Need Help Deciding On A Vfr

Guest Live2Ride

Guest Live2Ride

New guy here,searched for this and didn't find anything current so thought I would ask... I am looking to go from my current Ducati Monster to a VFR. Looked at the new 2014 VFR800, love it, want it. But... I can get a new '12 VFR1200 for 2 grand less. ($10099 from a local dealer vs $12,300 for a 14 DLX model)

I am in my 40s,riding for 25 yrs, and want a sport tourer, with the emphasis on sport. If you had the choice would you still get a 1200 or the new model?

• Member Contributer

If the extra heft and size doesn't bother you go for the 1200. If you want lighter go for the 2014 or find a 6th gen. Pretty much the same engine, but no traction control, heated grips yadda yadda.

Be aware that the 1200 is a much heavier bike than your Ducati Monster. It still handles quite well, according to many owners, but the higher mass and bigger proportions eventually rears it's head at the limits. If you want something that has handling characteristics closer to your Monster, you will have to get the new bike.......or just get a 5th or 6th gen....which with a few tweaks and mods might get you very close to what the 8th gen can give you, without the sticker shock.....

The Sixth Generation (2002-2009) VFR800 won sportbike of the year for years on end. The bike was so popular, even when Honda brought it out again, the re-introduced VFR800 for 2014 still has basically the same engine and chassis. The question is whether the extra gismos are worth the extra money for you, as it is easy to find an affordable, well-maintained and cheap Sixth Generation with low kilometres (at least where I live). As for the 1200, from what I have read, it comes down to how nimble you want the bike to be. A bike with 50% bigger engine, is not going to be as nimble.

• Member Contributer

Not sure how gas mileage is on the 2014 or how much you expect to get, but many 1200 owners have been complaining about the small gas tank, especially when touring. My 5 Gen and 6 Gen bike can get 200-250 and 190-200 respectively, out of one tank.

Not sure how gas mileage is on the 2014 or how much you expect to get, but many 1200 owners have been complaining about the small gas tank, especially when touring. My 5 Gen and 6 Gen bike can get 200-250 and 190-200 respectively, out of one tank.

IIRC, didn't Honda increase the gas tank capacity a little bit after the 1st year. Not sure if it was enough if they did, but it must get a few more significant miles from the bike than the first iteration....

• Member Contributer

Live 2, that's a tough choice for sure. I'm definitely a fan of the 800 size. It's ideal for just about everything without committing in any specific direction. A few points in favour of the 800 for your consideration. I have to say the new '14 800 is really, really nice looking. :-) Larger tank and range as shared by Duc above. Not sure about stateside, but the insurance rates for the 800 are excellent in comparison to pretty much any other sports bike out there. It's such a good size I'm really happy they reintroduced it. If I was looking to buy another bike, new, the 14 800 would be it. (Love my 6th gen)

Dave.

• Member Contributer

Welcome, Live!

I'd go with the 800, unless you're doing 2up.

You have lots of dealers within driving distance of you. Call around, find one who will deal with you on the new bike. They are priced a little high, but my dealer said they are overpriced, and he would work a deal if I wanted one. I don't think they are "flying" out the door right now, so find a dealer who is willing to drop the stupid "TaxTagLicenseDealerPrepandDocumentationFee" crap. :warranty: Pay a $50-100 Doc fee, offer $1000 under msrp and negotiate. Take some time on the phone to find a salesman with straight answers. :pinocchio: First time they give you a bs answer, walk. Some dealer will bite. :fing02: Good luck! (And keep us posted!)

Ded

The Sixth Generation (2002-2009) VFR800 won sportbike of the year for years on end. The bike was so popular, even when Honda brought it out again, the re-introduced VFR800 for 2014 still has basically the same engine and chassis. The question is whether the extra gismos are worth the extra money for you, as it is easy to find an affordable, well-maintained and cheap Sixth Generation with low kilometres (at least where I live). As for the 1200, from what I have read, it comes down to how nimble you want the bike to be. A bike with 50% bigger engine, is not going to be as nimble.

the 1200 engine is physically smaller than the 800's...and it's a lot more powerful

the 1200 engine is physically smaller than the 800's...and it's a lot more powerful

must be mostly the "Unicam" SOHC design of the 1200 engine that shrunk it down smaller than expected for that displacement....

• Member Contributer

Take the 1200 out for a spin if you can. It does not feel like a big bike. I have mine through the confines of downtown Toronto with no issues. When we tour it has gobs of endless power.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

I own a 98 VFR, purchased new, and just recently bought a 2013 VFR1200. It comes down to questions of agility, your own size, and what kind of performance envelope you're looking for- (though the price you're mentioning, for me the 1200 would be a no-brainer. The VFR800 is more compact, and certainly nimbler and easier to handle due to it's weight and size- it's a good fit for my 5'8" girlfriend, for example. I'm 6'2", and the 1200 seems a better scale for my size- and especially with the accessory deflector screen added on, has better overall weather protection, though nothing like my ST1300.

Performance envelope depends on what you value the most- if a lot of tight curvy roads are your forte and preference, the 800 may be best- but the 1200 is surprisingly agile for it's weight, and if you crack the throttle open in 3rd or 4th substantially it leaps forward in a way that the 800 can only imagine in it's dreams. The 800 has a wide power band compared to sport 600's, but the 1200 has real grunt and mojo down low that just keeps building up light a freight train turning into a grand prix engine. The sound is different and intoxicating, and the suspension has more potential, I think, due to the inverted fork- from what I read, put an Ohlins shock on the rear and rework the front a bit,. and you've got something ahead of what the 800 can inherently do. Oh, and did I mention the brakes are fabulous on the 1200?

In a sense, the 1200 is like a high power GT car, as opposed to a somewhat smaller, lighter two seater. Like an NSX versus an S2000, for example (have driven both, own an NSX). (though the NSX is more like the VFR800 compared with say, an Audi R8).

I Googled quickly out of curiosity on the weight difference and it is not as bad as I thought. Each source is different, but most seem to say the 1200 is about 15-20kb (33-44lbs) heavier. There are, however, differing opinions on how it feels, as some articles state the 1200 feels a lot heavier. I haven't ridden one. I ride two-up a lot on my 800 - even an 11,000 km trip (6800 miles) - and it is passenger friendly, but I did buy a tail bag that has a backrest on it. Both are beautiful bikes. I am curious to know what you end up buying. I know this is a VFR site, but I gotta admit, the Ninja 1000 would be tempting for me if I was buying new.

I just traded in a 07 vfr800 for a 2012 vfr1200 and the giggle factor from that engine is something the 800 can never match, handling wise i need to tweak the suspension the front is very springy, pogo-like feel at times but it is a brand new bike, only 200miles on it since saturday. I am extremely happy.

i ride my VFR in NYC....it's nimble enough for that....but i also ride the Valkyrie in the City ...that's a handful

• Member Contributer

The 800 is the best all around sport tourer. Handles like a 600cc bike, gets great gas range, looks awesome, and is ready to go out of the box. Not the most powerful bike but gets up and goes. The 6th generation is better looking to me than the 8th, but I haven't seen one in person.

The 1200 has an engine that'll always make you happy. Handles like a big 1200cc tho, not the best gas range if coming from the 800, looks great in person but not really photogenic. And plan on spending a few hundred $$ to get rid of the 1st and 2nd gear power dip with either an unleashed or power commander and z-bomb. But I do like the shaft drive over the chain.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong...

Happy riding

Wow, great feedback, thanks. I wish I could ride both to decide, but finding demos might me tough. So that price on the 1200 seems like a deal at $10k? I heard the improvements over the '10 are worth the extra spend,is that true?

I also found a 08 with 3300 miles for $5600. With panniers.

I have some thinking to do.

• Member Contributer

Have you thought about a Multistrada? You get a 1200 engine in a bike with all day comfort ergos. I don't know if the chassis is quite as composed as the VFR but they are nice bikes.

• Member Contributer

Have you thought about a Multistrada? You get a 1200 engine in a bike with all day comfort ergos. I don't know if the chassis is quite as composed as the VFR but they are nice bikes.

I'd say the 1200 has all day comfort egos. Anything more and it'd be a couch.

I own a 98 VFR, purchased new, and just recently bought a 2013 VFR1200. It comes down to questions of agility, your own size, and what kind of performance envelope you're looking for- (though the price you're mentioning, for me the 1200 would be a no-brainer. The VFR800 is more compact, and certainly nimbler and easier to handle due to it's weight and size- it's a good fit for my 5'8" girlfriend, for example. I'm 6'2", and the 1200 seems a better scale for my size- and especially with the accessory deflector screen added on, has better overall weather protection, though nothing like my ST1300.

Performance envelope depends on what you value the most- if a lot of tight curvy roads are your forte and preference, the 800 may be best- but the 1200 is surprisingly agile for it's weight, and if you crack the throttle open in 3rd or 4th substantially it leaps forward in a way that the 800 can only imagine in it's dreams. The 800 has a wide power band compared to sport 600's, but the 1200 has real grunt and mojo down low that just keeps building up light a freight train turning into a grand prix engine. The sound is different and intoxicating, and the suspension has more potential, I think, due to the inverted fork- from what I read, put an Ohlins shock on the rear and rework the front a bit,. and you've got something ahead of what the 800 can inherently do. Oh, and did I mention the brakes are fabulous on the 1200?

In a sense, the 1200 is like a high power GT car, as opposed to a somewhat smaller, lighter two seater. Like an NSX versus an S2000, for example (have driven both, own an NSX). (though the NSX is more like the VFR800 compared with say, an Audi R8).

I pretty much agree with that. I have a 2001 VFR800Fi1 and a 2013 VFR1200F. They're both excellent bikes, the 1200 is actually much more nimble and capable in the twisties than many would have you believe and carries its weight exceptionally well. The 1200 motor is awesome and the brakes are another level altogether compared to the 2014 800.

My thoughts on the new 800 compared to both of my bikes are explained here in post #30 http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77915-2014-vfr800f-test-ride/page-3

My decision would be 1200.

HTH.

Curious if you considered the 1200 Multistrada.

I'd get the 1200 VF.

The Multi is a bit above my price point, but they are great bikes. I demo'd a Hyperstrada last week. Total hooligan bike, but my 796 is more to my liking.

I need to ride a VFR1200.

Archived