Mild Head Shake On Deceleration Only

EMTintruder

I have an 08 and I get head shake if I let go of handle bars when deceleration only I can set my throttle lock and smooth as can be, what is wrong with my bike ? Is it a common problem? Not making a habit of "no hands" but worries me still

Have you checked your tyre pressures? Have you had a new tyre recently? Could be unbalanced. Maybe at worst it is the steering head bearings, more likely tyre pressures, unbalanced wheel

To be honest if it was me I'd get both wheels rebalanced and see if the wobble is still there. Do you use puncture safe as this can cause a balanced wheel to be slightly unbalanced if the incorrect amount has been put in.

• Member Contributer

The bike should not be shaking it's head any time.

Head bearings could cause it, or wheel bearings.

Apart from the fact that you should never let go of both hands at the same time ever.

• Member Contributer

Having two different brands is unlikely to be a factor.

If you've just changed the rear, how old is the front? Prehap's its worn unevenly, some tyres do have a tendancy to scallop (the old BT020 fronts were terrible for this), though not so much in the newer models.

Bike just hit 15 thousand miles and you guys are right the from tire is cupping pretty, the previous owner put some kind of sinko tire on the front I had never heard of this tire, I just put some new conti-motions on the back, they had good reviews and we're the price I needed at the time

• Member Contributer

New front tire should solve your issue... check your head bearing to make sure they are not the cause of the cupping or you'll be back in the same situation again.

• Member Contributer

I've had four different generations of VFR, beginning with a '95 and all were susceptible to cupping of the front tire and handling changes which arise from the shape of any new front tire. I have no idea if this is unique to the VFR, but do know that a new set of shoes often made it feel like a brand new bike, and usually long before hitting wear bars on the front tire. Would love to hear from anyone who understands this phenomenon and if it is limited to the VFR.

• Member Contributer

DECELERATION SHIMMY

You have experienced a deceleration shimmy and it's normal... some
bikes may shimmy decelerating through the 45 mph range... keeping your
hands on the bars should arrest most of the front end shimmy... some
bikes shimmy more than others and it's no big deal with your hands on
the bars in the critical speed range... your bike should be immune at
speeds above 45 mph...

Deceleration shimmy is chiefly the product of non OEM or a worn
tires... it ain't the product of tire cupping... but low pressure
defeat the tire's corrective efforts... because every bike has this
instability... it is held in check by damping forces created mainly by
the tire's self-correcting tendencies...

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS

If you're steering head bearings are loose you'll notice a pronounce
clunk during braking...

If your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will weave and
not seek it own center...

Archived