Eighth Gen Modathon (Round One)

house

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor-dlx/accessories.aspx

Here's all the info on the stuff I got. I probably paid about 10% less than these prices at my dealer.

Oh, and I don't know how they can call that hugger "carbon look". It's nothing but plain black plastic...not even remotely carbon looking!

About the hugger, I pointed this out in my review. When I saw my hugger I was about to skewer Honda over their error but then I had a "heywaitaminnit" moment and looked again at the actual description on Honda's web site. The web site states: "carbon look", not "carbon-fiber look"!!!

That's pretty damn eff'd up.

Looks like char-coal? :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just completed 600 miles on my new VFR8OO.The cold start idle is around 2400rpm.Whe fully warm the engine idles at1550 rpm.This seems a little high and may need sorting at first service.Is this normal ?All info greatfully accepted.!

• 3 weeks later...

I may when they become available. Last time I checked, they were still in development and no official harness for the 2014 bikes yet. Do you know if that has changed?

Power commander and Dimsport and bazzaz etc are all trying to get their hands on a 2014 to confirm fitments, but we are all pretty certain all hardware will go unchanged. The fuel mapping will need sorting of course, but both the base rapid bike evo (fuel only) and more advanced racing (fuel and ignition) are self mapping in real time and will make a very accurate fuel map with in 200 kilometers.

You could do us all a huge favor and try to test fit it to your bike. Maybe you can work something out with cycle pro Dimsport in Orlando and do I test fit with possibility of a refund if by chance the connectors don't match.

• Member Contributer

I think the 8th gen ECU is located differently then the 6th gen... I believe I saw that in an earlier 8th gen thread.

...might be some fitment issues with the RapidBike wiring harness... I'm sure the smart folks here or at DimSport can figure a way around it ;)

• Member Contributer

Looking at the photos of the 8th gen the front bank of cylinders exhaust header primaries merge and the rear primaries merge... this is a departure from the 5th and 6th gen configuration. I haven't read anything about a return to the 360* crank. How does the exhaust note sound compared to a 6th gen? Is there a dyno chart for peak hp & torque comparisons with the 6th gen? Can a 8th gen owner measure the lengths of the header primaries and post up or PM me the results?

Thanks!

Is there a dyno chart for peak hp & torque comparisons with the 6th gen?

Below is one, taken from the magazine Motorrad News.

The text says:

How unfair. Against the force of the Z1000 four, there is no resistance, the VFR needs high revs to take off.

Heaps and bounds above: the enormous power of the Kawasaki doesn't astound, unlike the breathlessness of the model upgraded VFR.

Well, that comparison review also "forgot" to mention the Z1000 has no center stand, not even available as an option, and the BMW F800 is heavier than claimed in the article, plus it has a small tank pushing down its wet weight. Our magazines just love BMW...

The VFR was measured to a vmax of 239 km/h and 400m standing start (almost a quarter mile) at 12,4s.

vfr800_dyno.jpg

• Member Contributer

I thought it was determined that the 8th gen uses the exact same hearders as the 6th?

Same discharge location and engine mounting points, it appears to have different tubing merges

I have thought for a while that the 8th gen sounds "different" especially at idle, like the firing order is different to the 6th gen, but maybe thats just me.

• Member Contributer

I have thought for a while that the 8th gen sounds "different" especially at idle, like the firing order is different to the 6th gen, but maybe thats just me.

Probably the primary tubing exhaust merge configuration creating the different sound you're hearing... that's why I asked if it sounded different. Also wanted to see if it altered the power profile of the engine... much easier & cheaper to make an exhaust with that configuration...

Looking at the dyno chart there is still a big dip but now at what looks to be at 6500 rpms this time around.

What I have heard is its the same engine, compression raised from 11.6:1 to 11.8:1, less intake cam duration and or less over lap, smaller exhaust ports and probably a retuned intake and exhaust for more low end and less topend.

I agree.... even with aftermarket cans on both, my 6th gen sounds more serious than the 8th gen (even with the baffle out of the Akrapovic, all that did was make it sound louder.) Never occurred to me that the headers might be different!

Archived