Tyga Racing Vfr800 Rear Sets - Anyone Interested?

Rush2112

Question

• Member Contributer

We have been in contact with Tyga Racing regarding the manufacture of performance headers for VFR800s. During these discussions a request for rear sets was made by Voided76 and Tyga responded with the following:

"[We] think the idea of rear sets is a good one... In general, making rear sets in the same family as the existing ones we make will be a simple and quick development. If the 6th generation can be made and sell well, we will certainly look for the 5th generation as the next type to make. It will also be a good indicator of interest and likely sales of the exhaust system. If in the meantime you can let me know on any other criteria such as position or adjustability, if our carbon heel guards to your guys tastes etc, it will all help make the project a success."

Link to Tyga Rear Sets below:

http://tyga-performance.com/site/index.php?cPath=71_24_507

I would like to gauge the level of interest in these parts. How about a straw poll on who's potentially interested in Tyga rear sets? The current price range on Tyga website for "step kits" (rear sets) is $155 - $251 USD. I believe the 5th gen rear sets, if made, would be more expensive due to the complexities.

Quote this post and add your name if you are interested..

6th Gen Rear sets:

1. Voided76
  2. Rush2112
  3. Duc2V4 ?

5th Gen Rear Sets:

1. Rush2112
  2. Duc2V4
  3. adeyren

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

You can add me to the 5th gen list

Done. Thank you for your interest. We should resume discussions with Tyga in around 6 - 7 weeks with outcomes & info posted here.

We have been in contact with Tyga Racing regarding the manufacture of performance headers for VFR800s. During these discussions a request for rear sets was made by Voided76 and Tyga responded with the following:

"[We] think the idea of rear sets is a good one... In general, making rear sets in the same family as the existing ones we make will be a simple and quick development. If the 6th generation can be made and sell well, we will certainly look for the 5th generation as the next type to make. It will also be a good indicator of interest and likely sales of the exhaust system. If in the meantime you can let me know on any other criteria such as position or adjustability, if our carbon heel guards to your guys tastes etc, it will all help make the project a success."

I would like to gauge the level of interest in these parts. How about a straw poll on who's potentially interested in Tyga rear sets? The current price range on Tyga website for "step kits" (rear sets) is $155 - $251 USD. I believe the 5th gen rear sets, if made, would be more expensive due to the complexities.

6th Gen Rear sets:

1. Voided76
  2. Rush2112
  3. Duc2V4 ?
  4. CornerCarver x 4
  5. MVinOZ
  6. AWP34

5th Gen Rear Sets:

1. Rush2112
  2. Duc2V4
  3. deltaboxii
  4. Checksix
  5. adeyren

You can add me to the 5th gen list

Done. Thank you for your interest. We should resume discussions with Tyga in around 6 - 7 weeks with outcomes & info posted here.

6th Gen Rear sets:

1. Voided76
  2. Rush2112
  3. Duc2V4 ?
  4. CornerCarver x 4
  5. MVinOZ
  6. AWP34

5th Gen Rear Sets:

1. Rush2112
  2. Duc2V4
  3. deltaboxii
  4. Checksix
  5. adeyren
  6. timmythecop

IN

• Member Contributer

Emailed Tyga today:

"Hi Paul,

I hope you, Matt, and everyone at Tyga are doing well, had enjoyable holidays, and had a productive racing "off-season". I'm reaching back out to you on behalf of the 17,000 or so members of the VFR Discussion forum (VFRD) regarding the production of performance exhaust headers and step kits. When we last corresponded in December I had suggested revisiting the request in March due to Tyga's time constraints and existing projects ... how time flies!
Have you & Matt had time to think about performance headers and parts for our VFR800s? If you recall, we do have a member not too far away who had agreed to bring his bike by Tyga to help in this endeavor. The VFR800s are great machines that would only be made better with Tyga Performance parts. We currently have 23 members that have committed to buy the performance headers, 6 members committed to purchase the 6th gen step kits, and if the 5th gen step kits are made available 6 more members are interested in those rear sets.
Please let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time and consideration of our performance part needs"
Hope this is the start of something wonderful...

• Member Contributer

Just received an email from Tyga:

"Thanks for the reminder. We are still really busy with other projects concerning exhausts but we could make the rear sets soon. However, we will need some consensus on the position that most riders want them at. We can build some adjustability in but it will be helpful to get some rough idea.

Many thanks

Paul"

I believe we talked about this earlier but I wanted to check back in since it has been a few months... the folks who are interested in the rear sets, how do you want them positioned? Please respond so we can give Tyga the feedback they are looking for. Thanks...

• Member Contributer

I'm assuming he asking regardless of which gen so when I get a chance I'll get on the 5 Gen and get a feel of what I might be looking for. I originally had assumed stock locations with +/- adjustments, both fore/aft and high/low, just not sure the range.

• Member Contributer

inch up and an inch back is usually the ticket

Yup, 1 inch up and 1 inch back is what I'm looking for.

Yep, that's what the Harris rearsets give me and what I'd want in any replacement.

• Member Contributer

Emailed Tyga with the feedback & Paul's response:

"Hi Paul,

The responses have been from stock position to 1 inch up & 1 inch back. Would this range of adjustability be within the boundaries of what you want to create? I'm probably stating the obvious and I apologize if I'm sounding stupid or saying something you already know but the VFR800s come with shift levers, not shift rods, and our desire is to move to shift rods so we can utilize quick shifters and GP shift patterns if desired. Please let us know your thoughts."

From Tyga:

"Thanks for the feedback. That is in the normal potion in relation to the stock position which our rear sets are normally designed so it should not present any special issues. Sometimes, the stock length shift rod will need replacing but we won’t know until we start the project. Similarly, sometimes the brake master cylinder has clearance issues and we’ll need to look at that in more detail when the time comes. The important thing is the approx position to work on, so thanks for that information.

Best regards

Paul"

Additional separate email response:

"On the shift pattern, if it is not too difficult, then we will try to allow for a race shift. Most of our rear sets allow for it. On the shift rod, it will depend if it needs a different length one. We can offer it is an option too."

• Member Contributer

Didn't get a chance to look at this but looks like what they plan to make should work regardless, so I'm still in. Any indication as to which gen they were referencing? I assume the 6 gen would be first on their list.

• Member Contributer

Didn't get a chance to look at this but looks like what they plan to make should work regardless, so I'm still in. Any indication as to which gen they were referencing? I assume the 6 gen would be first on their list.

6th gen first, then if there is enough interest to support expanding project resources my understanding is 5th gen would be next...

• Member Contributer

Last Tyga contact indicated they are still busy on other projects and previous commitments to take this on yet... no ETA given.

• Member Contributer

Re. one of my other posts " Harris rear sets" only had a few people interested so no go there. They needed a minimum order of 25 before any commitment on their behalf. Would still be in if Tyga decide to.

• Member Contributer

Re. one of my other posts " Harris rear sets" only had a few people interested so no go there. They needed a minimum order of 25 before any commitment on their behalf. Would still be in if Tyga decide to.

Maybe you could to that number if Tyga would do 6G and 5G....

Please put me down for 6th gen headers, as far as the rear set is concerned, I guess I'm a little concerned that it might ruin my leg endurance at 6'3", buts that's probably because I've never ridden with an aftermarket rear set. I'd love to do some touring with the bike and don't want to cramp up after 100 miles like I did on my F4i.

If anyone has any help/ advice/ experience, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm in for the exhaust header, might as well be in for the rear sets as well

Post #1...

...Quote this post and add your name if you are interested..

6th Gen Rear sets:

• Voided76
  • Rush2112
  • Duc2V4 ?
  • CornerCarver x 4
  • MVinOZ
  • Egg on Leggs
  • jim v

5th Gen Rear Sets:

• Rush2112
  • Duc2V4
  • deltaboxii
  • Checksix
  • MBrane

• timmythecop

Forgot to take myself off the list. I found a different option

• Member Contributer

^ OK...that would be a slight upgrade but nothing like a real system and Tyga's exhaust could hang on the wall in the High Museum here in Atlanta...they are things of beauty!

And I say slight upgrade in going to VFR catless header because you trade a stainless steel unit for a mild steel unit that has slightly larger diameter tubes...it does weigh less and flow better but new it is close to $500 now and used they are all crusty that I have found lately.

I think Tyga steps up before the end of the year with good news on the exhaust but I am an eternal optimist.

Good thing I didn't say before the end of which year...

• Member Contributer

6H gen set please

I'll see if Tyga will measure for them when they have the bike in to mock up the headers... headers are the priority right now. Sato makes rear sets for the 6th gen, no one makes performance headers for the VFR800s.

Archived