Fixed Cosmetic Damage After A Hit And Run. Update 11/14

Noobtastic14

I came out all geared up for a long ride with the wife to find the bike like this:

JCFx73Z.jpg

The only thing that really made it bad was the broken peg assembly

Vx8tNbf.jpg

As far as minor damage- some cracked plastic, dented gas tank, and a lot of rash.

nsqcPNQ.jpg

OzAVnXO.jpg

Rumor is that on a Friday night there were some drunk and disorderly types roaming around and I think they were getting on and off of it and knocked it over. Somebody could have also backed into it and then left. I know it didn't fall on its own because its been sitting for about two weeks through some serious weather without tipping over. Progressive is awesome and hooked me up. I got the bike for $4500 about five years ago and they are cutting me a check for $3000 to repair the damage. Now I know VFRD will get a bit rattled but I don't plan on fixing much damage haha I just moved to Arizona and will be using the money to get back into riding in the dirt as well as the street. SO, I still don't want to ride around with shameful rashed fairings that I didn't cause. The quick and dirty solution was using the bikes natural body lines to add black to all the red and allowing it to cover the bad spots.

a0PPuR9.jpg

RQSQItj.jpg

iuMyYhB.jpg

zTEnfHG.jpg

I didn't fill the scratches so they can still be seen if you're up close and looking for it but I did sand them pretty smooth while prepping for paint.

Thanks for looking

-Drew

• Member Contributer

It sure sucks that there are dirtbags like that around. :mad: Sorry for your misfortune. Looks though, like you are making lemonade from lemons - the paint repair looks good!

Ack, a terrible sight. I'm sure I would be fully PO'd. Also sure it would do no good.

Ride on, ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Decals or black tape are great to cover up cracks and scratches!

Been there, still doing it! :beer:

as for the scum that did this.....

(just kidding ok?)

Small update:

The new peg bracket is installed

Chain is adjusted

Battery is charged

and last but not least-

I used a bit of spray tint to shoot the indicators dark!

0t4cj2i.jpg

I'm haven't been on the road enough to decide if they are too dark or not. If they are dark enough that the indicators are not visible I may just shoot them black and use the amber LEDs in the mirrors for turn signals.

CgUHjGn.jpg

Thanks for looking

-Drew

The baffle in the tip does a pretty good job of keeping the noise manageable. If anything I might get the cat cut out and a muffler welded in Buell style.

-Drew

Drew, thank you for detailing your experience. You did a great job with the bike.

Are you going to buy a dirt bike or do you have one already?

Tomorrow I'm picking up an 07 WR450 for trail and dune use! Super excited!

-Drew

• Member Contributer

Good plan on the inexpensive fix, the paint looks fine like that and it does hide the damage well! Any chance you can post a vid w/sound of the bike running/revving with that non-exhaust? What did u use for a baffle; custom-made?

Good plan on the inexpensive fix, the paint looks fine like that and it does hide the damage well! Any chance you can post a vid w/sound of the bike running/revving with that non-exhaust? What did u use for a baffle; custom-made?

I started with THIS but it was a little bit restrictive and sounded bad. I ended up shortening it and slightly modifying it until it had the right balance of baffle and flow.

I googled "DC Audio" and now get your drift with that muffler :beer:

Yeah my other hobby gets pretty intense...

0PGWelW.jpg

-Drew

Archived