Brake Caliper Bolts - Single Use?

Rectaltronics

• Member Contributer

Those of you paying attention to the RC79 Instant Suspension Tune thread will know that I changed out my stock tires a few weeks ago.

I went strictly by the manual for pretty much everything, including the bizarre tighten / loosen / tighten procedure for the bits on the front forks. Everything except one thing...

The manual says all the bolts holding the brake calipers on are supposed to be replaced with new bolts.

Really? New bolts with every tire change and brake job? At $11+ apiece..?

What's the liability, having not replaced them? Or, how many remove/install cycles can we get away with and why?

What are the chances that a Honda dealer shop would ever even bother?

FWIW I see the same bolts are also used on every CBR600RR since 2005.

• Member Contributer

I call BS. I don't use any scientific procedure to measure the bolts, but as long as they don't appear to be stretched or distorted, I just put some lock-tite on them and re-install them.

• Member Contributer

I just check them visually, put them back in, and tighten to spec. Never had one loosen up or be anything but tight when time comes to take them back out again. I don't use Loktite because I don't feel it's necessary. But that's just the way I feel about it.

I've installed over 40 sets of tires on my 02 VFR and have replaced 1 bolt in that time, also i never use Locktite either as the bolts only have to go less then 4k miles w/o falling out.

BR

I got stitched by my dealer in the UK on my 2015 VFR800 when I got a set of new tyres. They said the hollow bolts holding the calipers on should be replaced. £7each, I recall, so each front tyre is suddenly £28 more expensive.

• Member Contributer

The dealer will follow the documented procedure, that is not stiching...

If next time he refuses to reuse the bolts, that would be a different matter.

There is a line of 3rd party repair manuals (in German) by the Bucheli publishing house. I got their manual for the NC700, where replacement of the bolts is specified as well (probably the same for all current models).

In the author's opinion, replacement is not necessary, but he does recommend using a product like Loctite (medium strength). Generally, nobody but licenced Honda repair shops replaces these.

Where do you get the titanium bolts from? Looks good, did you do the ones around the disc as well. I have another bike that needs some.

Various places - Pro-Bolt (the stainless steel mudguard bolts), Titan Classics (the axle and disc bolts) and Competition Fasteners on eBay.

Archived