Combined Braking And Lug Bolts

• Member Contributer

Was torquing my lugs bolts on the 1200 today with the bike on a rear stand and noticed the rear brake would not hold the wheel fixed no matter how hard I pushed. Had my son step on the brake and same result. I've never owned a linked, or combined brake system, but this seems odd. The brakes work fine on the road. Anybody else notice this?

• Member Contributer

I don't own a 7th gen, but on my 6th and 5th gens the rear brake on both holds the rear wheel still while I torque the bolts.

• Member Contributer

I'm in the same boat as Cogswell, don't own a 7 Gen but both my 5&6 Gen brakes hold the rear wheel enough to torque the bolts.

As already said it should hold it. Just as an aside, why not just leave it in first gear when torqueing so you don't have to hold the brake down? That's what I do. As another asides I assume "lug bolts" are what I know as wheel bolts?

I always torque mine on the side stand. The weight of the bike and friction of the tire to the cement helps hold it still. On the 5th gen, I can hold on to the rear passenger grab handles so it doesn't try to roll forward. I don't even apply the rear brake.

• Member Contributer

Well then, as I suspected, seems this is not a combined brake system "feature". Thanks for the confirmation(s).

• Member Contributer

I always torque mine on the side stand. The weight of the bike and friction of the tire to the cement helps hold it still. On the 5th gen, I can hold on to the rear passenger grab handles so it doesn't try to roll forward. I don't even apply the rear brake.

Same. Not much different than a car. Snug them up, drop it back down and torque while the rear wheel is on the ground. I don't even touch the brake.

• Member Contributer

I thought the question in the original post, was that his foot brake was not holding when applied, well it should be.

I thought the question in the original post, was that his foot brake was not holding when applied, well it should be.

It's been so long since I've tried mine that way I just don't remember. Mine is also a 5th gen, not a 7th, but I don't think my rear brake pedal will stop the wheel from turning either. Brake pads normally work better when they have some heat in them. Cold ones in the garage just don't grip like warm ones while in motion.

• Member Contributer

I would imagine glazed pads and/or rotors would prevent the brake from holding the wheel.

• Member Contributer

Same. Not much different than a car. Snug them up, drop it back down and torque while the rear wheel is on the ground. I don't even touch the brake.

I agree, and that's how I do it too. However, the rear brake should absolutely be able to keep the wheel from turning while tightening the lug nuts. Hot or cold. I can lock up my rear tire at any speed, in any gear, as long as I'm not holding the throttle wide open. Brakes should always be strong enough to stop a vehicle in motion, and that requires much more force than is required to torque the lug nuts.

If you can't lock the rear tire by applying the brake, there is something wrong.

Like everyone else said, it shouldn't turn with the brake applied with moderate pressure. Also, since I didn't see anyone address the other part of your question, the combined brake system will make no difference on using the rear pedal to hold the rear wheel.

• Member Contributer

ABS should be preventing wheel lock up at any speed above 5 mph

ABS would also only work with the ignition turned on, at least that would be my guess.

Archived