When Should You Replace Radiator Hoses?

Corey

Bought the bike used (5th Gen), so I can't say for sure, but I think they are the original radiator hoses. I am not having any issues with them, but I can't help but think being 17 years old that they should probably be replaced?

How long will the original hoses typically last?

Are all of the OEM hoses still available? If not, what are my options?

Also, how many radiator hoses are there in total?

• Member Contributer

Just examine the hoses for cracking/dry rot, swelling, and damage from things rubbing on them. Don't forget to check around and under the hose clamps for damage. If you are planning on doing a flush, you can pull some of the hoses off and check inside the ends for deterioration and gunk buildup. I've never had a radiator hose let go without any warning, even on vehicles much older than this. Though it depends on how many miles and what kind of storage your bike was given, I think my 17 yr old hoses are it good condition.

If you are looking to replace them, AFAIK, all the 5th gen OEM hoses are still available from dealerships. If silicone hoses are your thing, there is a kit available from samco. I priced this out about the time of the group buy and I think they cost about double the OEM hoses. The silicone kit is about $400. Available here: http://racebikebitzusa.com/samco-hoses/Honda-VFR-800-1998-2001-10-Piece-Samco-Sport-Silicone-Hose-Kit&filter=ATTRIBU=Honda=25=Manufacture@@ATTRIBU=VFRSPER=21=Model

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

You will have to drain the coolant.

The 3rd-4th gen have 2 small hoses under the carbs; so they have to be removed.

Donot know how this is for the fuel injected bikes.

My 4th gen is from 1997 and my bike will get its carbs cleaned and valves cheched for the first time next month.

So I considered changing the hoses, but the mechanic (who exclusively maintains VFRs) has yet to see a bike that required the hoses to be changed.

The SAMCO's are purdy, but a bit "too beaucoup" for me.

YMMV

• Member Contributer

You should replace them before they fail, or you could be riding being sprayed with boiling water & a huge cloud of steam. If you have a main hose split the system will vent in seconds & anti-freeze is extremely slippy so if it gets on rear wheel you will lose all grip !

So that's risk, you are right to be worried, when I removed mine at 10 years old, they were all perishing, unlikely to split for a while but I felt much better when they were replaced.

You need to remove the airbox & throttle bodies to get to the thermostat & the hoses attached to it, there are 5 that connect to the thermostat. All the others are easy to get to once the fairings are off.

• Member Contributer

If you are looking to replace them, AFAIK, all the 5th gen OEM hoses are still available from dealerships. If silicone hoses are your thing, there is a kit available from samco. I priced this out about the time of the group buy and I think they cost about double the OEM hoses. The silicone kit is about $400. Available here: http://racebikebitzusa.com/samco-hoses/Honda-VFR-800-1998-2001-10-Piece-Samco-Sport-Silicone-Hose-Kit&filter=ATTRIBU=Honda=25=Manufacture@@ATTRIBU=VFRSPER=21=Model

As mentioned in my "Yellow Peril" build thread, you can also use generic silicone hoses and bends, rather than fit a kit. There is one that is problematic, however, as it has slightly different IDs on each end (I think it is the one that wraps around the front of the stator housing), but mine doesn't seem to leak. Should be cheaper than the Samco set, but maybe not by enough to justify risking the potential leak.

Ciao,

How many hoses are there for the 5th Gen?

Best I can tell is there are 13 hoses? Is this correct? If so, how many of the 13 are actually necessary? I ask this because the Radiator Parts Fiche and Water Pump Parts Fiche show some breather and vaccuum hoses as well as the water hoses.

The following list is what I was able to find (13 parts). Am I missing something?

Should I also replace the thermostat?

1998 Honda INTERCEPTOR - VFR800FI OEM Radiator Parts

HOSE, RADIATOR (UPPER)

19505-MBG-000

HOSE, R. RADIATOR (UPPER)

19506-MBG-000

HOSE, RADIATOR MIDDLE (UPPER)

19504-MBG-000
HOSE, RADIATOR (LOWER)
19501-MBG-000
HOSE, L. RADIATOR (LOWER)
19502-MBG-000
HOSE, R. RADIATOR (LOWER)
19503-MBG-000

HOSE, RADIATOR BREATHER
19508-MBG-000
BULK HOSE, VACUUM (5.5X3000)OE
95005-55003-20M

1998 Honda INTERCEPTOR - VFR800FI OEM WATER PUMP Parts

HOSE A, WATER
19525-MBG-000

HOSE B, WATER
19526-MBG-000

HOSE, WATER BYPASS
19527-MBG-000

HOSE, FR. HEAD WATER
19528-MCW-H00

HOSE, RR. HEAD WATER
19529-MCW-H00

• Member Contributer

As mentioned in my "Yellow Peril" build thread, you can also use generic silicone hoses and bends, rather than fit a kit. There is one that is problematic, however, as it has slightly different IDs on each end (I think it is the one that wraps around the front of the stator housing), but mine doesn't seem to leak. Should be cheaper than the Samco set, but maybe not by enough to justify risking the potential leak.

Ciao,

The leak is caused by the input stub to the head at approx 10 o'clock as you look at the alternator housing. It's not 25mm/1" like all the other main hose connectors. To fix this, I added a single piece of heatshrink on the stub & shrunk it in place with a hair dryer. This makes the stub 25mm OD. Had that on mine for 3 years & no leaks !

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

The leak is caused by the input stub to the head at approx 10 o'clock as you look at the alternator housing. It's not 25mm/1" like all the other main hose connectors. To fix this, I added a single piece of heatshrink on the stub & shrunk it in place with a hair dryer. This makes the stub 25mm OD. Had that on mine for 3 years & no leaks !

I'll source some large ID heatshrink and have a go. Sounds like a neat solution to me.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

As long as you have it all apart, yes. And don't forget a new radiator cap as well.

• Member Contributer

As long as you have it all apart, yes. And don't forget a new radiator cap as well.

Why a new radiator cap?

• Member Contributer

Because if you are going to waste money, you might as well go large?

If it ain't broke..... :-)

Btw, now you guys jinxed my redslut. If she now starts to leak, it will be on you!!! :-)

• Member Contributer

Why a new radiator cap?

They deteriorate over time (rubber seal deteriorates - spring loses tension) and lose their ability to hold pressure. There have been threads about overheating that were solved with a new cap. They're cheap and a new one is good preventive maintenance.

• Member Contributer

After 55,000 miles 18 years not only were all the hoses replaced but also

all O rings to the spigots... along with new throttle body boots...

Mr.RC45's valley before and after 55,000 miles 18 years...

post-3131-0-88725800-1426966499.jpg

Whats left of the O ring

post-3131-0-06369700-1426966523.jpg

New hoses, O rings, throttle body boots

post-3131-0-66287100-1426966548.jpg

What do you use to clean out all that gunk ? Just a toothbrush and soapy water, or something else? I'd like to get mine cleaned up but I'm not sure what's safe to use around all the fittings and electrical connectors.

• Member Contributer

all this talk of failure....

since redslut will have her carbs pulled next month, I just might replace the hose(s) that are underneath thecarb only.

My reasoning is that all the others are easily accessible should one fail.

Looking at the fiche, it *appears* that the 4th gen/RC36-2 has 3 hoses underneath the carbs

Can anyone confirm?

post-8974-0-79232300-1427040088.jpg

So that would be #1 and 2x #9 O-Rings

Then near the thermostat

post-8974-0-77661200-1427040826.jpg

#18 and #19

post-8974-0-66865000-1427040978.jpg

hhmm contact us does not spell goodness re availability...

As said, am looking to replace only those hoses that are hard to get to; would require lifting the carbs.

As much as the SAMCO looks purdy, it is simply too much $$$

• Member Contributer

Here are the relevant pages from the 4th g FSM . . . It looks as though there is 1 hose from each head flowing in to the thermostat. Straight forward compared to the rat's nest of plumbing that the side mount rad bikes have.

IMG_zpstctqxcjt.jpg

FSM%205-4_zps2kx1m401.jpg

FSM%205-6_zps2owhrrxe.jpg

• Member Contributer

What do you use to clean out all that gunk ? Just a toothbrush and soapy water, or something else? I'd like to get mine cleaned up but I'm not sure what's safe to use around all the fittings and electrical connectors.

Due to the problem of corrosion I don't recommend using soap and water

to clean your bikes ever... I first dry brushed the big stuff then use

an acid brush and Acetone for all the nook and crannies and finally 3M

micro fine abrasive pad soaked in Acetone to bring a luster to the metal...

• Member Contributer

Well, my problem is "solved"...

Those two little hoses are no longer available, so the old ones will stay in place.... :cool:

• 5 months later...

I just replaced all the hoses in the v and the two to the wax thingy and the thermostat. I figured while fixing a leak I'd replace stuff, preventative maintenance. It wasn't bad but did take time. I also had to custom fit two of the hoses that i didn't get from honda. While in there a K&N went in, replaced the coolant and oil. I figure i can reach all the other hoses on the outside of the motor.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a photo tutorial for a total hose swap on a 5th Gen?

Also, how tight is too tight for the hose clamps?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/228-vfr800-9801-servicemanual/

Just download this .

Archived