Eighth Gen Modathon (Round One)

house

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Oh well, when you are on the bleeding edge of modifications they can't all be winners. :wink:

Don't ask me how I know.

I decided I might be able to get the tag mount looking a little better and a little higher, so I grabbed the Dremel and went to work. It didn't take too long to take the top tab off...

IMG_3354.JPG

I turned out pretty good and mount is more secure as I used two reflectors to secure it as opposed to one bolt.

IMG_3355.JPG

You can see the original mount earlier in this post

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

Here is a comparison of the CW mount on the 6th gen vs. the modified VFR 1200 CW kit on the 8th gen

If anyone wants a VFR 1200 Competition Werks mount (un-dremeled), let me know

IMG_3358.JPG

A Persian carpet in the garage to park your bike on? :unsure:

Well if you have the money for a 8th gen why not park it on a fancy rug. :P

I park my VFR on a bed of bald eagle feathers and cover it with a sumatra tiger fur blanket. ; )

that plate mount looks heaps better now that it has moved up to where that reflector was...

That is really easy to do on this bike, the whole bottom section just unbolts.

Thats a good idea with the CW license plate mount, I might have to do that with mine to. I might have to get one of those. Id be interested in one.

Thats a good idea with the CW license plate mount, I might have to do that with mine to. I might have to get one of those. Id be interested in one.

I have an extra... didn't dremel it yet. You can have it if you pay for the shipping :) PM me if you want it

Ordered the SW-Mototech rack with a Givi plate and this today.

01-612-0330-01-lg.jpg?size=prodfull

Not sure if it will fit yet, but hey... it can always go on the 07 VFR :)

I have an extra... didn't dremel it yet. You can have it if you pay for the shipping :) PM me if you want it

01-612-0330-01-lg.jpg?size=prodfull

Yes it would be good to know the length of the 8th gen shock to see what else is compatible.

On 7/31/2014 at 9:12 PM, dogman said:
On 7/31/2014 at 1:31 PM, house said:
On 7/31/2014 at 1:31 AM, SHvar said:

Yes it would be good to know the length of the 8th gen shock to see what else is compatible.

I think it will fit... the length is my only concern after looking at the drawings. I checked the mount bolts and the only difference is the length on the lower mount bolt... the diameters are identical. I have a email chain going with Jerry Wohlgemuth over at Ohlins USA, but he is a bit hung up on the VFR 1200 (as in he thinks that's what I bought :rolleyes: .) I hope to get this resolved today and see if he can determine the length of the 6th gen shock vs the 8th gen - It's just too much work to attempt if it won't fit :unsure: The travel on both bikes is 4.7 inches, so I am hopeful!

Shock.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Will.

Great to see you back and nice work!

Would you do me a favor and measure the length of the straight pipes on the pit stand you are using to hold up the rear.

I am a cheap bastid with a welder and no center stand on my long suffering project 3rd gen :)

Has anyone seen any framesliders yet for the new VFR? The 7th Gen was a PIA due to the side mounted radiators. This should be easier.

• Member Contributer

So first to the OP, thanks for the great post, pics and mention of the PDM60. That's a way-cool farkle! A tad pricey but tempting nonetheless. It would replace the somewhat ghetto approach on my old bike, which was a tap from the battery and a tap from the tail lamp, each to a binding post (with all the other widgets connected to one of those), wrapped with non-adhesive electrical tape and tie-wrapped to the bike for stability. Funny thing, that was the only fault-less electric connection on the bike! :wink:

Actually I'm thinking about this and I might still want the Powerlet to connect straight to the battery because it makes a handy connection point for charging if necessary.

I'd be connecting a Powerlet and a Zumo 665 right away, and probably a Scorpio pager alarm ASAP. I also wish to set up hazard ("4-way") flashers on this bike for when I'm doing parade duty. Down the line I'm thinking about better horn(s) and auxiliary [fog?] lighting. After some experimentation I might consider some [tasteful I promise!] LED accent lighting.

Will there be an easy wire run for the Zumo's USB/power cable from the front of the bike above the gauges? On my VFR I had it on the wind screen. I'd like to do the same on this one.

And since you've been exploring the bike fairly thoroughly, maybe you would know, if I wanted to replace the factory disc horn with a larger, louder one, will there be room? On the 4th-gen, suspension travel would crush a Hella Supertone horn on the first good bump. And/or, have you found a good place to stash a Stebel air horn on the new VFR?

Thanks,

Brad

Has anyone seen any framesliders yet for the new VFR? The 7th Gen was a PIA due to the side mounted radiators. This should be easier.

A american company called t rex is selling framesliders and front and rear wheel protectors, they look good but a bit pricey ( they are advertised on UK ebay)

I think it will fit... the length is my only concern after looking at the drawings. I checked the mount bolts and the only difference is the length on the lower mount bolt... the diameters are identical. I have a email chain going with Jerry Wohlgemuth over at Ohlins USA, but he is a bit hung up on the VFR 1200 (as in he thinks that's what I bought :rolleyes: .) I hope to get this resolved today and see if he can determine the length of the 6th gen shock vs the 8th gen - It's just too much work to attempt if it won't fit :unsure: The travel on both bikes is 4.7 inches, so I am hopeful!

attachicon.gifShock.jpg

The critical dimension is the eye to eye center distance.

I have created a table of these lengths for the other generations as follows

Vfr1200 shock length is 321.5mm

4th gen shock is 322.5mm (verified)

5th gen shock is 326.5mm (verified)

6th gen shock is 317mm (verified

This is why an aftermarket shock with ride height adjustment is a good idea to add some versatility.

I would be surprised if it is the same as the 6th gen, but you never know your luck.

Got the license plate holder mounted today. A few tries at what to do with that top tab, but took a few minutes to remove it finally. Looks good, better than the sail. I ended up putting the other 2 blue reflectors on after I took these photos for the top plate mounting bolts.

Glad I took the offer on this item.

Now to decide whats next to change...

IMG_04151_zpsb3c6dbad.jpg

IMG_0414_zps92e4bf38.jpg

Theres 2 more Hondas in this garage, my car (also a VTEC), and that Husqy mower has a Honda motor.

Archived