8Th Gen Exhaust Can On A 5Th Gen?

Mikey

• Member Contributer

Curious to know if an 8th gen aftermarket can will bolt right in on a 5th gen? I have no problem with the OEM sound, it's the chrome and resulting weight loss is a bonus. I would much prefer a carbon can with a deeper rumble.

• Member Contributer

Fewer choices?? Feel free to advise on one that has a deep rumble and is carbon.

Fewer choices?? Feel free to advise on one that has a deep rumble and is carbon.

a very nice high mount kit. they make a bigger one too, a version of which i have for my 6th gen and could not be happier.

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=113910_114383_114657_114669&product_id=1429

Per owners, Micron supposedly had the best sounding pipes for VFRs. Very deep, rich, especially with their CF models.

Thing is, I never could find out for good if they are out of business or still making pipes, as a few years ago they supposedly did go bust, but then I was still seeing ads for Micron pipes for sale long after that......

Delkivic, the cheapest exhaust known to ebay,

on a scale from 1=pep boys to 10=akrapovic,

it scores a 2.5

"very nice".

boy, you're just "holier than thou" all over these forums aren't you? i have experience with a wide range of aftermarket exhaust, and the bang for your buck you get from delkevic is unmatched. i was VERY impressed with the quality and fitment. not everyone can afford a grand per can when they don't offer any extra noticeable performance. just a little red pitchfork on the side.

• Member Contributer

The Staintunes on my 08 VFR sound very, very good with the baffles out.

it scores a 2.5

"very nice".

boy, you're just "holier than thou" all over these forums aren't you? i have experience with a wide range of aftermarket exhaust, and the bang for your buck you get from delkevic is unmatched. i was VERY impressed with the quality and fitment. not everyone can afford a grand per can when they don't offer any extra noticeable performance. just a little red pitchfork on the side.

Lol relax, its just a slip on, I dont know what bang for the buck you are talking about here. It is just a pipe with a cheap muffler at the end of it. There was no engineering or RD put in to it. Until someone steps up and offers a real, performance oriented full system, there is nothing worth writing home about.

it scores a 2.5

"very nice".

Lol relax, its just a slip on, I dont know what bang for the buck you are talking about here. It is just a pipe with a cheap muffler at the end of it. There was no engineering or RD put in to it. Until someone steps up and offers a real, performance oriented full system, there is nothing worth writing home about.

then im confused why are you giving it a 2.5. the akrapovic is a pipe with just a more expensive muffler on it.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Wasn't Delkavic started by a former Akrapovic rep? Love mine. It's a damn slip on, doesn't need to be made of unobtainium

LOL. That's probably what they wanted you to think... :happy:

Delkavic is a brand owned by DK Motorcycles, which I believe began as a bike breakers (salvage yard) in the North of England, later began making loads of money in the "grey imports" business in the 1990s and now is probably eBay's largest motorcycle exhaust seller. They also supposedly have the largest motorcycle showroom in the UK. At one time they manufactured wheels as well (under the Delkevic brand), and were planning to manufacture 17" NC35 rear wheels, but they never seem to have managed it. (They do still make wheels--OEM knock-offs, apparently.) An interesting business, to be sure.

[Edit: While I'm going down memory lane, Akrapovic was originally known as Skorpion, but I heard that the UK's Scorpion exhausts forced them to re-brand in the late 1990s, due to alleged trademark infringement...]

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I sent an e-mail along to TBR and inquired if a TBR S1R Slip On system for a 2014-2015 VFR would work on a 99' VFR and the reply was it wont fit, too many differences.

If there is anyone out there who has accomplished this then I'm all in, but I'm not ready to spend $600US and then have to hack the exhaust into place.

When I first got my gen 8 there were not many aftermarket cans around. I suspected that a 5th gen can might fit so I borrowed an OEM 5th gen can and it fitted exactly right down to the passenger footpeg hanger.

Honda have been using the same exhaust geometry for years since 98 and even the 6th gen cat box exit is the same as the 5th gen and the 8th gen.

You would have no problem fitting an 8th gen pipe to a 5th gen despite what they say.

I suspect that the VFR800X is the same as well but cant verify that.

The only difference with the 4th gen is the flanged joint to the headers at the end of the link pipe

I also have a 4th gen and the only difference is the link pipe connection.

• Member Contributer

Of course they said it wont fit.

Typical TBR response, in other words.

customer-services.jpg

Ciao,

Archived