Clutch Fluid Turns Black Quickly

WGREGT

Any idea what would cause clutch fluid to turn black (like oil. Really dark.) within a couple hundred miles after changing it? The bike has steel braided lines, and I know the fluid will turn dark if it gets mixed with air or water over time, but I don't think that's happening. Everything is tight from what I see. I haven't checked the clutch plates, but it shifts fine. This has happened over the last 5-10k miles actually. I swap it, and it goes black again within a couple tanks of gas.

The bike is a non-VFR, but that shouldn't matter really.

Thoughts on where to start looking?

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the brake fluid you are using (assume dot 4) is not happy with some of the "rubber" materials.

It's a simple system so either the master cylinder piston seal, the hose, or the slave cylinder O-ring. I'd guess one of the elastomers is getting soft & deteriorating. It's definitely worth a look.

Possibly someone used an incorrect fluid in the past and that caused softening.

• Member Contributer

Fwiw, my VTR1000F did this within weeks of buying it new. Never did figure out the cause but it certainly was due to wear or age.

I am thinking calipers.

Since we don't know the are or model of the bike, we just have to guess.

The calipers is were the heat is created.

If there is moisture in the lines the heat and moisture will start to eat away the aluminum.

I am thinking calipers.

If there is moisture in the lines the heat and moisture will start to eat away the aluminum.

I don't think calipers or overly high temperatures are an issue with the clutch hydraulic system.

• Member Contributer

Looked up my slave cylinder parts. Should I only replace the rubber seal, or should I do the spring (not sure how that would cause an issue with the fluid being dark) and the piston/cup as well?

IMO you should only need to replace the seal.

The clutch stroke is really long by comparison to what a disc brake / caliper would have to do. Logically the clutch seal should wear more than brake piston seals.

• Member Contributer

I did mine this summer and replaced all of the components, which are not that expensive. I've had rebuild experiences where the higher pressure of a new seal causes almost worn seals to begin to leak. It's a bummer to have to reopen a part you had diassembled a few days ago, especially when it involves draining and bleeding. As the saying goes, do it right, do it once.

My bad... I was reading through this earlier the wording and terminology is terrible...

When I did my first reply I was thinking brake fluid and brakes.

As I said with the Caliper,

The problem is going to stem in the Slave.

The DOT4 is overheating in the slave and or the Clutch line is routed to close to the engine.

The line is steel braided, and I haven't moved this position of the line at all. It's been in the same OEM spot for 80+k miles. And this "dark fluid" thing has only been the last 2-3 oil changes. I'll order a slave cylinder seal kit and see how it goes and report back. Thanks for the ideas.

I am thinking calipers.

I don't think calipers or overly high temperatures are an issue with the clutch hydraulic system.

Lmfaooooooooo

The line is steel braided, and I haven't moved this position of the line at all. It's been in the same OEM spot for 80+k miles. And this "dark fluid" thing has only been the last 2-3 oil changes. I'll order a slave cylinder seal kit and see how it goes and report back. Thanks for the ideas.

Generally, that black is from the internal rubber of your lines is breaking down.

It normally can be seen on brand new lines, for a short period of time, the fact your seeing it after 80,000 miles is more detrimental.

Braided steel lines is only on the outside, not the inside.

• Member Contributer

DOT 3 DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are Glycol based brake fluids whereas DOT 5
are Silicone based... Glycol based fluids are designed to signal
moisture contamination... the fluid will start to turn golden, then
light brown, indicating that it has absorbed progressively more
moisture. Eventually, if left unchanged beyond the recommended service
interval, the fluid will become dark brown, indicating high amounts of
water absorption and thus badly contaminated fluid... user friendly
Glycol based fluids also reduce the effect of both corrosion and
compressibility because it is not only designed to accept significant
amounts of moisture, but even to neutralize it by dispersing this
moisture evenly throughout the system, thus preventing its
concentration in any one area...

Boiling point of Glycol based brake fluids
DOT 3 205 °C (401 °F)
DOT 4 230 °C (446 °F)
DOT 5.1 270 °C (518 °F)

DOT 5 Silicone based fluid will not turn color to signal moisture
content...
Boiling point of Silicone based brake fluids
DOT 5 260 °C (500 °F)

If you wish to use the latest in Glycol base fluids then its DOT 5.1

• Member Contributer

Maybe this is an obvious question but have you started using a new brake fluid brand about the time the discolouration started? Maybe a cheap and easy check would be to refill the system with a different brand. If it happens again then BLS seems to be suggesting you've got a water entry problem, would that be in the reservoir cap?

The fluid has always been DOT4, but if you're asking if the brand changed....hmmm....could be? I don't remember being brand loyal to any brand in the past, so I could have grabbed something different last time. I checked the screws on the upper cap, and they were tight. It's always in a dry garage. I'm in SoCal, so I don't ride in the rain. (I drive the car the one week or so it rains every year.)

Archived