Battery Tenders

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

Is either of these Battery Tenders better than the other?

Battery Tender® Junior 12V @ 0.75A

http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-0-75A.html

The Battery Tender® Plus

http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html

• Member Contributer

The Plus is considered the upgrade. I would have to look up the differences between the two. Most people get by with the Jr. just fine.

• Member Contributer

What I got from comparing those two pages:
The Plus is larger/heavier, more expensive, puts out a higher charging current, has double the warranty period (10 years vs 5).

The manual link on the Jr. page covers both models and lists a few additional differences:
As one would expect, the difference in current tranlates into lower charge times.
Time frame from full depletion to full charge for the Plus: 9.6 hours vs. 16 hours for the Jr.

The Plus' LED's signal when the battery is at 80% charge, indicating that although not yet optimal, the battery can be used.

• Member Contributer

One concern I have is that the Jr. is rated at only .75 amp. The other is rated at 1.25 amp.

• Member Contributer

These are crap. Purchase one of these and you will be supremely satisfied :)

• Member Contributer

How satisfied do you need to be? These are battery chargers, not personal grooming accessories.

Full disclosure: I also have a Battery Tender. It's the double battery model and I use it for my RV battery, mower battery, motorcycle batteries, and whatever else is on hand. I've had it for quite a few years and it still works as well as the day it was new.

• Member Contributer

I have owned a Battery Tender Junior for 3 seasons now. It has kept the battery charged.

Buy one, it does exactly what you need and is relatively inexpensive.

• Member Contributer

I have several B.T. Plus units, the oldest is now probably around 15 y.o. - still works great. One is on my truck which is driven infrequently. I purchased its current battery in 2007 and it still checks out great.

• Member Contributer

The BT Jr is fine. I've got three, including one on the car. If they are in the garage, they are plugged in. With good batteries and good charging systems the time to full charge is minutes. Takes a bit longer for the car, but the battery is about 10X the size!

They blink green before going to steady green, so I guess there's your 80%.

Oh by the way, there was a scam last year or a couple years ago with an internet company selling fakes packaged and labeled as Battery Tender Jr. No idea if the company was involved, or if they got duped as well. But it's not really the point, so no need to speculate.

In any case, Deltran (Parent Company) found out about it and offered anyone who bought one free genuine Battery Tenders. No questions, no fees, no bait and switch. Send in the fake(s) and they sent a genuine one. Pretty good customer service!

• Member Contributer

I've got two Pluses and a Junior. Use them for winter storage. I have no issues with any of them. In fact, I credit the Plus for the life of my Honda S2000 battery. Still using the battery that came in the car when I purchased it in 2003.

• Member Contributer

They are battery tenders. Not chargers. 0.75A is fine. Have four of them and they do the job keeping them charged over the winter.

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone! :beer: That's very helpful. :tour: You're the best of the best. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have one of these cheap models from Harbor Freight, usually $9 but got mine on sale for $4.99 about 6 years ago and it has worked like a charm. I KNOW! it isn't from NASA and it isn't $149 and some people think that is what you need. Let them spend the money if they want to but this thing works and it is less than the last value-meal that you ate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

The junior is all you need for a motorcycle, there is also a waterproof version too. I have both a plus and the waterproof jr. Plus is overkill even for a car for the most part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived