Rear Wheel

3dcycle

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Great job!!

Do you have a weight on the 8th gen wheel

+1... 3D, please weigh the 8th gen wheel for reference. No one has a weight for that rim and some of us would like to know if it is lighter, same, or heavier... Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I am not worried about 6oz. IMHO 6 oz will not be noticeable in my everyday riding. hell I bet 99% of people that love the VFR will not notice 6oz.

I love the look of it, if people start to make the swap and I see them out and about, I can always tell myself "I started that" haha. If no one ever does the swap I can always be like "yea im the only one in the world with a 6 gen with a 8 gen wheel". to bad every one else be like, damn look at that retart he just paid $900 on a freaking wheel

• Member Contributer

clean it up resell it then get hold of me I can hook you up.

it will be at least 1 week maybe 2 before I have it with a tire on it, after I made sure the rim would fit. I boxed it up and pulled my swing arm off, that thing needs to be black. sometimes I drive myself crazy.lol

• Member Contributer

I am not worried about 6oz. IMHO 6 oz will not be noticeable in my everyday riding. hell I bet 99% of people that love the VFR will not notice 6oz.

I love the look of it, if people start to make the swap and I see them out and about, I can always tell myself "I started that" haha. If no one ever does the swap I can always be like "yea im the only one in the world with a 6 gen with a 8 gen wheel". to bad every one else be like, damn look at that retart he just paid $900 on a freaking wheel

I read your post on VFRW. Long Live "THE 6th GEN MILITIA" !!!!

• Member Contributer

I posted it already. but it is 13lb 13oz its like 6oz heavier than the stock 6 gen wheel

Sorry for the redundant repetition... I don't know how I missed the weight, I've been looking for that info.

Nice work & Thanks!

:cheerleader::beer::fing02:

• Member Contributer

Well ,now all of a sudden Im not so sure on the 8 spoke I just obtained, man decisions , decisions..........;)

Post up your results of weighing the 8 spoker.

• Member Contributer

clean it up resell it then get hold of me I can hook you up.

it will be at least 1 week maybe 2 before I have it with a tire on it, after I made sure the rim would fit. I boxed it up and pulled my swing arm off, that thing needs to be black. sometimes I drive myself crazy.lol

Lol, steps on a ladder man, steps on a ladder....;)

Well ,now all of a sudden Im not so sure on the 8 spoke I just obtained, man decisions , decisions..........;)

Post up your results of weighing the 8 spoker.

Guess I can use the bathroom scales, not sure how accurate they are...... Wife may have "modified" them........;)

• Member Contributer

old and new axles

IMG_1291.jpg

this is the only place where I found a big difference in any measurements that I took. the new one is a little longer

so all in all it fits, the threads on the axle do stick out past the nut more than original but I may order a 8th gen nut or stack another stock washer under the nut and it would be perfect fit.

oh and the wheel lip on the new wheel is a little different style then on the 6 gen so it was difficult to get good numbers there but I am pretty sure it is close enough not tot cause any issues

So, what's the cause of this? Looking at the parts microfiche, all of the other parts are either MBG or MCF (so, the same as the 6th-gen, I would guess, though I have not compared them), so why would the MJM (8th-gen) axle need to be different? A thicker brake caliper carrier on the 8th-gen is all I can think of off hand. [Edit: No, that is on the wrong side. Something on the cush drive side is taking up more space.]

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5501be7487a865115450cf33/rear-wheel

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f57af870021c54be7abd/rear-wheel

not sure unless part 13 on the 8 gen and part 12 on the 6 gen are shaped different making the axle longer, but again not sure they look the same. they are different part #s

• Member Contributer

Aha. That part is an "MCW" part, which means that it was originally used on the VFR800 VTEC ("MCW" being the Parts Classification Number for the 6th-gen VFR), but further investigation reveals that this part was modified in 2009. And so was the axle! (Actually, they started to use the axle from the 2008 CB1000R on the VFR.) So, if you had been modding a 2009-on 6th-gen, your old and new axles would have been the same length.

This also means that if you used the hub assy from a 2009 VFR, your length issue would be eliminated--assuming it fits.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5501be7487a865115450cf33/rear-wheel

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f57af870021c54be7abd/rear-wheel

not sure unless part 13 on the 8 gen and part 12 on the 6 gen are shaped different making the axle longer, but again not sure they look the same. they are different part #s

It has to be, it the only thing that makes any sense .

• Member Contributer

also noticed the axle NUT is a different # as well maybe its got something weird going on, I should have that tomorrow to see.

• Member Contributer

so the nut wont be here until Tuesday now. it got shipped freight with some fairings for another customer so it takes longer.. oh well I just media blasted my swing arm anyways.

Aha. That part is an "MCW" part, which means that it was originally used on the VFR800 VTEC ("MCW" being the Parts Classification Number for the 6th-gen VFR), but further investigation reveals that this part was modified in 2009. And so was the axle! (Actually, they started to use the axle from the 2008 CB1000R on the VFR.) So, if you had been modding a 2009-on 6th-gen, your old and new axles would have been the same length.

This also means that if you used the hub assy from a 2009 VFR, your length issue would be eliminated--assuming it fits.

Ciao,

Good detective work there John.

Another data point - the CB1000R wheel goes straight onto the VFR800 hub (but as per VFR800 rim onto 3rd/4th Gen you need to countersink rotor bolts or machine reliefs into the wheel mounting face).

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/hyofighter/vfr%20fighter/IMAG0816.jpg

• Member Contributer

I like the 3rd gen 8-spoker, but the 8th gen is pure sex.....

Went on my knees for these:

vfr13_zpsc306a273.jpg

vfr122_zps29dae7cd.jpg

Would go on my knees for these too.........

honda_zps1d490f2f.jpg

bavaria_zps551c3fd5.jpg

:goofy:

I'm with you Dutchy. Honda finally put a respectable wheel on the 8th gen. They went from heavy junk to BMW quality level wheels. I'm disappointed my bike didn't come with the options in your post though...... :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Got the nut in today. Here was the difference. So tightend it up to 100ftlb need to bring my bigger torque wrench from work tomorrow

post-13027-0-41956200-1456882186.jpg

post-13027-0-53746400-1456882215.jpg

• Member Contributer

So there it is all mounted and torqued. Ready to go. I won't be able to drive for a while to much salt.

post-13027-0-44282700-1456883035.jpeg

post-13027-0-35845500-1456883063.jpeg

post-13027-0-81686700-1456883080.jpeg

Archived