Motogp 2016 Season....with Spoilers

Mattie660

On 8/21/2016 at 1:30 PM, Skids said:

Woooohooooo....what a RACE!

Brilliant race from Cal, inspired tyre choice and a well deserved first win 35 years since Barry Sheene last won the premier class for Britain.

Excellent from VR too and particularly the 2 Avintia's.

And on top of out best Olympics ever, roll-on the British GP! :beer:

And I've just seen the post-match programme and the Moto 2 & Moto 3 results....best day for British motorcycle racing in.......forever?

Agreed, amazing results and great for Britt racers! :cheerleader:

Tire choices can be a huge gamble, but sometimes that gamble can pay off BIG!  

Watching how each tire choice came into or away from it self was also amazing to watch. 

Boy, does Lorenzo suck in wet conditions or what! :unsure:

BR

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

My head was in my hands when Rossi dropped back to 12th... But when the tyre choices appeared on the screen I got a glimmer of hope, because it was a potential explanation for his and Lorenzo's dropping back through the pack (although Lorenzo's dropping back was entirely expected!)  Finally, a good tire decision from Yamaha and Rossi (not to mention Cal), and it finally paid off.  Second in the championship, too.  :beer:

Of course, the alien's alien, Marquez, managed third on the soft wets!  :beer::beer:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

Agreed, amazing results and great for Britt racers! :cheerleader:

Tire choices can be a huge gamble, but sometimes that gamble can pay off BIG!  

Watching how each tire choice came into or away from it self was also amazing to watch. 

Boy, does Lorenzo suck in wet conditions or what! :unsure:

BR

JL was actually the fastest on the track the lap before he came in and wanted his other bike.  His crew chief tried to no avail to get him back out on his initial mount.  They knew the lap times and knew that Bradley Smith had just tried the set up that was on JLs back up bike and returned it to the pits.

I loved the suyper slow mo video of the entire center section of Ianone's front chunking out and hime still riding like owed Ducati something while Dovi parks it with a similar issue (albeit Dovi had 10 laps to go and AI had only 2 so not the same situation).

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CornerCarver said:

JL was actually the fastest on the track the lap before he came in and wanted his other bike.  His crew chief tried to no avail to get him back out on his initial mount.  They knew the lap times and knew that Bradley Smith had just tried the set up that was on JLs back up bike and returned it to the pits.

I loved the suyper slow mo video of the entire center section of Ianone's front chunking out and hime still riding like owed Ducati something while Dovi parks it with a similar issue (albeit Dovi had 10 laps to go and AI had only 2 so not the same situation).

The report on MotoGP had said JL came in because he had a front tire issue and wanted to have it changed out so he took the second bike so that they could do that.

I loved the suyper slow mo video of the entire center section of Ianone's front chunking out and hime still riding

And he still stayed out to finish without giving up or crashing--- couldn't believe the slow mo chunking front tire---thought it was going ta blow.... What a Maniac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

The report on MotoGP had said JL came in because he had a front tire issue and wanted to have it changed out so he took the second bike so that they could do that.

Sounds better than JL thought he could go faster on intermediates or slicks but found out he was wrong. He turned a 2:08 the lap before he pulled in.  His crew chief (Forcada?) is seen frantically trying to get him to stay on his bike and go back out.  He take h is back up out anyway and realizes he has totally cocked up this race as VR46 (and Loris Freakin Baz) steadily climb the standings on hard option rear wet tires.

Not slinging anything at JL this time as I was truly impressed with his pace in the wet once his tires started coming in.  Then the head games from every team screwing up in Germany (or Assen, I forget) has the riders second guessing when to come in for a different set up.

Can't blame JL too much for the mistake, if you can call it that, or unfortunate call if you like, if you don't believe his explanation. It's never easy deciding over tyres in changing conditions... Look at poor Redding who got lumped with intermediates, and by his crew... didn't have a say in it. Similar poor judgement was made in Assen for a couple of riders who lost out on much better placings by just one lap.

In fact, if you wanted to look at it from the flip side, the poor results achieved by all riders except the three with hard rears (one of which also had the hard front and won the race), if you were a harsh smartass, you could say they all made a dismal cock up choosing the softs.

Perhaps JL spent the entire race going backwards and he finally decided he couldn't wait to try whatever else he could get his hands on and play the lotto. Maybe he was so frustrated, or disgusted, he didn't even realize he could finally go faster than the rest... who knows what was going through his head. Believe what you like; he says otherwise and I believe he knew his rear was coming into the fore, he has his lap times on the instrument panel. That data is allowed to be displayed to the rider and he's no longer a rooky, 3 times world champion in the premier class.

Unfortunately for him, a rear that's working will punish a soft front that's not, much much moreso than it will a front that is working.

One thing is for sure, and I was surprised the commentators (Nick Harris and Mat Bird on this occasion, although I prefer Julian Ryder and Keith Huewen, or Toby Moody even better than the latter of the former two) did not mention it, albeit I'm not surprised that JZH did... the alien's an alien getting third on softs.

The rest were either mistaken, or numbskulls, right??!!

No, not right, it's a real tough call and only a few got it right or were able to ride through the "mistake" (sic); Marquez and Iannone.

To all the naysayers and lounge chair critics, you get out there and do it, say I.

• Member Contributer

Well MM basically said he thought for sure it was going to be flag to flag and when the track didn't dry out fast enough he then realized he had to manage his tires. Essentially he let everyone go by until near the end and then turned up the heat having saved his tires he was able to salvage a podium finish. Definitely a More Mature MM this year.

CC, 

One or several fast laps does not mean a Win! :wink:

When I said JL sucks in the wet I'm talking about the last 3 Wet Races where he sucked donkey kong and pissed away way to many points. even a little bitch can catch a fast lap one in a while! :goofy:

BR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Typical British (late) summer weather could cause a few headaches at the British Moto GP.

Friday looks a bit cloudy but should hopefully remain dry though the wind will be picking up. Saturday is forecast wet from lunchtime onwards and breezy too so dry Free Practices & a wet qualifying could make for an interesting grid on Sunday which should be dry but a westerly wind to deal with.

Bradley Smith is out of the race (and the San Marino Moto GP the following week) after a crash at a German Endurance race last week. A deep gash in his leg has required surgery and Alex Lowes (Moto 2 rider Sam Lowes brother) from World Superbike steps in to Bradleys seat apparently as a reward for winning the Suzuka 8-Hour for Yamaha. He tested the Tech 3 bike at Brno last week.

I'm due on a rideout Saturday but otherwise, I shall be watching every session live.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

I thought the FP1 commentary combo of Gavin Emmett & Julian Ryder was very good, and a lot better than Keith Heuwen who loves to hog the mic and often doesn't appear to be watching the same race as me, or at least the same tv screen.

Anyhoo.....FP2 should be interesting if tomorrow's rain forecast is to be believed. The seedings for QP1 & 2 will probably take place this afternoon so it could be a good un.

Missed the whole middle. Went to make breakfast after the the red flag came out, only 3 laps left when I got back. Even those three laps were action-packed, though. It's a lot more fun with some new top runners as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

A really good race too....well, for 2nd anyway.

A brilliant ride from MV...where did the Suzuki get that pace from?

And a thoroughly well deserved 2nd for Cal too. It's about time he was seen to be up there battling from start to finish with the aliens....and beating them. A very mature and characterful race.

Plaudits as well to Laverty & Lowes.....Laverty was 2nd after the very first lap!!! And for Lowes to score points was hugs. I think Yamaha will be very pleased.

Poor brother Sam.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SCguy said:

That sparring between Marquez and Rossi. Wow.

Great camera work.

Don't forget the scrapping with Crutchlow too! The commentators on MotoGP were loving it. They almost forgot about MV!

On 11/10/2015 at 5:49 PM, timmythecop said:

Lorenzo on a Suzuki would be very interesting. They are very close already.

told you Suzuki were getting it right.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, timmythecop said:

told you Suzuki were getting it right.

Yeah, but SO much faster than any other make/rider???

Excellent racing again, so many new winners this year is awesome.

I was really surprised to see MM take so many risks, one DNF could make things close again.

Good stuff all around! :beer: 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

Excellent racing again, so many new winners this year is awesome.

I was really surprised to see MM take so many risks, one DNF could make things close again.

Good stuff all around! :beer: 

On the other hand, I was glad to see MM take so many risks for seemingly little purpose...

After all, that 50 point lead isn't going to erase itself!  :goofy:

Ciao,

Archived