Tyga Racing Vfr800 Rear Sets - Anyone Interested?

Rush2112

Question

• Member Contributer

We have been in contact with Tyga Racing regarding the manufacture of performance headers for VFR800s. During these discussions a request for rear sets was made by Voided76 and Tyga responded with the following:

"[We] think the idea of rear sets is a good one... In general, making rear sets in the same family as the existing ones we make will be a simple and quick development. If the 6th generation can be made and sell well, we will certainly look for the 5th generation as the next type to make. It will also be a good indicator of interest and likely sales of the exhaust system. If in the meantime you can let me know on any other criteria such as position or adjustability, if our carbon heel guards to your guys tastes etc, it will all help make the project a success."

Link to Tyga Rear Sets below:

http://tyga-performance.com/site/index.php?cPath=71_24_507

I would like to gauge the level of interest in these parts. How about a straw poll on who's potentially interested in Tyga rear sets? The current price range on Tyga website for "step kits" (rear sets) is $155 - $251 USD. I believe the 5th gen rear sets, if made, would be more expensive due to the complexities.

Quote this post and add your name if you are interested..

6th Gen Rear sets:

1. Voided76
  2. Rush2112
  3. Duc2V4 ?

5th Gen Rear Sets:

1. Rush2112
  2. Duc2V4
  3. adeyren

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand a quick-shifter is a possibility with this (combined with my RapidBike module).

But can someone explain to me, besides a cosmetic improvement and maybe a little better traction on the footpeg, what are the other benefits are there to switching to aftermarket rear sets?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

I understand a quick-shifter is a possibility with this (combined with my RapidBike module).

But can someone explain to me, besides a cosmetic improvement and maybe a little better traction on the footpeg, what are the other benefits are there to switching to aftermarket rear sets?

Thanks in advance.

The ability to adjust the foot pegs go higher to keep them from dragging so much in spirited riding is the primary reason for adjustable foot pegs.

The VFR community may like the ability to lower the pegs a bit for cruising but that consideration would have to be communicated up front or it will not be available as the starting point was designated VFR stock

• Member Contributer

I would be interested in a fifth gen set IF they had some DOWNWARD adjustment. Occasionally my old knees need some relief on looooong rides. No interest in upward adjustments. I have not dragged a peg in a long time.

BTW: I've always thought the rubber pads on stock pegs helped reduce vibration through my feet. That would be a nice option. IMHO

They do look cool.

• Member Contributer

Can we get the 7th gen added to this? Nobody in the world makes rearsets for the 7th gen. Good op for someone to sell some.

As a 5th Gen owner, I think 6 and 8 are the best we can hope for...

• Member Contributer

UPDATE: Snowy's looking to schedule with Paul the evaluation and measurements in the next week

I would be interested in a fifth gen set IF they had some DOWNWARD adjustment. Occasionally my old knees need some relief on looooong rides. No interest in upward adjustments. I have not dragged a peg in a long time.

BTW: I've always thought the rubber pads on stock pegs helped reduce vibration through my feet. That would be a nice option. IMHO

They do look cool.

You'd be better off with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Adjustable-Riser-Front-Foot-Pegs-For-Honda-VFR800F-2014-/301384672941?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462bed26ad&vxp=mtr

• Member Contributer

They do look cool.

For 5th gens BLS lowering blocks are a quality alternative and provide the option of lowering the pegs or leaving them in the stock position and you get to retain the stock pegs weight and rubber to reduce vibrations... the Buell peg mod will lower them but you end up with all metal pegs.

• Member Contributer

Im in for an exhaust but they better make up their mind fast...I am anxious to get my project 5th gen going!

Or else you buy a_________ ..... what will buy exactly if they don't make up their mind fast?

There is nothing currently being produced with regards to the 5-8th Gen VFR 800s exhaust header that is any better than stock.

• Member Contributer

Im in for an exhaust but they better make up their mind fast...I am anxious to get my project 5th gen going!

Or else you buy a_________ ..... what will buy exactly if they don't make up their mind fast?

There is nothing currently being produced with regards to the 5-8th Gen VFR 800s exhaust header that is any better than stock.

That's what I was referring to CC. I have a Y2K so I would get a cat-less header.

• Member Contributer

^ OK...that would be a slight upgrade but nothing like a real system and Tyga's exhaust could hang on the wall in the High Museum here in Atlanta...they are things of beauty!

And I say slight upgrade in going to VFR catless header because you trade a stainless steel unit for a mild steel unit that has slightly larger diameter tubes...it does weigh less and flow better but new it is close to $500 now and used they are all crusty that I have found lately.

I think Tyga steps up before the end of the year with good news on the exhaust but I am an eternal optimist.

• Member Contributer

^ OK...that would be a slight upgrade but nothing like a real system and Tyga's exhaust could hang on the wall in the High Museum here in Atlanta...they are things of beauty!

Agreed again CC. Like I mentioned, I have their rearsets on my Hawk GT and love them. Their work is top notch and prices are reasonable. I would prefer to have a Tyga exhaust header (and even maybe the Maggot exhaust can), but hoping I don't have to wait years for it. I could always get the stock '98-'99 header and upgrade later. Its not like I would have trouble selling the stock/ cat-less header as long as I buy it right.

• Member Contributer

UPDATE: Snowy called & texted Tyga. Tyga will be reaching back out to Snowy when they are ready to bring the bike in.

From Tyga:

"Snowy has been in contact and will be visiting us in the next week or so. We will take it from there. Currently, most of our step kits are fixed and not adjustable so I am not sure how the VFR community feel about that. We can move the position to where the majority of users request them but normally it is back and up a little."

My Response:

"Hi Paul,

We are all very excited to hear your thoughts on the exhaust headers and step kits... I must admit I was surprised by your statement about most of your step kits being fixed and not adjustable; upon follow-up review of your website I see that is the case. I guess I only saw what I wanted to see. Would it be possible to offer an adjuster plate to offer some level of adjustability? I feel this level of customization and personalization is a desirable feature within our community.
In addition, I know some of the step kits that members want to purchase are for track bikes based on the VFR800 and the adjustability to get the correct ergonomics is an important feature. I know that may seem unlikely with what is normally a somewhat heavy sport-tourer, but we have been able to achieve significant weight reductions, USD fork conversions, rear suspension upgrades, brake improvements and engine developments. There is a lot of variety and modifications going on in the die hard VFR community.
Looking forward to your evaluation of the VFR possibilities and we eagerly await your response. Thank you!
Best regards,"

• Member Contributer

Does everyone want adjustable rear sets? Personally, I do... and 007 does...

Any one want fixed rear sets positioned slightly up and back and the option of GP shift pattern?

Please respond to gauge the group's interest and determine our response.

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

No need for reverse MotoGP shifting at this point.

The shift rod with the rear set gives that option... regular or GP shift pattern depending on how you attach to gear shift spline.

• Member Contributer

OK, so far it is unanimous... once we hear back from Mr. Carver (since he wanted 4 sets) and maybe one more member form the list we'll let Tyga know our community's position on adjustability...

• Member Contributer

Would have preferred adjustable, but not completely a deal breaker for me if they are up and back slightly.

• Member Contributer

Does everyone want adjustable rear sets? Personally, I do... and 007 does...

Any one want fixed rear sets positioned slightly up and back and the option of GP shift pattern?

Please respond to gauge the group's interest and determine our response.

Thanks...

OK, so far it is unanimous... once we hear back from Mr. Carver (since he wanted 4 sets) and maybe one more member form the list we'll let Tyga know our community's position on adjustability...

Range of adjustability for the 6 rearsets should be from stock location to up and back within the scope and scale as comparable items for CBR series rearsets.

Paging Mr. Carver... what is your position on the non-adjustable rear sets?

We have been in contact with Tyga Racing regarding the manufacture of performance headers for VFR800s. During these discussions a request for rear sets was made by Voided76 and Tyga responded with the following:

"[We] think the idea of rear sets is a good one... In general, making rear sets in the same family as the existing ones we make will be a simple and quick development. If the 6th generation can be made and sell well, we will certainly look for the 5th generation as the next type to make. It will also be a good indicator of interest and likely sales of the exhaust system. If in the meantime you can let me know on any other criteria such as position or adjustability, if our carbon heel guards to your guys tastes etc, it will all help make the project a success."

I would like to gauge the level of interest in these parts. How about a straw poll on who's potentially interested in Tyga rear sets? The current price range on Tyga website for "step kits" (rear sets) is $155 - $251 USD. I believe the 5th gen rear sets, if made, would be more expensive due to the complexities.

6th Gen Rear sets:

1. Voided76
  2. Rush2112
  3. Duc2V4 ?
  4. AWP34

5th Gen Rear Sets:

1. Rush2112
  2. Duc2V4

6th Gen Rear sets:

1. Voided76
  2. Rush2112
  3. Duc2V4 ?
  4. CornerCarver x 4
  5. MVinOZ
  6. AWP34

5th Gen Rear Sets:

1. Rush2112
  2. Duc2V4
  3. deltaboxii
  4. Checksix