Instant Rc79 Suspension Tune...

Shinigami

...thy name is Michelin Pilot Road 4.

I'm a little gobsmacked at how nicely the occasionally jouncy RC79 suspension has been completely tamed by these little black donuts.

Changed from OEM D222's at exactly 2600 miles. Rear OEM was done, at the wear bars across the center 2/3rds of the tire. Front was still in very good shape.

Turn in, feel, grip, etc of the PR4's are all superb, just as it was on my '03 with these tires. Notably the new PR4 front is around a pound lighter than the worn OEM front.

I would call the feel relatively plush, yet well connected.

• Member Contributer

Thats Great news Shinigami. I was hoping to get some feedback on the PR4's as they were, and are now to be my next set of treads. Only ever had the PR2's on previous models. Looking forward to the PR4's as I'm very pleased to hear what your impressions are, a little softening of the ride won't go astray!

Cheers.

Grum.

2000 mils in and I am still finding things quite harsh compared to my versys 1000. That is my only complaint and on a smmoth road it's fine but the roads here are shockingly bad. Just backed thr front rebound down some more today. Had already taken some off the rear. Definitet improvement but will look at PR4s when the Dunlops are shot

I'm a little gobsmacked at how nicely the occasionally jouncy RC79 suspension has been completely tamed by these little black donuts.

Any Idea what your preload/rebound settings are at?

Changed from OEM D222's at exactly 2600 miles. Rear OEM was done, at the wear bars across the center 2/3rds of the tire. Front was still in very good shape.

How did you do so :ohmy: ?

Mine are still in perfect shape and have been doing 3000km. So the next few km will be full trottle to tear it down :tongue:

Rider weight in all gear- 230 lbs (104 kg), tire pressure 36/42.

Rear preload -7 turns from max, 30 mm sag

Rear rebound -1 turn from max

Front preload, -8 from max

Front rebound, +1 from MIN

today I have been fiddling with settings, preload is untouched apart from 1 click harder on the back. After 2000miles of being bounced around I spent the morning riding a twisty and in places bumpy moorland road repeatedly ad making adjustments. The front is now 1/2 turn softer and the rear 1 1/4 turns softer from the standard Honda settings. For me (83kg naked) the ride is now 100x better in terms of comfort. Dunno who those standard settings are aimed at but I'm gussing Hondas equal opprortunties policy has opened up the role of testrider to Sumo wrestlers

How did I wear the tires out? My total weight in all gear is around 104 kg and I don't live in Belgium ;)

We have lots of mountains and canyons here with very grippy roads.

Belgium is a beautiful country, but it's rather flat. With lots of deer at sunset too! A little scary when riding there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back! Today we exchanged bikes with a coworker, who has a Kawasaki 10-R, and I have to say, his bike rides much smoother. I always assumed that sportbikes ride harsh, but mine is 10x times worse. Over bumpy roads, my VFR is really bad, whereas his 10-R is soft and compliant.

I'm 245lbs in gear, and would like to set up the bike as a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale of touring to sport. Any recommendations for somebody that as no clue? Is dealer a good place? Shinigami, you gave your settings, but I'm sure you are a lot more aggressive on the bike, what do you think I should set my bike at? Thanks for any help!!

Rider weight in all gear- 230 lbs (104 kg), tire pressure 36/42.

Rear preload -7 turns from max, 30 mm sag

Rear rebound -1 turn from max

Front preload, -8 from max

Front rebound, +1 from MIN

I'm trying your settings, but I have a question -are you counting full turns? For front preload - not sure what max is, as the nut seems to go all the way in. I now have it set at barely showing second line. The front rebound only has 2 1/4 rotations so yours is 1/4 softer than stock? And on the rear, I measured sag by putting it on the center stand and measuring, then sitting on the bike and getting my buddy to measure the same spot. At 3rd line, the sag is 38mm. I figured that's ok?

I would really appreciate any help, I just want to get the bike to run smoother but not loose the great handling. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I currently have the standard PR4's with over 1000 miles on my 8th gen. I am quite happy so far. I didn't notice the huge handling difference that Shinigami did, but they are still better in every way than the OEM Dunlops.

I ran PR3's on my 07 a couple times. In the first 100 miles with the PR4's on this bike, I have zero chicken strips on the back and less on the front than any tire on any bike I've ever had. I could never get that last 1/8" off the back tire with the PR3's. A lot of it is the bike... the 8th gen just handles so much better than the 6th gen, but I would still have a hard time saying the PR3's have better handling than PR4's. Plus the PR4's have longer life (20% according to Michelin). Unless cost is a big issue, I would go with the 4's.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. I'm waiting for the 2015s to be available after a test ride a few weeks ago. Trying to decide if I should put new tires on right away since my previous experience with oem tires is they work, but I'm happier when I choose my own (upgrade). I have pr4s now on my cbr650 and they seem great, but I've never experienced pr3s so was wondering about real world experience.

With that all said--thanks for your feedback. Very helpful !

As an update, I am now at 3000 miles on these tires, and they have about 50% life remaining, which is pretty good for me. I had to replace the OEM's at 2500.

I'm seeing some uneven wear on the front tire, with the tread blocks "wedging" at the leading edge, but it's only noticeable at very slow speed. The grip on these has been exceptional, even in cold temperatures.

An exceptionally fast pace on some very twisty roads and I still have a bit of untouched rubber on the rear, about 1/8".

• Member Contributer

It isn't surprising to me that you found these results. With stock suspension (read: poor suspension) the Michelin tires seem to shine. If everything is setup properly something that isn't a stiff carcass like the Pilots would actually serve you better. The stiff construction of the Pilots also makes them a decent choice for the track where you can drive enough heat into them to soften them up.

Tires are definitely one of the most important factors when it comes to suspension. It is the part that touches the road after all!

BTW, I did finally touch a peg feeler on left hander a couple months ago. It was on one of my favorite sections of road with lots of tight, technical curves. It was just a quick scrape that only lasted a moment, but I was ready for it, so it didn't startle me at all. It was starting to bother me that I had run the rear tire (PR4) all the way to the edge without touching a feeler. Maybe next summer I can start hitting both sides regularly!

• 4 weeks later...

I changed my OEM tires at 4000Kms. I had totally lost confidence in the front one having had a few slides from it, and the rear was toast anyway.

I have a Dunlop Q3 on the front and a roadsmart2 on the rear.

The feel from the front end is outstanding, I have increased the front rebound damping 1/2 turn left the preload stock and on the rear about 1 turn extra preload to get the right sag. Rear rebound is stock so far

I have raised the front forks about 8mm also.

The bike turns in very fast and the handling is really very good, with the front end feeling superbly planted.

The feeling is very taught but thats how I like it.

It may be possible to get it better with an aftermarket rear shock and front end transplant but its pretty good as it is IMHO and changing anything would be very costly.

Its just a shame that we didn't get any compression damping adjustment.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Shinigami, or whomever, what sort of life (in miles) can I expect from the PR4's treads?

I've managed to get crazy mileage out of my BT-02x tires in the past. Like upwards of ten thousand miles.

Well, I can say that I expect to see wear bars sometime in the next 200 miles, so on grippy and aggressive canyon riding I expect I will end up around 4800 miles. That's right down the line of the ~20% increase claimed by Michelin for my personal experience, over dozens of sets of tires on my previous Interceptor and now, this one.

Will be trying the Q3 front/RS2 rear next, because I'm not too thrilled with the way the siped blocks are wearing.

• 3 weeks later...

How are you're sipes wearing? Unusual wear on the sipes says more about your suspension than your tires. I ran pilot power 3s on my zx7r with a shagged rear shock, and the leading edge of the sipe rounded off while the trailing edge peaked. My next set of pilot power 3s were installed with a Penske rear shock, and they wore nice and even.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Turn in, feel, grip, etc of the PR4's are all superb, just as it was on my '03 with these tires. Notably the new PR4 front is around a pound lighter than the worn OEM front.

I would call the feel relatively plush, yet well connected.

My 2c...

After three plugs in my rear tire (thanks Dynaplug for making that fairly neat 'n easy) I decided to ignore the fact that I had tons of tread left front and rear at around 5,000+ miles and changed from the OEM supplied D222's to a set of PR4s.

I wish I had remembered to weigh all the tires before mounting the new ones but I'll take Shinigami's word for the weight reduction.

Surprisingly the PR4s don't come with the little dots that mark the spot that's supposed to align with the valve stem. Perhaps that would have helped save me the trouble of installing yet MORE weights on my rim. The tires feel very gummy to the touch. This makes the steering a bit heavier in parking lot maneuvers. Oddly they feel heavier at speed too. I thought the heavier steering might ease up after some scrub-in but two weeks later I'm not feeling much improvement.

They do seem a bit more compliant so the ride quality is incrementally improved. Steering remained nearly as neutral with the PR4s as with the D222s but I sensed a slight increase in tendency to stand up in bumpy corners. It's possible that some attention to suspension settings might help with that but we'll have to see about that later.

The PR4s didn't give me any rude surprises on a fairly aggressive scrub-in ride. About a centimeter of hero strip does remain.

I haven't used the PR4s in the rain yet. The big test in my opinion is to see how the feel on the mid-curve metal expansion joints on the approach to the upper level of the Queensborough Bridge, along with the smooth worn concrete deck slabs they join. The only tire that didn't slide around noticably on those joints was a BT-020.

My rear PR4 a few weeks ago, it's done about 5,200 at this point. Still fantastic in the wet, or (as we call it here) 'summer'.

I should say I'm light on rubber, on my 6th gen I regularly had over 10,000 out of PR3s front and rear but I think I use the new bike a bit more enthusiastically.

post-13632-0-63929800-1441620516.jpg

Archived