now not available in the USA)

b) 4 gen design and materials used were incredibly fragile (you can drop it on the right side and damage parts on the left!)

c) CBR was a huge seller at the time so bodywork was cheap and plentiful on the used market.

d) the red was a close enough match that painting was not needed.

e) mounting points were a close match so very little fabrication needed.

Archived