Rain Gear

Lint

So, all indications thus far portend to a strong El Nino here in Southern California this winter into spring. Thank God, because we are drier than British Humor. So, this leads me to seek advice on who has had excellent results from their rain gear. Please let me know which brand and what you have put it through to test it.

Thanks,

Lint

I have this Nelson Rigg outfit (although it's about 6 years old). I've used it a total of 4 days including yesterday on my trip home (where it rained like Noah was building an arc). It is 100% waterproof and worked like a charm. And, relatively cheap. However, it doesn't breathe, so it can get a bit hot and sweaty after a while.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/apparel/stormrider-2-pc-rain-suit-detail.html#prettyPhoto

• Member Contributer

I bought Cycle Gear's Frogg Toggs. They're inexpensive and compact when folded. I did about 30 miles in a driving thunderstorm last month. No leaks. I believe they're made of Tyvek, so they will tear. They seem fine for occasional short term use, but I would likely opt for something better for daily or extended use. They also don't breathe well, so on a long ride trapping sweat would be an issue.

• Member Contributer

I hated having to stop then try and don a rain suit over wet gear. So I went with an Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece.

• Member Contributer

I just bought some Olympia Horizon gear (jacket and pants) based on reviews on multiple websites but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I like that the jacket has a built in balaclava to help keep out rain.

I picked up one of these recently. Have only tested in dry conditions, got it for a planned cross country road trip.

It claims to be waterproof, looks good in that respect. It's highly adjustable for fit. Price was right. Maybe I'll put it on and go play in the sprinklers for a test. :happy:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/suits/textile_riding_suits/joe_rocket/survivor_suit_2013.html

I also have 1 from Cycle Gear that goes over the leathers, cost $40 or $50 (?), and worked well, but was a hassle to put on road side.

Just don't bother with the cheap yellow ones from WalMart, you'll be lucky to use it once without destroying it too soon.

I had the Joe Rocket Survivor suit - definitely not waterproof. It is resistant but leaks in the seams and crotch. Sold mine.

Good to know. Resistant should be good enough for me hopefully. :fing02:

we are drier than British Humor.

BTW Lint, you got something against Monty Python? Because you know. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I have a two piece Gore-Tex suit that breathes well and is 100% waterPROOF as tested by two separate FOUR FULL DAY runs in downpours, One stretch in Washington/Oregon and one stretch in Minnesota/Iowa. Not cheap, not super lightweight like Frog Toggs but as dry and cool inside as your grandmother's Buick.

I've gone with Frog Toggs, and as Cogswell states above plus.....

- Packs reasonably compact - 6 inch dia x 10 inch long sack (= loose dims, can be compressed substantially smaller)

- Scotchbrite reflective stripes and piping (looking back I would choose another base colour besides black though)

- The portion I wore kept me dry during a 1 hour deluge that had cars (well, minivans) pull off the road

- Would recommend actually using the attached hood (that's built into the jacket) worn under your helmet as water flowing in through my helmets' venting and has tried to drown me.

• Member Contributer

I just bought some Olympia Horizon gear (jacket and pants) based on reviews on multiple websites but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I like that the jacket has a built in balaclava to help keep out rain.

I have an Olympia one piece mesh suit that's pretty good. But it's not raingear, so I considered Olympia for something waterproof. When I called them directly to ask about sizing, I also checked that the gear I was considering would be up to the job. "Nothing is completely waterproof" was the response from their rep. No more Olympia for me.

I have a two piece Gore-Tex suit that breathes well and is 100% waterPROOF as tested by two separate FOUR FULL DAY runs in downpours, One stretch in Washington/Oregon and one stretch in Minnesota/Iowa. Not cheap, not super lightweight like Frog Toggs but as dry and cool inside as your grandmother's Buick.

Who made your gear, Mailman?

• Member Contributer

Have a pretty good set up so far..Olympia AST 2 jacket....a bit pricey..but ..you can tell that something is working as intended when you don't have to think about ...

post-33740-0-82119800-1439095893.jpg

• Member Contributer

Who made your gear, Mailman?

Blauer makes my Gore-tex stuff that I get through a Postal catalog but I see they have a site for non-postal items. I'm sending an email to see if they sell the same suit w/o the fancy USPS logos - They should. It's an awesome suit.

Bass Pro, Cabela's, REI, North Face are all other manufacturers that should provide high end rain gear not necessarily designed for moto use. Just make sure whatever you buy has a high zippered or preferably a snap collar that protects your throat area. Mine has it but let me tell you, forgetting to fasten the collar has the same result as pouring a glass of water down your chest. - been there! Otherwise I'm as dry as an auto passenger for days on end. I'll get back to this topic when I hear from Blauer.

• 9 months later...
On 8/6/2015 at 5:14 PM, Cogswell said:

I bought Cycle Gear's Frogg Toggs. They're inexpensive and compact when folded. I did about 30 miles in a driving thunderstorm last month. No leaks. I believe they're made of Tyvek, so they will tear. They seem fine for occasional short term use, but I would likely opt for something better for daily or extended use. They also don't breathe well, so on a long ride trapping sweat would be an issue.

+1 on froggies...inexpensive, a wee fragile regarding rips (duct tape fixable), but easy and quick to get on over other riding gear. rode from Canmore AB to Golden BC last year in torrential down pour .. a lot of miles and ended up with a slightly wet crotch, but otherwise 98% dry and warm.

=

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2015 at 8:14 PM, Cogswell said:

My experience with Cycle Gear's Frogg Togg was different.  My sons's Frogg Toggs failed miserably while my Firstgear Rainman suit performed well.  The first gear pans started to leak after several years.  Nothing beats a good GoreTex lined Jacket and Pants.

• Member Contributer

I'm with joneill ....Buy yourself a something made with GoreTex and forget about everything else. I bought a separate rain set and I got mine in a XL so it goes over my regular gear. I just don't understand the recent manufacturing idea of making your inner most layer waterproof. Then you're riding in heavy wet outer layers and your gear looks like you dragged it down the highway in the rain. Yes - it is something extra to pack but after riding consecutive days of heavy rain the the PNW as well as the midwest during tornado season, only riding inside a car would have kept me drier. Some manufacturers require you to remove your jacket/pants and then zip in the waterproof inner liner. I don't like the idea of totally dis-robing as the rain starts to pour. I keep my rain gear in my tank bag and can have it out and on over my regular gear in under a minute. 

:cheerleader:GORTEX:cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I guess the answer is like everything else ....IT Depends!  If you get wet on an hour ride no big deal but it is another matter indeed if you are on a 3 week tour and it rains nearly every day like going to Alaska.

One of the best things I ever did was buy a GoreTex gear about 10 years ago.  If you tour carrying rain gear or a liner is a pain especially if you have to put it on and then off every time it rains as in you are riding thru showers.  The problem is you never know about the length or severity of a storm till it is over.  And an additional outer rain suite on tour takes more room and I already have too much crap. I went with Aerostich for both weather and rider protection but of course there are others.   To me like others have said the liner is a non starter no matter how good it is. 

I just keep on riding.

gallery_2144_2760_392073.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 8/9/2015 at 8:13 AM, The mailman said:

Blauer makes my Gore-tex stuff that I get through a Postal catalog but I see they have a site for non-postal items. I'm sending an email to see if they sell the same suit w/o the fancy USPS logos - They should. It's an awesome suit.

Blauer looks really interesting and seems to be a very good value. Here's what their Outlet store offers that's made with Gore-Tex

Archived