High Speed Driving Legal Issues

I am usually an under the speed limit driver (motorcycle or car). Well, that all changed when I got me a VFR1200 machine. Been riding sometimes over 120 MPH. It is easy to do on the VFR and a lot of fun However, I have been ignorant of the legal consequences of driving at high speeds here in the USA. Over 100 mph you can get license suspended for a year as well as jail time. Time to slow down I guess. Regards

• Member Contributer

As well as a reckless driving charge and vehicle impounded!

Georgia even has the "super speeder" law. An extra $200 tacked on to you normal fine for a certain amount over the speed limit. This amount varies depending on if you are on an interstate, back road, or 4 lane highway.

• Member Contributer

Slow down or don't get caught :wink:

• Member Contributer

High speed runs are one reason I've decided to not own a bike with a fairing. It's too comfortable at go-to-jail speeds in a comfortable little air pocket. Going 100mph on a naked bike at least feels like 100mph. 110+mph pushes the helmet into your face if you don't have the chin strap tight.

The province of Ontario in Canada has a stunt-driving provisio where if you're caught doing more than 50km/h over the limit, the punishment is:

• Immediate seven day licence suspension of the driver of the vehicle.
  • Immediate seven day vehicle impoundment of the vehicle being driven at the time of the incident.
  • Fine amounts ranging from $2,000 - $10,000
  • Possible driver’s licence suspension of up to two years
  • Six demerit points registered on your record

A second conviction could have more harsh penalties with licence suspensions of up to 10 years and possible jail time.

The immediate seven day licence suspension and car impoundment are mandatory, even if the car does not belong to the driver who receives the ticket. All towing and impoundment fees are the responsibility of the driver and can add up quickly, from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

So needless to say, it wouldn't be worth it if I still lived in Ontario.

• Member Contributer

I am usually at about +5 - +10 over the limit here on most any road. A recent local "Citation Nation" segment on the local NBC affiliate showed that most departments here in Colorado will only stop you if you exceed 15 mph over the limit. That is an excessively generous allowance from those law enforcement agencies but if you cross that threshold, you ARE getting a hefty ticket. Maybe that's why I've gone so many years without a ticket (knock on wood) since I normally stay in the +10 area. I've had a few pucker moments but seem to not get noticed.

Back on topic... I will on RARE occasions, run it up to the 130 mph range on long, wide open, no side road, divided highways just for grins and then back it right back down to 80. I'm amazed at the stability at those speeds but also know that if anything does go wrong, it won't end well for the mailman. That knowledge keeps me from doing that very often more than the threat of a super-ticket.

There are about 10 segments to this series but this is just a taste of what the cops had to say...

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/investigations/2015/04/28/morrisons-lucrative-ticket-trap/26541639/

• Member Contributer

In NL, if you are 50kmh (after correction) over the posted speed limit, you receive an instant ban (handover your licence).

Government has up to 10 days to decide what to do with you...

Key focus will be on any prior tickets, where any ticket for >30kmh get recorded and kept for 2 ? years.

That will determine the fine; which could included a complete revoke or -on top of a hefty fine- a compulsory 2 day "behavior"training. so you need to take time off and pay something like a $1,000 in tuition fees.

IF you continue to operate a motor vehicle while your licence is pulled, it becomes a criminal offence instead of a misdemeanor..

>=40kmh over the limit but <50kmh will have the government look at your history and determine your fine.

<40kmh (don't ask me how I know) the fine is a straight forward 10 euro per km +6 euro admin fee...

Recording of the speed can be by roadside camera or laser-like devices, or by a video recording/average speed over distance travelled made from a police vehicle (who's equipment's accuracy is subject to regular testing and certification).

A video recording must be at least 16 seconds, no maximum. So there is discretion possible; stopping recording after 16 seconds although the offender is still pulling away, or continue measuring when the speeds have already dropped.

Much -imho- will depend on whether or not the police see it as a revenue stream or judge the actual circumstances on danger to self and others.....

don't ask me how I know but some Dutch police (who ride mc's themselves) opt for the latter. A 356 euro lesson nevertheless :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Gettin' in them triple digits sure is fun! I'm always amazed how quick & easy it gets there.

• Member Contributer

I will say that I'm the only person I know that has gotten a ticket (1987-ish) after being observed by an aircraft. I see the signs all the time, "Speed Monitored By Aircraft" Yeah right!!! Well, I can attest to the fact that New Jersey implemented aircraft on the New Jersey turnpike. I was told that I was going FASTER than the aircraft at one point but had slowed to the speed limit by the time I crested a long hill where the gentleman was waiting to greet me. About $200 lighter, he let me be on my way.

• Member Contributer

I will say that I'm the only person I know that has gotten a ticket (1987-ish) after being observed by an aircraft. I see the signs all the time, "Speed Monitored By Aircraft" Yeah right!!! Well, I can attest to the fact that New Jersey implemented aircraft on the New Jersey turnpike. I was told that I was going FASTER than the aircraft at one point but had slowed to the speed limit by the time I crested a long hill where the gentleman was waiting to greet me. About $200 lighter, he let me be on my way.

The signs we have out here say "Speed Enforced By Aircraft" I half expect a plane coming down from the sky doing a strafing run! We said "ENFORCED!"

Well I've had my 1200 way beyond legal. I try pick spots to unleash the beast.Not to say the law won't catch me. At 50 years old you would think you would out grow the need for speed,but it's addictive. I consider myself a safe rider,but speed is a dangerous thing on public roads. I love the rush of acceleration the 1200 delivers,but be careful boys and girls. It can hurt you if you don't respect it.

• Member Contributer

In Nova Scotia, Canada, 50km/h over the limit gets you an immediate $2400 fine, 1 year license suspension, who knows how many points off your license and good luck affording any insurance again.

CA has double fine penalty zones. Mostly where Caltrans is doing road construction. I wouldn't want to even think how much they will hit you for going 120MPH in a 65MPH zone....

• Member Contributer

Had FHP pull in behind me from an on ramp, single me out of a line of cars, then blue light, fortunatly just warning. When i asked him how the heck he knew , he just smiled and pointed up.

The biggest reason I don't ride the Cherohala Skyway is because the speeds I run. I have video.

I personally can attest to this !

• Member Contributer

Well I guess every upside has a downside, I personally have been pulled over in CA on the way to 07 laguna seca at 125 and was told to slow it down, and have gotten pulled over in Montana at over 100 and received a $40.00 ticket. Now I run about 10-15 over with some occasional brief bursts :wheel: I have been pretty lucky!!

• Member Contributer

Had FHP pull in behind me from an on ramp, single me out of a line of cars, then blue light, fortunatly just warning. When i asked him how the heck he knew , he just smiled and pointed up.

The biggest reason I don't ride the Cherohala Skyway is because the speeds I run. I have video.

I personally can attest to this !

How are you? Me and Grif were talking about you the other day. Hey I still owe you a lunch for the GoPro mount. Let know when you headed north and I meet you at the SlickRock Cafe and buy your lunch.

Canada, for the most, does not like motorcyclist ?

In Manitoba, sport bike insurance is ridiculous. Cruiser insurance is considerable cheaper. I have an excellent driving record,which gives me a cheaper rate. My cost is $1800.00 a year. A buddy has a Harley Electra Glide with the same coverage,and pays $1300.00

Manitoba govt has us by the balls,because we have no other option for insurance.

• Member Contributer

In Manitoba, sport bike insurance is ridiculous. Cruiser insurance is considerable cheaper. I have an excellent driving record,which gives me a cheaper rate. My cost is $1800.00 a year. A buddy has a Harley Electra Glide with the same coverage,and pays $1300.00

Manitoba govt has us by the balls,because we have no other option for insurance.

That's pitiful . I would be broke .

Well not broke but less rich for sure .

I have thought about buying Hondas F6B.The insurance difference would be alot less,but im enjoying my Vfr1200 to much. It is hard to pay the bill every spring though

• Member Contributer

I have thought about buying Hondas F6B.The insurance difference would be alot less,but im enjoying my Vfr1200 to much. It is hard to pay the bill every spring though

I dont guess you guys have any tax breaks on such things ?

Archived