Keep The Best All Around Bike Of All Time..nbrainer, 2D Bike?

maxredline

• Member Contributer

Okay this should be fun. Your not going to sell the best all around bike (IMHO)

Whats the second bike in your special spot?

My thoughts;

-Don't need a tourer (the viffer is fine).

-Don't need a super sport (uncomfortable, unless going so fast that, well you know..Anyhow the Viffer can fill my need of handling/speed in lieu of comfort)

-Motard, major fun (as long as you are not going far).

-Commuter, cheap all around (only if you are looking for a small displacement engine or buy some workhorse)

-Vintage, can be super cool with compromises that all bikes have.(You have to check insurance coverage).

Having most of the bikes listed, at this point in my life, were I live and do my second bike would be...a Motard 400cc (or less).

• Member Contributer

I described my VFR's to some fellow riders as a bike that's "good at everything but not the best at anything" (except for being the best at being good at everything!). When I got a blank look in return I added "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand". IMHO VFR's are the best kept secret in all of motorcycling . . . My 2nd bike? Another VFR, of course!

I should qualify that slightly - IMO VFR's are head and shoulders above all the rest at sounding fantastic!!

The new Africa Twin is on my list to test ride, and possibly add to the best bike ever. Got the green light for a new bike, probably early next year. Looking at a new VFR, either the 800 or 1200, or add something like the Africa. Off road is the only thing the VFR doesn't do.

• Member Contributer

Ducati Multistrada or Africa Twin are on my list at the moment, but since I have 2 VFRs (5 & 6 Gen) and a Ducati 900SS, one of the three might have to go...mostly because I don't have anymore room in my garage!

I agree that the VFR is the best allround bike ever, and indeed, i will never sell it. But in the ideal world, i would have 2 extra bikes :)

- one for long range comfort, but still needs to be sporty. Either something like a BMW 1200RT (ultra comfty, and still surprisingly flickable), or a much lighter Tiger 800 XC. Lately i'm actually more inclined to go for Suzuki V-Strom 1000, because i dont believe european brands can match the japanse brands when it comes to reliability, and the VFR has me spoilt on that aspect (went from 36.000km to 86.000km without a single hickup)

- another one for track days :) Value of an old Aprilia RSV Mille seems to be very nice.

Ducati Multistrada or Africa Twin are on my list at the moment, but since I have 2 VFRs (5 & 6 Gen) and a Ducati 900SS, one of the three might have to go...mostly because I don't have anymore room in my garage!

I have room in my garage. You could store the Multi or Africa at my house, just leave the keys. ; )

If I wanted impractical, but fast and neat, I'd add a Triumph Daytona 675R.

But for something completely different that would be more every day useful, probably a hooligan bike, like a Speed Triple. I had a Honda Hawk GT as a "second bike" and it was underpowered, but what it was really good at was short urban errands. The VFR is really not so good at that--it's too big and heavy. A light, flickable upright thing was a a pretty awesome addition to the 5th Gen.

Nope, won't sell the VFR. The market value is low, the value in use is high.

Plus I spent $600 or $700 on a handlbar kit, luggage rack, and top case.

Makes no sense on a bike worth less than $2k, but so what. :cool:

I also have an 03 (1st gen) Aprilia Tuono, and an 07 (2nd gen) Tuono. MBD rocks.

Going with the N+1 formula, I would like to add a TuonoV4, preferably with all the electronic voodoo.

Also on the N+1 thought, a Ducati Monster, not sure of the flavor. Maybe a smaller bike.

Can I fit 5 bikes in 1 garage space? Maybe tight. Can I deal with the maint? Could be a hassle. :computer-noworky:

• 2 weeks later...

Co-"workers" saw me looking on Craigslist on the bike pages. "Don't you have THREE bikes already?" I quickly pulled out a pad of paper and drew up the N + 1 formula. "Then you're always going to be buying bikes with that!"

"Yep."

How I love stupid facial expressions.

• Member Contributer

I'll be keeping the 5th gen until it dies. As far as an N+1 bike, I'm thinking an FZ-09 or FJ-09 would be an excellent hooligan/in town/commuter bike.

I'm quite keen on the idea of an enduro/trail bike for a spot of green laning and something I can also learn to wheelie on without worrying about dropping it. I've just got back from a great ride on my Moto Guzzi Monza which included a stretch of byway which was a lot muddier and bumpier than I anticipated. It's kind of given me a taste for it and I am too kind to try and wheelie my significant mass on the VFR or Monza and they are both too nice to risk damaging. I was thinking of something in the 350-400cc range, 4-stroke, and already slightly the worse for wear - and cheap.

But for something completely different that would be more every day useful, probably a hooligan bike, like a Speed Triple. I had a Honda Hawk GT as a "second bike" and it was underpowered, but what it was really good at was short urban errands. The VFR is really not so good at that--it's too big and heavy. A light, flickable upright thing was a a pretty awesome addition to the 5th Gen.

I've got a Hawk currently sitting in the garage beside the VFR. It was my first "real" bike after graduating from an FT500 Ascot starter bike. Got it when I was 17 (way back in 2000...), its not going anywhere.

So, if Im going to add a third bike, I've been taking a long, hard look at the new Africa Twin. Something about it does it for me over any of the other ADV bikes.

Once I have my VFR up and running, the only other bike I want is a bobber.

I watched a guy on YouTube and was very impressed with what I saw. I instantly knew how I wanted it to look, paint job, etc.

05_spiritshaft.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've got a Hawk currently sitting in the garage beside the VFR. It was my first "real" bike after graduating from an FT500 Ascot starter bike. Got it when I was 17 (way back in 2000...), its not going anywhere.

So, if Im going to add a third bike, I've been taking a long, hard look at the new Africa Twin. Something about it does it for me over any of the other ADV bikes.

I also had an Ascot FT500 I sold after getting the VFR. I miss riding it small, light corners great but under powered and to hard to get 30 plus year old parts. Would like to see a modern street thumper. I would go for that. To bad Yamaha missed the mark with the SR400!

Got to take a VFRD's VFR1200DCT for a 100 mile ride on a great assortment of roads. Great bike, loved the power and brakes. Handled good to, but it is apples and oranges, so no a replacement for the 800. Completely different, but I know see when people think it is bad. I think the only thing to replace the "best bike ever" is the mythical 1000cc GDC version. The 1200 is a bike I would like to add to the garage though. Or maybe that Africa Twin...

A dirt bike for me of some kind. VFR is okay on gravel for a road bike, but gravel is not okay on the VFR.

But a dirt bike would be my third bike. I've got the second sorted already - a Vespa PX200. With a low mounted mirror it's perfect for filtering on the commute to work. I use the VFR occasionally on the commute, just to treat everyone to the V4 symphony, but the stronger clutch pull and managing the throttle at trickling speeds in low gear is harder work - and the mirrors are at the same height as SUV mirrors. If there's two SUVs side by side I sometimes have to wait a few seconds to get through, and that's just intolerable.

I suppose most scooters would do the job but the Vespa is so cool people are more indulgent. It means I can park it on the footpath right outside most places I want to get to, whereas I wouldn't get away with that on the VFR.

Africa Twin sounds fab but DR 650 is more pocket friendly.

Archived