Need Help Deciding On A Vfr

Guest Live2Ride

I own a 98 VFR, purchased new, and just recently bought a 2013 VFR1200. It comes down to questions of agility, your own size, and what kind of performance envelope you're looking for- (though the price you're mentioning, for me the 1200 would be a no-brainer. The VFR800 is more compact, and certainly nimbler and easier to handle due to it's weight and size- it's a good fit for my 5'8" girlfriend, for example. I'm 6'2", and the 1200 seems a better scale for my size- and especially with the accessory deflector screen added on, has better overall weather protection, though nothing like my ST1300.

Performance envelope depends on what you value the most- if a lot of tight curvy roads are your forte and preference, the 800 may be best- but the 1200 is surprisingly agile for it's weight, and if you crack the throttle open in 3rd or 4th substantially it leaps forward in a way that the 800 can only imagine in it's dreams. The 800 has a wide power band compared to sport 600's, but the 1200 has real grunt and mojo down low that just keeps building up light a freight train turning into a grand prix engine. The sound is different and intoxicating, and the suspension has more potential, I think, due to the inverted fork- from what I read, put an Ohlins shock on the rear and rework the front a bit,. and you've got something ahead of what the 800 can inherently do. Oh, and did I mention the brakes are fabulous on the 1200?

In a sense, the 1200 is like a high power GT car, as opposed to a somewhat smaller, lighter two seater. Like an NSX versus an S2000, for example (have driven both, own an NSX). (though the NSX is more like the VFR800 compared with say, an Audi R8).

I pretty much agree with that. I have a 2001 VFR800Fi1 and a 2013 VFR1200F. They're both excellent bikes, the 1200 is actually much more nimble and capable in the twisties than many would have you believe and carries its weight exceptionally well. The 1200 motor is awesome and the brakes are another level altogether compared to the 2014 800.

My thoughts on the new 800 compared to both of my bikes are explained here in post #30 http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77915-2014-vfr800f-test-ride/page-3

My decision would be 1200.

HTH.

+1 Thanks for the link sharing your other post- haven't ridden the new 800, but you certainly capture the essence of the older 800 versus 1200. Shame about that, maybe it's the current emissions controls the newest 800 needs to be legal.

1200. No brainer. All of the "it's too heavy" BS is tossed around by people who have never ridden the 1200. I've got 30K on mine and can't imagine ever getting rid of it. And it absolutely hauls ass.

• Member Contributer

1200. No brainer. All of the "it's too heavy" BS is tossed around by people who have never ridden the 1200. I've got 30K on mine and can't imagine ever getting rid of it. And it absolutely hauls ass.

Have to agree I don't find the 1200 heavy. Had a BMW F800 ST which is about 160 pounds lighter and it actually felt heavier. Seemed to carry the weight much higher up than the 1200. The other thing I have found is on long open windy stretches I don't mind a little more heft as the bike feels more planted. Bought the bike for sporty touring and that's what it does just great.

• Member Contributer

Monster to 1200 is apples-oranges. I know, my wife's M796 feels like a mini bike in comparison. It's a total hoot to ride around, and I sometimes laugh while riding it because it almost feels illegal. But two completely different bikes for completely different riding scenarios.

I love my 1200 DCT. I wanted bigger, more comfortable, more powerful, different, and that's what it is to me. It is no slouch in corners, though the suspension is lacking...but can be affordably improved. Has monster brakes and huge torque, and I'm getting very used to not shifting...and liking it!

Any of the VFR Gen's are going to be a great bike choice...they're VFR's after all. To me, the new VFR800 just doesn't have enough innovation to make me want it. It would be a better all around bike than the M796 though, that I can say for certain. Just for comparison sake, my Gen4 VFR feels like a track bike when I ride it after the 1200, except with less torque and wooden brakes. Maybe the new Gen8 would feel the same...dunno.

BTW, took a long ride with friends with an FJR and C14. We swapped bikes occasionally. We all agreed the 1200 was faster and more nimble with way better brakes. This was the group of bikes I considered when buying the 1200, so I am pleased with my choice.

• Member Contributer

You need to ride both if you are so uncertain.

It would be worth a long distance trip to a dealer that can supply tests on both so you end up with the bike you want.

Both bikes have their plus and minus points but only you will know which plus and which minus ones are important to you.

JMHO.

Archived