Eighth Gen Modathon (Round One)

house

• Member Contributer

Nice. My first tank was only 39 but more than half of that was in NYC traffic. That is better than my 4th Gen.

PS I also confirmed the low fuel warning is pretty close to the manual's claim of 1 gallon.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AK-20's..... check

Ohlins........check

Akrapovic..check

And it starts raining the second I get done. Man, talk about timing.

The bike is all ready to roll, so I guess the first real ride will be tomorrow morning. I did ride about 5 miles from Traxxion to the house and loved the feel so far, but I wasn't really able to open it up. Stay tuned for the full review. Here are some pics until then

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

The Ohlins preload adjuster fit right where the factory knob was, but the cord is a hair short, so you can see it looking from the front of the bike (the stock cord was in a channel behind the passenger peg.)

IMG_0484.JPG

Shock with the 1100# spring. I got lucky as the bigger spring only has a little clearance from the swingarm. Marvin wasn't worried about it, but he doubts we could have fit the largest springs they use. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow

IMG_0485.JPG

And of course a video of the pipe.... http://youtu.be/lBJHwR552vg

IMG_0487.JPG

Revzilla is taking pre-orders for the PCV for the 2014 VFR now. Looks like it may actually ship soon! Called to see if a date is set and they said they should have them around the 13th of next month

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynojet-power-commander-v-honda-vfr800-2014

• Member Contributer

Will jump on the rapid bike group buy and get something better than a PCV

+1... love to see how the RapidBike performs on the 8th gen!

I don't see a module for the 8th gen on their website.... do they have one coming out?

• Member Contributer

I don't see a module for the 8th gen on their website.... do they have one coming out?

Yup... they are creating plug-n-play wiring harnesses for us and are working on the ignition and fueling maps as soon as they return from vacation. Do you know if your ECU plugs are the same as the 6th gen?

Details:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78467-official-rapid-bike-race-group-buy/

• 2 weeks later...

House, mind posting some pixs or writeup of how you routed the power leads to the radar detector and GPS? I thought that the VFR will be a lot safer for me than my prior bike, Gixxer 1000, since it "only" has <100HP, but ugh... I need a radar detector.

It finally showed up today... Looking forward to Tuesday! I didn't realize you can adjust the length, which may solve the question of fitment. Spoke with Mike at Traxxion and he said they can determine if the weight/spring will work with the bike. Fingers crossed!

attachicon.gifOhlins.JPG

what shock is this actually (model number)? did you end up measuring the oem shock before the swap? Theres a couple of us trying to work out if the ohlins from our 5th gens will fit (I have remote preload and compression Ohlins on my frankenviffer).

On 8/30/2014 at 9:12 PM, polbit said:

House, mind posting some pixs or writeup of how you routed the power leads to the radar detector and GPS? I thought that the VFR will be a lot safer for me than my prior bike, Gixxer 1000, since it "only" has <100HP, but ugh... I need a radar detector.

I have the electronic fuse block under the seat tapped to the battery (so it cuts off with the bike.) I ran a bunch of leads up to the front so I don't have to run future wires if needed. The Rowe fuse block lets you disable unused leads. I just followed the harness down the frame and fished the wires next to the factory harness up to the front of the frame (see the pics.) Let me know if you need more description.

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

On 9/3/2014 at 7:37 PM, AB-Oz said:
On 8/8/2014 at 7:30 PM, house said:

It finally showed up today... Looking forward to Tuesday! I didn't realize you can adjust the length, which may solve the question of fitment. Spoke with Mike at Traxxion and he said they can determine if the weight/spring will work with the bike. Fingers crossed!

attachicon.gifOhlins.JPG

what shock is this actually (model number)? did you end up measuring the oem shock before the swap? Theres a couple of us trying to work out if the ohlins from our 5th gens will fit (I have remote preload and compression Ohlins on my frankenviffer).

It's a Ohlins 46DRS (HO 203.) The stock shock is 315.5mm according to Traxxion and the Ohlins is 317.5mm. Details in this post

I'm curious, can you see the tach with the location of that detector?

Check out the first entry in this thread about 3/4 down the page. Pics of the view of the tach are posted.

Just in case anyone's interested:

if you want to buy ASV levers for this bike, you can just order the same ones as for the 6th gen. Well, I say that, the brake lever fits, clutch lever's on back order until the 19th...

Also, does anyone know if the mudguard is the exact same one as on the Fireblade? Quite fancy chavving it up with a carbon fibre one.

Your clutch lever should fit fine. My Pazzo's are 6th gen and fit with no issues

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78605-eighth-gen-modathon-round-one/?p=957790

I have no idea on the huggers, I bought the stock honda hugger since they changed the swingarm this year

Your clutch lever should fit fine. My Pazzo's are 6th gen and fit with no issues

Here's hoping. Should be with me in a week or so.

And I think we lost something in translation there. When I said mudguard, I didn't mean hugger, I meant what you fella's across the pond would call a front fender, I believe.

So, yeah, anyone know if the front fender is the same as the one on the fireblade? Might have to check with my dealer, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a shipment in...and went right to work installing the Honda bar risers, rear hugger, and quick shifter. Also just ordered a mixed set of Pazzos (standard clutch, shorty brake). Can't wait to go for a ride tomorrow and try out that shifter. Just sitting in the garage with the key on, I can hear the relay under the seat click as I put upshift pressure on the shifter, before it actually shifts. I don't expect to notice much difference with the risers, but every little bit helps when you're looking for a little more comfort.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor-dlx/accessories.aspx

Here's all the info on the stuff I got. I probably paid about 10% less than these prices at my dealer.

Oh, and I don't know how they can call that hugger "carbon look". It's nothing but plain black plastic...not even remotely carbon looking!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the write up and especially the dis-assembly notes! I do my own maintenance and was dreading figuring out the fairings!

Since it's the same engine it would stand to reason that the oil filter and drain plug are in the same spot. Haven't got the manual yet. Anybody???

Also, I didn't notice the rubber bits for the tank. I'm hoping that doesn't mean my seat is already at the high setting. :wacko: I'll find out later when I dig into it.

The rubber biits you are referring to are actually clear vinyl protection tape applied to the bottom of the tank sides.

These prevent the seat from damaging the paint in the high position.

The oil filter and the drain plug are where you would expect them to be, however getting to the filter requires a few extra steps. For example, you have to undo the lower radiator bracket. It's pretty self evident once you get in there.

• Member Contributer

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor-dlx/accessories.aspx

Here's all the info on the stuff I got. I probably paid about 10% less than these prices at my dealer.

Oh, and I don't know how they can call that hugger "carbon look". It's nothing but plain black plastic...not even remotely carbon looking!

About the hugger, I pointed this out in my review. When I saw my hugger I was about to skewer Honda over their error but then I had a "heywaitaminnit" moment and looked again at the actual description on Honda's web site. The web site states: "carbon look", not "carbon-fiber look"!!!

That's pretty damn eff'd up.

Archived