The State Of Alone - A Month In Colorado (Non-Vfr)

• Member Contributer

Wow Brian just incredible photos! Back around page 2 I was starting think your bike didn't have a kick stand, it was on it's side in so many shots. Looks like an incredible adventure! :-D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Brian just incredible photos! Back around page 2 I was starting think your bike didn't have a kick stand, it was on it's side in so many shots. Looks like an incredible adventure! :-D

Haha yeah, I probably could've taken it off for weight reduction. Or I could've, you know, not brought things like a camping chair or bottles of wine.

Hindsight's 20/20.

I saved Black Bear for last. I figured I’d never survive it, so at least I’d have some fun before I died.

16450704617_5f8f5c7494_b.jpg

Sort of like Schofield: getting to the sign was the easy part.

16658001005_d9011d1076_b.jpg

Past the point of no return now.

16632056596_0a81d0e1cb_b.jpg

If you’re not afraid of substantial bodily injury or death, this is a very scenic ride. If you are you won’t even notice the scenery.

16656603471_4629ef4a2c_b.jpg

Might as well pick these and put them by my headstone. Shouldn’t be more than a few minutes now.

16470415008_6407e12c19_b.jpg

Step your game up.

16482325797_abc0474fa6_b.jpg

Ah yes, The Steps. Steep and sketchy on my little overloaded 250. The hype is real.

My proximity to the edge here certainly wasn’t lost on me at that moment.

16503458519_729efec941_b.jpg

Steps complete. Might need a 12-step program after them.

16470585860_e6bac4e40e_b.jpg

The road home.

16470581510_956c5b4b24_b.jpg

Made it to the falls with no falls, miraculously.

16632143036_6a3b16fd4b_b.jpg

Spent a long while here reflecting on the trip.

Actually I was taking pictures and talking to a smoking-hot blonde.

16656587071_30d2d499cf_b.jpg

And that was that. Back to the truck, and back to real life. Deuces. #iboss

The pulse of home beats

As one within nature’s heart

The State of Alone

16482587767_eee46742d6_b.jpg

In a rare non-sarcastic moment, just want to say thanks to everyone who followed along and had so many nice things to say about my photos and this RR.

At various times in my life I've drawn inspiration and motivation from other people's travels -- I'm simply repaying my debts to all who have written RRs before me. I suppose now it's on to the next adventure. This one was a lot of fun though, so thanks for coming along for the ride.

16503733939_fea94560f5_b.jpg

Oh and F-you to the haters! :fing02:

You inspired me...I picked up a DRZ400 this weekend.

And as is said here often, without pics it didn't happen. (Smokin hot blonde)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You inspired me...I picked up a DRZ400 this weekend.

Nice! I had one before the WR, and still ride my buddies SM regularly. Great bike - enjoy.

And as is said here often, without pics it didn't happen. (Smokin hot blonde)

Haha touche. Can't argue with that logic.

Fantastic pictures and funny humor!! Do you sell your pictures? If so, how big can they be made with the resolution you shoot at?

Thanks! I have sold a few, though not any posted on this report (actually none taken with the T2i -- all with my 6d). Most of the problem is the focus is very slightly off on the T2i, and the cheapo lenses I use on the T2i don't have great sharpness or optics.

That said, you can do roughly 23 x 15 at 200dpi, and 19 x 13 at 300dpi. Photoshop can upsize to whatever size you want though.

• Member Contributer

Awesome Brian. Looks like quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing!

• Member Contributer

Your trip was not long enough.. at least for me.

Thank You for taking the time to post all the fantastic pictures and taking all of us along on your adventure, I have shared your thread with my friends.

Like me they are in awe. :beer:

Have a Bud on me :wink:

• Member Contributer

Reading through I wondered why I never attempted any dirt adventures like this...then the steps video reminded me.

One of the best ride reports I've every read, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Brian, excellent report...wity, well written and always great pictures from you. I'd be embarrassed to release my trip report on a recent ride from Cali to NM and back because it would pale in comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome trip with amazing photography. Wish I could do that.... :comp13:

Brian, excellent report...wity, well written and always great pictures from you. I'd be embarrassed to release my trip report on a recent ride from Cali to NM and back because it would pale in comparison.

Sorry to set the bar so high...not really intentional. Thanks for the compliments though!

• Member Contributer

I just got a DR350SE a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully summer 2016 I get to see some of CO on it. Very inspiring photos, I enjoyed them tremendously and now look forward to next summer even more!

I just got a DR350SE a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully summer 2016 I get to see some of CO on it. Very inspiring photos, I enjoyed them tremendously and now look forward to next summer even more!

Nice, I always liked DRs. Even had a DRZ for a while. I only went WR because I wanted FI for all the altitude changes.

Someone somewhere inspired me, so now it's your job to pass it on!

• Member Contributer

Summer of 2016???

Is it in a 1,000 pieces :unsure: ?

• Member Contributer

Summer of 2016???

Is it in a 1,000 pieces :unsure: ?

No, Dutchy! I need to make some modifcations to the bike, and I nee to get REALLY good at riding it before I attempt Colorado! So, first a year's worth of practicing (and it is hard to pick between the VFR and the DR), and by next summer I'll be ready. :-)

• Member Contributer

If you want me to ride close behind you and "observe", just buy me a Trans Atlantic ticket.... :cool:

• Member Contributer

If you want me to ride close behind you and "observe", just buy me a Trans Atlantic ticket.... :cool:

You're such a dawg, Dutchy! :-)

Archived