Eighth Gen Modathon (Round One)

house

• Member Contributer

Could the sound be different because of the single exhaust can as well?

I don't think so... my 5th gen has a single exhaust can and it sounds pretty serious. Besides, I think with the 4-2-1 header configuration on all of them the cadence and rhythm of the exhaust, especially at idle, would only be altered by the 8th gen different primary merge configuration.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, isn't the cam timing on the non vtec valves meant to be milder to increase low end torque on the 8th gen, whereas on the 6th it was the same as the vtec valves which would result in a smoother idle which it appears to be on the 8th gen.

The 5th gen always sounded "lumpy" at idle to me, very sexy.

My 8th gen sounds like a V twin at idle, like say a suzy sv650.

I don't think there is any difference in the two cam lobes on the same cam on the 6th/8th gen. But the 8th gen is said to have milder intake cam timing than the 6th gen's intake cams. Also the 8th gen has milder exhaust ports as well. All changes point to a more efficient engine at lower revs, at the expense of top end power.

Lets cut to the chase here and call a spade a spade. The 2014 vfr800 sounds like shite compared to the earlier non vtec models, even with a muffler on it.! I'm a little disappointed with mine in this regard even after fitting an Arrow Pro-Racing Muffler. Its's OK when higher in the rev range { ie running on four valves } but at idle and above it sounds pretty Lame ! It's a shame, because I remember my old VFR750 sounding pretty punk all the way through rev range. Come on Honda, Stop building bland and Stir the Soul a bit ! A great Bike , But could have been much better with a bit more Passion thrown in ! :491:

I think mine sounds quite good with the Delkevic without the baffle. It is deep and lumpy sounding at idle and screams pretty nicely before and after VTEC. You can get an idea of the sound from my first video on the new VFR here... http://youtu.be/UQDyJJ6Y-Lk?list=UUhA1MddvXR7L8aHgYrmQt7Q.

My delkevic sounds great on the 8th gen, with or without the baffle. In fact, that sound is so nice.

I agree, and for the price they are amazing value

• Member Contributer

I have just completed 600 miles on my new VFR8OO.The cold start idle is around 2400rpm.Whe fully warm the engine idles at1550 rpm.This seems a little high and may need sorting at first service.Is this normal ?All info greatfully accepted.!

It could be you tach & not the engine. My 5th gen tach reads high by approx 200rpm, compared with a PC3 or RB or Dyno centre readings.

• Member Contributer

Some interesting info for you. Found this whilst looking for ignition timing info for the VFR800.

98-09 VFR800Fi + Vtec = 15° BTDC (idle) ~ 36° BTDC (5,000min-1)

8th Gen 2014+ = 10.3° BTDC (idle) ~ 26.1° BTDC (5,000min-2)

The cam specs are not much different across all three models, so would be interesting to see back to back dyno comparisons on 8th gen, then with 6th gen ECU !!!! That retarded ignition will hurt power.

The 8th gen has a 11.8:1 static compression ratio and it probably has less cam overlap as well, resulting in a much higher dynamic compression ratio. It doesn't need as much ignition timing to make the same power and it probably might need to have the ignition timing pulled back a tad to run safely on 87.

Also, doesn't less timing before top dead center mean it is actually more advanced??

• 1 month later...

House: I just got a slightly used 2014 Deluxe in Red, the picture from Honda shows a matching plastic cover for the passenger seat, and I see you have one in white for yours. Did it come with the bike? or accessory? Not listed on web site.

• Member Contributer

House: I just got a slightly used 2014 Deluxe in Red, the picture from Honda shows a matching plastic cover for the passenger seat, and I see you have one in white for yours. Did it come with the bike? or accessory? Not listed on web site.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/53a85977f870020ba8ccf6bd/seat

0_0.png

COWL ASSY., SINGLE SEAT *NHB53P* (PEAR [+]
77283-MJM-D00ZA
$109.84
COWL ASSY., SINGLE SEAT *R334* (VICTORY RE
77283-MJM-D00ZC
$109.84

White and red !!

Thanks, strange they don't list it as an accessory when ordering! Waiting for BLS to make peg lowering blocks, then I will be set.

Have since learned that it is included for the Deluxe from Honda, but not installed.

It's been raining here most of last week, only been out 3 times, but I absolutely love the quick shifter, very smooth. At 70 I am not riding it that hard, not trying to shave mili-seconds off my times, it just makes shifting quicker and smoother.

• Member Contributer

I recognize that it could possibly interfere with side bags and that keeping weight as low as possible is a good thing, but man, does this bike deserve a high-mount or even an under-seat exhaust system.

It's a crime to hide that gorgeous new rear wheel.

It sure looks like you could nestle a can up high inside of the passenger peg hanger.
It might have to be a smaller circumference and longer, but I see the Delkevic system and it sure looks like something could be worked out with that can, given how short it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine came with the cowl to replace the rear seat. Not sure if the non-delux model has this included or not.

Archived