Prb's 2Nd Annual Vfrd Fall Rally, Boone Nc, Oct 9-13 2015

PirateRiderBen

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a ride Tshirt?

• Of course, ride t-shirts are the only way I get new clothes.
    • Nah, I ride naked. It adds color to my cheeks.

• Member Contributer

Still have the grin from all the great riding over this event.

Thanks Curt and Rob for letting me tag along Friday and Sunday on The Snake (or Snah-kay as Curt says) and the Dragons Backwards Descending Testicle (whatever the hell the real name is = Great Road!) - they were very gracious to back-off their normal pace off for me.

Monday, well, let me just say that I agree with Sweeper; best day ever. Also because it was the last.

Tue and Wed I hung around the Red Rum Hotel to explore points south consisting of 143-261-80 and over to 226A and 221 - this too is "gold Jerry, GOLD!"

I started with a fully scrubbed-in Q3 and finished with something that will likely have to be changed before TMAC2016 - and couldn't be happier about it! Fantastic roads and even better people. Thanks Ben for all the work in arranging this event and I owe you a beer or two.

Post Script: Made it back home 24 hours after originally planned - having the bike in the back of the truck it seems the VFR electrical problems are contagious and dripped down into my my truck as after 305,000kms / 189,500miles my truck's alternator failed on the way back. Stayed overnight just south of Pittsburgh in Waynesburg, PA and was on the way the next day almost exactly 24hrs later. Only noticed because the wipers slowed down and the engine performed differently under load.

Minor issue in the large scheme of things. People I met must have thought I was a bit "off" (even more so than the average Canadian) as I was grinning and unusually good humoured through the whole episode (am still grinning from all the fantastic riding even now).

Yeah, we had an electrical issue also. Now, I don't want to mention Curt's name or anything...........but......SOMEBODY............had a stater and RR take a dump on us. We had just left the BRP to get gas, almost got taken out by a dump truck in a left hander that was ALL the way over in our lane (blind corner at that), then wound up going through the Bear Hunter Deluxe gauntlet with almost a dozen hunters standing on the side of the road spaced about a 1/4 mile apart with radar tracking screens for the dogs, and the battery had finally run out of charge and died at an intersection (without any warning). Of course they were doing construction there and we were on display like a circus act for all to watch/point at (ya know, leathers and all). A couple dudes were cool enough to come over to check on us and let us know there was a Walmart just down the road. We swapped batteries between the bikes (had enough charge to push start the YZF) and went and got a multi meter. Yup, verified. Got gas, took off towards Asheville to grab lunch and jump on the interstate. Went approximately 32.6 miles, grubbed..........and (ahem)..... "his".... bike wouldn't start again. Googled Uhaul, swapped batteries again, rode a few miles and rented the smallest unit they had, which, of course was a 40 footer. Oh, had to buy 2 sets of 4 ratchet straps, got the bikes loaded and tied down. And yes, there was the ONLY pile of dog $hit in the whole yard that.....somehow......we managed to run over, so it was oderific in the truck while loading. Finally made it home a little after 9ish.

Yup, still smiling too..........

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Still have the grin from all the great riding over this event.

Thanks Curt and Rob for letting me tag along Friday and Sunday on The Snake (or Snah-kay as Curt says) and the Dragons Backwards Descending Testicle (whatever the hell the real name is = Great Road!) - they were very gracious to back-off their normal pace off for me.

Monday, well, let me just say that I agree with Sweeper; best day ever. Also because it was the last.

Tue and Wed I hung around the Red Rum Hotel to explore points south consisting of 143-261-80 and over to 226A and 221 - this too is "gold Jerry, GOLD!"

I started with a fully scrubbed-in Q3 and finished with something that will likely have to be changed before TMAC2016 - and couldn't be happier about it! Fantastic roads and even better people. Thanks Ben for all the work in arranging this event and I owe you a beer or two.

Post Script: Made it back home 24 hours after originally planned - having the bike in the back of the truck it seems the VFR electrical problems are contagious and dripped down into my my truck as after 305,000kms / 189,500miles my truck's alternator failed on the way back. Stayed overnight just south of Pittsburgh in Waynesburg, PA and was on the way the next day almost exactly 24hrs later. Only noticed because the wipers slowed down and the engine performed differently under load.

Minor issue in the large scheme of things. People I met must have thought I was a bit "off" (even more so than the average Canadian) as I was grinning and unusually good humoured through the whole episode (am still grinning from all the fantastic riding even now).

Yeah, we had an electrical issue also. Now, I don't want to mention Curt's name or anything...........but......SOMEBODY............had a stater and RR take a dump on us. We had just left the BRP to get gas, almost got taken out by a dump truck in a left hander that was ALL the way over in our lane (blind corner at that), then wound up going through the Bear Hunter Deluxe gauntlet with almost a dozen hunters standing on the side of the road spaced about a 1/4 mile apart with radar tracking screens for the dogs, and the battery had finally run out of charge and died at an intersection (without any warning). Of course they were doing construction there and we were on display like a circus act for all to watch/point at (ya know, leathers and all). A couple dudes were cool enough to come over to check on us and let us know there was a Walmart just down the road. We swapped batteries between the bikes (had enough charge to push start the YZF) and went and got a multi meter. Yup, verified. Got gas, took off towards Asheville to grab lunch and jump on the interstate. Went approximately 32.6 miles, grubbed..........and (ahem)..... "his".... bike wouldn't start again. Googled Uhaul, swapped batteries again, rode a few miles and rented the smallest unit they had, which, of course was a 40 footer. Oh, had to buy 2 sets of 4 ratchet straps, got the bikes loaded and tied down. And yes, there was the ONLY pile of dog $hit in the whole yard that.....somehow......we managed to run over, so it was oderific in the truck while loading. Finally made it home a little after 9ish.

Yup, still smiling too..........

Was Kimball present and did he mention the fact you were do for a stator failure ?

Like he did me but he did help me get home .

• Member Contributer

Or was Matt present and I told him he was due?

It all started when i told my good friend with his RC-51 how impressed I was that his original charging system was still working at nearly 80,000 miles. He didn't make it home due to the Honda Electrical Trifecta; battery, stator and RR meltdown. I felt so bad I gave him my spare battery.

Same deal if I tell you it won't rain. Be prepared for the 100 year storm.

The seer of nothing

KEB

I guess I'm pushing it with 105,000 miles on my original charging system on my 02, so in order to be safe I just ride the ST all the time instead. Lol.

I'm betting you spend so much time leaned over, that the stator stays submerged in oil (at least in left corners) and cooler than the people that ride straight roads. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Or was Matt present and I told him he was due?

It all started when i told my good friend with his RC-51 how impressed I was that his original charging system was still working at nearly 80,000 miles. He didn't make it home due to the Honda Electrical Trifecta; battery, stator and RR meltdown. I felt so bad I gave him my spare battery.

Same deal if I tell you it won't rain. Be prepared for the 100 year storm.

The seer of nothing

KEB

KEB's forecast of no rain once resulted in a cell phone turning into a brick on one occasion. On another occasion, I am pretty sure we were riding offroad at TMAC after being promised the best roads that nobody knows and cannot be found on a map (or something like that). I blame The Girl, now that I think about it. I come prepared for anything on the CB500X these days. That bike is ready to scale a mountain without roads.

I guess I'm pushing it with 105,000 miles on my original charging system on my 02, so in order to be safe I just ride the ST all the time instead. Lol.

Time to donate that VFR to a museum. The whole thing is likely to fall apart the next time you thumb the starter.

I'm betting you spend so much time leaned over, that the stator stays submerged in oil (at least in left corners) and cooler than the people that ride straight roads. :goofy:

Baileyrock is "taking it easy" these days. He had a passenger on the last VFRD sponsored ride while riding some sort of black hole device very similar to KEB. Maybe Gloryracing will chime in, he seems to know an awful lot about those black holes.

Archived