Dmr Fork Catridge Kit Review

gig

• Member Contributer

Received my DMr fork cartridge kits from Jamie today, the fit and finish is Amazing. Will follow up with ride report next week. With Jamie's first priority being an expert tuned suspension, I'm looking forward to the ride, because the a qualify fit and finish of the kit is "Work of Art"!

Thx

post-23210-0-99872600-1426731396.jpg

post-23210-0-38750200-1426731969.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sweet. Are you going to do an installation thread too? I had done my '09 the old school way, by taking the whole kit apart and putting all back together with the parts I got from Jamie. He said the kit was going to be simple "drop in" setup but it would be cool for those who might be less mechanically inclined to see how simple it is. I know a few riders that are reluctant to do these types of upgrades because they don't feel they have the aptitude, tools or workspace. I offer help and my garage/tools to a few but I'm not local to a lot of members who might be on the fence.

Cheers

An install thread would be awesome! I already have some farkles to put on like an 8 spoke(after refinishing eventually) and the galfer group buy BUT the suspension would be smarter if I can do the labor part!

Edited by HRCCBR

• Member Contributer

OK", I'll do an install thread. Its is easy, but I'm not a good technical writer, so this might be my first and last, will see how it goes. :)

Great! I am sure it will benefit others as well. Got wrenches but the last thing I want to do is have to call the local place to come get the pieces and fix what I *&^*^$ up. (or have something fall off while at speed) LOL

Traxxion D sounded awesome but for the $2800 I got quoted I think the $1K for Daughtery (F&R) would be a better investment. From what I have read in this (and the other) forum it would get you to maybe 90-95% of the AK-20 and Penske combo for only 30%ish of the cost.

Edited by HRCCBR

• Member Contributer

Looks nice, been trying to get a set of these from Jamie, but he seems to have a pretty big backlog of work. Talked to him once on the phone, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my emails are getting routed to the spam bin. Anyway sorry for the OT, I'm looking forward to your ride report. Traxxion dynamics is still a contender, but at twice the price, idk... What other bikes can you compare the cartridge kit to? Have you been on a bike with a traxxion dynamics cartridge kit?

• Member Contributer

I asked Jamie is there were differences between TraxxionD vs DMr kits.

Response;

Yes, lots! The Traxxion kits are poorly designed and generate WAY too much compression damping and WAY not enough rebound damping. My experiences are they are marginally unrideable! My kits used tried-and-true valving setups that I've used for over 15 years so I have a detailed database of calculations and configurations to suit all riders and types of riding.

I installed the kits Saturday in two hours, directions with the kit are very detailed easy to follow. Most time consuming is taking forks off and on.

Should have rest of bike put together soon and will give ride report

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

My first glance I read "Yes, idiots!" :goofy:

I've got JD (DMr) suspension on my Franken5th, but c'mon. (Rebuilt SP1 forks, and rebuilt 929 shock) Marginally unrideable is a stretch! I rode an ST with freshly done Traxxion forks and new Penske shock that was set up by Traxxion and it was incredible. It was set up for 2 up and luggage touring, but me solo with no hard bags it still worked.

I understand he wouldn't want to say a competitor is making something equal or better, but take that with a really huge grain of salt!

• Member Contributer

Exciting. If you discover any helpful tips during the install pass it on. I ordered my front fork upgrade kit and rear CBR600 shock from Jamie and just received the invoice for the finished order. Hope to be installing the parts early April after I get back from Vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

My first glance I read "Yes, idiots!" :goofy:

I've got JD (DMr) suspension on my Franken5th, but c'mon. (Rebuilt SP1 forks, and rebuilt 929 shock) Marginally unrideable is a stretch! I rode an ST with freshly done Traxxion forks and new Penske shock that was set up by Traxxion and it was incredible. It was set up for 2 up and luggage touring, but me solo with no hard bags it still worked.

I understand he wouldn't want to say a competitor is making something equal or better, but take that with a really huge grain of salt!

I agree. There are plenty of people on here who swear by their TD gear. Penske has been in Formula 1 for some time, and the research shows that drivers get the best lap times when they have confidence-inspiring firm low speed damping, and supple bump-absorbing high speed damping (preferably using regressive damping characteristics). It was a while ago that I did my digging, but I think I found information confirming that the same is true for motorcycle riders. Hence why Penske has motorcycle shock valves that can induce a preload into a soft shim stack: firm low speed damping, and soft high speed damping. Apparently, TD's approach is the same as Penske's, with the Axxion fork valves being somewhat similar to the Penske idea.

Might I suggest that the owner of the said bike with really stiff TD gear might've possibly had the wrong viscosity oil put in by their local guy at the last suspension service before JD saw the bike... Or perhaps some other reason that wasn't caused by TD. Without getting into the cause of the issue that JD had with the bike (whether it's only perceived, or an actual issue), it's only an opinion: one that might not be correct.

• Member Contributer

I've got to second Dannytb's comments. I have Traxxion cartridges in my hybrid VFR/VTR forks & they are superb. The difference between quality components & cheaper mass production parts is the tolerance for oil control & the setup based on the rider/bike weight & the intended riding. These tighter tolerances allow the use of thinner oils which react better at higher speeds, froth less & make shim stack setup simpler. Racer don't use these quality components because they are expensive, they use them because the stock stuff is marginal at best.

The new BPF is the first stock fork that comes close to aftermarket for quality of function, due to the larger control stack area.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've used a whole slew of different fork products over the years and am an active dealer for quite a few. No names here since I'm not advertising...

I have no doubt that the reworked forks will be an amazing improvement. But as others have mentioned, to label TD's work as unrideable (or some derivative thereof) is highly misleading. I've run AK20's on my Speed Triple, custom valved Penske pistons on my Tiger, GP Suspension 25 mm cartridges on my FZ-09 (hint: Ohlins clone), and have AK20's on my sixth gen. I'll admit that I was never a fan of the AK20's on my Speed Triple. As far as the VFR? They are absolutely fantastic. The ride is sublime and feel is great. Want a secret? Most tuners spec spring rates too high for the road and the majority of riders misinterpret an incorrect spring rate as incorrect valving. FWIW, I'm running 0.95's with a geared up weight of about 200-205 lb.

I prefer the GP 25 mm cartridge kit all around, and definitely on the track. But for the road? The AK20's are a great product.

That said - keep us posted on your ride reviews. The aged sixth gen platform really transforms with proper suspension at both ends!

• Member Contributer

I sent that question to Jamie as a PM, probably should not have copy a pasted as is without letting him know, so he could reread and adjust any flipped or off the cuff remarks in a quick response to me. I didn't read anything into it until I read some of the feedback. I have PM Jamie over the years asking for advise on suspension set up, he has always taken the time to respond never questioning my race tech internals or suggesting his services. So I think he was responding to my PM not choosing his words for public scrutiny.

Ive posted a ride report and if Jamie reads this, which i hope he doesn't, Sorry!!