Aftermarket Fairing Kits?

VFRLuvr

Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket fairing kits on Ebay? I'm looking at the straight out of Hong Kong Chinese kits, for instance, Heyman brand. I low-sided my 2006 and knocked a few bits off the left side. It would have been worse without the Radar sliders. Are these kits too good to be true? Are they as low quality as I imagine, or will they be close in quality to the Honda plastics? I only need the left fairing, rear fairing, and pillion cover. Or should I hold out and wait for someone to wreck the right side of their black '06 so I can cannibalize the left side? But for $500 shipped for a cool color scheme seems like a deal.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I'm sure there are more than a few people here that can chime in, but the consensus seems to be fitment issues and overall quality has been mediocre at best.

color may not match your oem.

expect half of the mounts to not line up.

You will need a heat gun, possibly a soldering iron or plastic welder, and many trips to the hardware store

But other than that the plastic itself and paint are very good

I'm not worried about color matching, if I go with the knock-offs I'll do the whole set. I'm looking at a two tone matte green/black that looks pretty neat. I don't mind a little 'coaxing' to get the pieces to fit, but I don't want to find out I have to melt the pieces into shape and then find out they rip themselves off the stand-offs or something...

• Member Contributer

They are NOT OEM quality to be sure. No you won't have to "melt the pieces into shape", but you will have to re-work your mounting points and be happy when they line up from a "good enough" perspective. As stated though, the paint and thickness of the plastics are good, more flexible than OEM. The trailing piece on the bottom left-hand-side, behind the driver peg gets shipped bent so a little tweaking may be required there.

My 2 cents worth is grab the replacement pieces you need new or used OEM, preferably for the year and colour matched for what you have. If a custom paint job is what you are after though, you're probably better off with the Chinese aftermarket.

• Member Contributer

Let us know how you got on if you decide to go for a set.

But I have yet to hear someone being impressed by what they got for their money...

The upper cowl is the one I had the most issues with. You cant use the oem screws for the headlights and the mounts are very weak and snap off. I had to tack them back on and melt some extra abs plastic around it to make it stronger. Also the right side of the upper cowl did not line up with the windshield by about an inch. The side fairings and rear cowl were pretty good. The tank cover even with help from a heat gun cracked down the center. I just melted the crack back together and covered with a vinyl tank protector.

Comparing mounts

post-5100-0-11833200-1408606972.jpg

Tab came broken off.

post-5100-0-14248400-1408607000.jpg

Weak headlight mounts

post-5100-0-11044900-1408607038.jpg

Ugly fix

post-5100-0-17961500-1408607075.jpg

not exactly related, but i had an aftermarket fairing on my '06 CBR600RR that i owned for a year before selling it and switching to my '00 VFR

they looked super cool (Repsol livery) but were pain in the ass to take off and put back on, which on a bike like CBR600RR you need to do that quite often, to change oil, to fill rad, to change a fuse, change a bulb, ....etc.

most of the time had to battle two pieces to barely line up the tabs, use zip-ties, drill new holes, and so on.

one very important note: OEM fairing is strong but flexible to a point, which makes it really easy to take off and put on, and scratch only if bike is dropped ant slow speed. while aftermarket ones are mostly made from a hard brittle plastic which very easily propagates hair line cracks when stressed, so i had alot of hairline cracks around mounting points. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

This was after the first time I installed it. I had an 02 with Italian red but the red Plastic I received I believe was more like the red on the 2005 VFR which has a more orange tint to it. It was a lot of work and I did have to be careful taking it apart for maintenance. I have since plasti dipped my stock oem plastic black.

when putting the side fairings on it helps to screw in the front before the back otherwise there would be a gap between the fairing and upper cowl.

post-5100-0-81543200-1409615876.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's the thing with these copies... They'd be great for race plastics.... but for something you don't plan on hucking down the road on it's side, I'd pay for OEM, or at least troll e-bay for some lightly used stuff.

I heard Blis star and Auct marts make decent fitting sets. On my tl forum there are several members that had a good experience with auctmarts. I did email a member here that bought a set from blis star, but I am a bit suspicious that he may be an employee of blis star posing as a common joe to provide some free word of mouth advertising.

• Member Contributer

A Dutch VFR owner bought a set from China

Let the pictures do the talking.....

post-8974-0-95383200-1411023132.jpg

post-8974-0-13396800-1411023172.jpg

post-8974-0-45263600-1411023209.jpg

The mounting point (glued on) simply snapped off. This solution doesnot look too bad

post-8974-0-77181600-1411023247.jpg

gallery_5100_7335_112739.jpg

Is this the new plastic ?

yes it is. the tab that holds the rear of the taillight eventually snapped, that's why its hanging. I ended up putting the oem rear back on shortly after, and then eventually fixed my rashed up fairings and put them back on.

• Member Contributer

Dutchy which supplier ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heyman-Aftermarket-ABS-Fairing-02-12-VFR800-VFR-800-2002-2012-Red-White-H82H32-/251564860036?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a926f2284&vxp=mtr

The tankcover would clearly show near the petrol cap, but he "solved" that by fitting a Givi Tankbag ring.

For the money he is "ok-ish" with the quality.

• 2 weeks later...

KLR -

That tracked VFR makes my sack tingle a lil bit. ^_^

FOR THE MONEY:

You should be going to www.aliexpress.com

You can talk to manufacturers reps directly. get custom stuff made, get custom paints done, to spec, more or less.

I bought a bliss star fairing about 2 years ago. it sucked in short. the turn signals never went in, because they never fit. I had to duct tape, then glue them into the fairing. no really.

I bought my SECOND fairing set about 6 mo's ago. from a company only known as WYMT

BECAUSE:

They sent me an email of their raw product. and it looked outstanding. no stupid glued on mount points, no flakey looking edges on anything. so I pulled the trigger, and showed them what I wanted paint wise. and they delivered. it's not perfect. but I get a lot of stares. I get a lot of smiling ladies, I get a lot of little kids wide eyed. Just the other day, a guy sat his kid on my bike and took a picture. like 2 mins after I hopped off.

I probably should've flame-sprayed this fuckin guy, but the kid was hysterically happy, so I just stood there smirking. it was cute as hell.

Here's some pics of the bodywork, and some pics of what they sent me.

fairingpics_zpsfd078bba.jpgfairingpics3_zps9d712e2a.jpg

underbody_zps28864a63.jpg

Another site;

http://www.motofairingset.com/

seems to have most kits from Aliexpress on there, and seems like it might be legit, but I have no experience with it.

original.jpg

That's my finished fairing set.

Look inside the headlight holes of the front fairing. THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE IMAGE. Mounts formed in precision, along with the part. not glued in after the fact.

It WILL NOT FIT LIKE YOU WANT IT TO otherwise.

That being said, I had to use some creativity in getting my headlights properly installed into the front fairing. cut a slot into 2 of the plastic mounts, and used a long machine screw with a windshield rubber mount, so I could get it fixated without headache for teardown and put together purposes. the rest was truely, honestly a no brainer.

OH YEAH

Another thing that picture illustrates, is that they did my tank skin wrong!

see the logo is off, as far as placement!

and I called them on that , in an email, and they FIXED IT!

original.jpg

ALSO unlike stupid compression mold fairings, the OEM grab handle covers, go right in, without a fuss.

and WYMT used a honda paint code. so I ordered 2003 silver grab handle covers, and they match! 15 bucks and the tail matches up.

hard to beat that.

So! to summarize unlike ebay. I got a injection mold kit, custom painted, for 450 delivered.

• Member Contributer

Hey Voided, thanks for sharing that. For my 5th gen rebuild I think I am going to buy from your source.

And post some pic's of the said product on your bike please .

Archived