Prb's 2Nd Annual Vfrd Fall Rally, Boone Nc, Oct 9-13 2015

PirateRiderBen

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a ride Tshirt?

• Of course, ride t-shirts are the only way I get new clothes.
    • Nah, I ride naked. It adds color to my cheeks.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wish I had the ST with me so you could hang with us BR. On second thought you did hang with us. 2 up. On an ST. Liz probably needs some professional help after that little tour. It was good to finally meet the mystery woman and tell her she is one heckuva trooper to ride with a total squid guy like you. :491:

Our Monday ride was fantastic with a nice tight group of seven but you would have blended in perfectly. Next time Kevin.

I am heading over to WNC in an hour just because I know how much it pisses off Gloryracing. :goofy:

KEB

Still have the grin from all the great riding over this event.

Thanks Curt and Rob for letting me tag along Friday and Sunday on The Snake (or Snah-kay as Curt says) and the Dragons Backwards Descending Testicle (whatever the hell the real name is = Great Road!) - they were very gracious to back-off their normal pace off for me.

Monday, well, let me just say that I agree with Sweeper; best day ever. Also because it was the last.

Tue and Wed I hung around the Red Rum Hotel to explore points south consisting of 143-261-80 and over to 226A and 221 - this too is "gold Jerry, GOLD!"

I started with a fully scrubbed-in Q3 and finished with something that will likely have to be changed before TMAC2016 - and couldn't be happier about it! Fantastic roads and even better people. Thanks Ben for all the work in arranging this event and I owe you a beer or two.

Q3 post 2015 PRB Fall Ride

2015-10-14

2015-10-14_2

2015-10-14_2

Post Script: Made it back home 24 hours after originally planned - having the bike in the back of the truck it seems the VFR electrical problems are contagious and dripped down into my my truck as after 305,000kms / 189,500miles my truck's alternator failed on the way back. Stayed overnight just south of Pittsburgh in Waynesburg, PA and was on the way the next day almost exactly 24hrs later. Only noticed because the wipers slowed down and the engine performed differently under load.

Minor issue in the large scheme of things. People I met must have thought I was a bit "off" (even more so than the average Canadian) as I was grinning and unusually good humoured through the whole episode (am still grinning from all the fantastic riding even now).

Thanks Curt and Rob for letting me tag along Friday and Sunday on The Snake (or Snah-kay as Curt says) and the Dragons Backwards Descending Testicle (whatever the hell the real name is = Great Road!) - they were very gracious to back-off their normal pace off for me.

Monday, well, let me just say that I agree with Sweeper; best day ever. Also because it was the last.

Tue and Wed I hung around the Red Rum Hotel to explore points south consisting of 143-261-80 and over to 226A and 221 - this too is "gold Jerry, GOLD!"

I started with a fully scrubbed-in Q3 and finished with something that will likely have to be changed before TMAC2016 - and couldn't be happier about it! Fantastic roads and even better people. Thanks Ben for all the work in arranging this event and I owe you a beer or two.

Post Script: Made it back home 24 hours after originally planned - having the bike in the back of the truck it seems the VFR electrical problems are contagious and dripped down into my my truck as after 305,000kms / 189,500miles my truck's alternator failed on the way back. Stayed overnight just south of Pittsburgh in Waynesburg, PA and was on the way the next day almost exactly 24hrs later. Only noticed because the wipers slowed down and the engine performed differently under load.

Minor issue in the large scheme of things. People I met must have thought I was a bit "off" (even more so than the average Canadian) as I was grinning and unusually good humoured through the whole episode (am still grinning from all the fantastic riding even now).

Wow never heard you say this much in person. lol

It was great chasing you around on Monday!! Glad you make it home ok and cant wait for next time.

Would be awesome if gloryracing was able to make the next trip. hint, hint. :woohoo:

Wow never heard you say this much in person. lol

I was great chasing you around on Monday!! Glad you make it home ok and cant wait for next time.

Would be awesome if gloryracing was able to make the next trip. hint, hint. :woohoo:

Now you're just bragging.

• Member Contributer

As predicted...sounds like there was an abundance of suckage.

Glad to not hear of any major incidents.

We talked about you a few times as it appears you have legend status in NC. I didn't have the heart to tell them your speed was just the result of drafting my ST1300. :beer:

Hey man...If you are gonna talk smack at least get it right! That big black turd you ride creates such a draft that me AND the two riders behind me were actually drafting off that damn thing! Don't you know the st1300 is supposed to be a touring bike! Only reason we all didn't pass you was we couldn't see around the big black blob....it's like following a black hole.

i think that is why he brought the CB500F on this trip. You should have seen him following me dragging a knee on the new CB500X with full Cogent suspension while riding 2 up with a recycling bin on the back. Silversteen was a bit different this time, too. I left most of my T30 on 281. It sucked so hard. Pics to follow.

• Member Contributer

Thanx for posting the album....some good pics. Now I understand your previous recycling bin comment. Based on the list of attendees, I am sure no one commented about it to you.

No one had any problems with the recycling bin, whatsoever. In my striving to be more like Kimball with his giant ST1300 black hole, I thought - how can I be more like a giant heavy mass that crushes everything into nothing while leading rides? The Givi really fit the bill as no one ever noticed the difference! In fact, they all commented on how sexy the new ride lead looked, although weren't really sure why (probably because it is an Italian recycling bin). The only notable complaints were for the "farting noises" the CB500s make rather than actual exhaust notes as they disappeared into the distance... You should check out these farting black holes, they are way too much fun and EASY to ride. The Givi was a much more efficient way to slow down compared with stuffing a pizza box in the bike's airbox as Kimball originally engineered. It doubles as a sail and can deliver pizzas or small animals (you know who you are) in a pinch. Win-win (or suck-suck depending on your perspective)!

You guys are so mean. Taunting us all afternoon with your pizza deliver scooters. Those of us on real bikes worked our butts off to properly flog them.

• Member Contributer

It seemed like a balanced group despite the displacement/weight differences. The VFRs could easily gap the CBs on the high speed stuff and especially with their ability to pass in short straights. The CBs are easier to ride in the tight stuff but the major difference in pace is the result of familiarity with the area, so no matter the bike underneath the difference is experience if you are trying to ride in sport mode. I followed the other group on Sunday when we met up on 16 and it felt like they were all rolling along pretty well on their VFRs with the same pace we were on the CB.

The best rides are the rides where everyone is comfortable and enjoying the road and the company. Occasional spurts gets the adrenaline going but the pace just needs a touch of crisp and decent rhythm and the rest takes care of itself. Monday's ride was an object lesson in how to have a great group ride. I love the way the group stretched and contracted like a rubber band through the mountains as it means we all got to throttle and lean at whatever pace we wanted to run at the moment, not worrying about keeping up or staying ahead. Great Fun.

KEB

The best rides are the rides where everyone is comfortable and enjoying the road and the company. Occasional spurts gets the adrenaline going but the pace just needs a touch of crisp and decent rhythm and the rest takes care of itself. Monday's ride was an object lesson in how to have a great group ride. I love the way the group stretched and contracted like a rubber band through the mountains as it means we all got to throttle and lean at whatever pace we wanted to run at the moment, not worrying about keeping up or staying ahead. Great Fun.

KEB

THIS!!! This mindset should be the first commandment written in stone and understood and adopted by all 'group' riders. Well said feller!

• Member Contributer

Well, I beat you for about 30' which is about where you caught on to what was up. :goofy:

Boys and their power displays. Absurd and childish.

Archived