Need To Make A Decision

RandomGRK

Hi all

I've been doing circles in my head for two weeks. Test rode both the 2014 VFR800 DLX and the 2010 VFR1200F back to back. Both bikes are superb but I just can't make a decision. My test rides were quite short so I didn't get too much time.

I know everything is personal and subjective but if you were in the market and you could get eithet bike for about $9k, never registered, what would you go for?

I assume this has been asked but I'm like an addict, devouring every piece of information and further confusing myself.

My commute is 60miles round trip and very boring if that means anything and I try squeeze in some fun rides every now and then.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Both have their pros and cons... the 800 is more nimble due to lower weight, and hence better in commuter traffic, where as the 1200 needs less maintenance effort on account of being a shaft-drive. But ultimately it comes back to which one speaks to you more. I'd be twisting the dealer's arm to get a more comprehensive back-to-back test-ride, and see which one puts a bigger smile on your face.

I'm in the same boat as you. But I've been able to rode the 1200 a bit more than the 800, and I was alone when I test the 1200, not the 800.

What I can say about the 1200 is that it is a beast of power, it can go fast easily, too much easily :wink:

It seem's to me a bit harder to push in twisties but when leaning, it stay more stable, it's like a train on his rail.

The 800 is easyer to push in twisties, power is almost only over 7000rpm because of the v-tech. The engine ask to run this high

But as it was a Honda test ride, I cannont push it as hard as I want, even less in twisties. But without any doubt, cause of it's weight, it is clearly easyer to lean.

The final drive also make a big difference, on the 1200, i feel the power more than on the 800 because of the driving shaft, it also keep the bike cleaner.

The difference for me is the price... an 1200 with sidecase and 10 000km, is 7500$, an 800 is 13500 + txs without sidecase... that's a lot of money!

edit

As NZcam said, the smile factor is the big difference! For me, it is on the 1200 :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I don't know but another way to look at it is you can't go wrong with either. Both great bikes.

Are the side cases a deal breaker? Maybe one has them and the other does not??

C

• Member Contributer

I also suffer from paralysis by analysis. When I have a hard time choosing between two things, I divide a piece of paper down the center and then list pros and cons for each in no particular order. Then I rank order them and pick the top 3 for each. Then it comes down to which factors trump others. Many of them are subjective so only you will know the answer. If the top two are big power and ease of maintenance, then the 1200 would seem to win easily. Maybe the answer that covers all bases is to negotiate a discounted price with the dealer and buy 'em both! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I might try comparing each to the bike you already have (a triumph tiger 800?). The approach would be: 1) determine why you want a replacement bike; 2) compare each vfr with how it would address your reasons for getting a replacement bike; 3) tell dealer you will buy one or the other but insist that you need to test ride your favorite of the two (or both) on your commute to work (which is 60 miles round trip so is a significant usage and thus bike MUST meet your needs).

Offer to give them a $500 deposit if you must to get the test ride to work and back.

Or at least insist on a 2 hour test ride. That is perfectly reasonable and a given on european bikes.

Never hurts to ask/insist. Its your money and they want it.

P.S. I've heard the vfr1200 has poor gas mileage relative to the 8th gen (plus 7th gen has a small tank). Do the math on your large commute and see if the monthly fuel cost is material or not. Even with low gas prices, it still adds up over time at 60 miles/day.

P.P.S. I just checked and your Tiger weighs 462lbs wet whereas the vfr1200 weighs: wait for it--- 591 lbs!!! You really need to spend more time on both bikes before you make a change. Its over a 100 lb increase to go to the vfr1200 over the Tiger.

The 800 is a much sportier bike than the 1200 but if you want to go touring especially with a pillion the 1200 would be my choice but for a great all round bike with some sport riding and some solo touring I would go for the 800 (which I have :) )

• Member Contributer

$9K for an 800FD is a nice deal. $9K for an early 1200 isn't as amazing as it initially sounds.

The 1200 not only gets worse mileage (well duh, heavier bike and more reciprocating mass/friction), it has a smaller tank too. So you'll be at the gas station somewhat more frequently.

But it does have a LOT more OOMPH.

But if you're like me, take it easy on the straightaways and speed up for curves, the 800 may be more appealing. Might be easier to zip through Philly's traffic too.

You might want to make a list of pros and cons and do the simple math but in the end I'm betting you'll just vote with your heart.

Prioritize what you need the most of the bike and plunk down your cash. There's no truly bad decision, just different degrees of good.

• Member Contributer

One other method I've heard that I just remembered is probably the most important :)

Choose whichever bike that after you ride it you step back and stare at uncontrollably with a grin on your face and the one that brings a smile to your face every time you walk up to it.

Lol. Paralysis through analysis. To me that's a very real problem that is starting to affect me. Pretty much happens with every part of my life.

The pros and cons list says I should go for the 1200, my heart says I need to spend a crap ton of money and buy the R1200RS... Haha

Lol. Paralysis through analysis. To me that's a very real problem that is starting to affect me. Pretty much happens with every part of my life.

The pros and cons list says I should go for the 1200, my heart says I need to spend a crap ton of money and buy the R1200RS... Haha

I test rode the R1200RS, and the VFR is light years better. I'm down to the same decision you are. That BMW is not worth 20K.

I test rode the R1200RS, and the VFR is light years better. I'm down to the same decision you are. That BMW is not worth 20K.
Good to hear that...and how come no one is going all mental on the fact that it doesn't even carry 5 gallons and gets max 180 miles? Haha.

• Member Contributer

Good to hear that...and how come no one is going all mental on the fact that it doesn't even carry 5 gallons and gets max 180 miles? Haha.

Because nobody will have to ride with him and end up bitching about having to stop earlier than everyone else in the group.

Save the $20,000 on the BMW and buy both VFRs. Then you don't have to decide.

I've owned both a 7th and 8th generation. IMO the 7th is much heavier but still very smooth and great for longer trips. It has a ton of power. The 8th is lighter and feels much lighter, better in and around town, and curves. It also has plenty of on street efficient power. Really it just depends on what you are wanting. I would drive both more before deciding.

• Member Contributer

Uhhhhh....because it has 175 horsepower and a crapload of torque.......you can't go mental when you're laughing inside your hemet all day! When I first got mine I was amazed at the power difference. After my break-in period I decided to give it the full beans. It actually scared me for the first few months, now I smile and lean forward everytime I get the chance to crack her open!

Someone here posted a dyno chart that showed how much more torque and horsepower it had than an S1000RR up to 10,000RPM - talk about area under the curve.....more like plateau!

• Member Contributer

Uhhhhh....because it has 175 horsepower and a crapload of torque.......you can't go mental when you're laughing inside your hemet all day! When I first got mine I was amazed at the power difference. After my break-in period I decided to give it the full beans. It actually scared me for the first few months, now I smile and lean forward everytime I get the chance to crack her open! Someone here posted a dyno chart that showed how much more torque and horsepower it had than an S1000RR up to 10,000RPM - talk about area under the curve.....more like plateau!

Clearly I'm wired a bit differently from some of the folks here.

To each their own!

This makes me recall my good friend letting me take a ride on his R1.

Scared the f.., er, well, heck outta me. I immediately realized that with almost perfect certainty I would kill myself on that thing in some incredibly glorious (read: horrific) fashion, and very happily took my 4th gen VFR back. Never looked back!

Oh the good news is the R1 had brakes that were every bit as good as its get-up-'n-go. But still!

Absolute power and all that... ;)

Looking back now at how a 6th gen and an old 1980s 1100, the fastest in its day, produces the same peak HP, I start wondering where our power to weight baselines are going to be in another thirty years. And if we'll still be whinging about needing MORE!

Ride safe, kids! And be happy no matter what. We've got it pretty darn good ya' know.

• Member Contributer

Buy the R1200RS and you might as well open a joint bank account with the dealer, service every 6k, none of them cheap, crap gearbox, poor build quality (for the money) frequent recalls and electrics only BMW can work on ....

I've just got shot of my last BMW, they're living on a reputation based in 2000 not 2015

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't! I got stuck thinking financials too much. I like changing my bikes every year or so and my thought was, as good of a bike as it is, it's been sitting for 5 years and no one has bought it.

I'd basically be marrying the bike instead of enjoying a fling and I don't think I'm ready to settle down...ever. Im riding the Hyperstrada and Multistrada tomorrow.

The vfr is still on my radar but unfortunately, too many red flags right now and I've paralysed myself from making a decision ;)

Haha, I am still debating to replace my 5th gen with the 8th gen, or add the 1200 to the garage, or get an Africa Twin. I even did this comparison. If you follow the blue lines carefully you can see how similar the bikes are. And everyone says the 1200 is almost identical to the BMW K1300S, but it seems BMW copied the VFR:

post-23737-0-83296500-1440792985.jpg

Archived