Potential Re-Release Of Two Brothers Racing Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

Just double checked spam folder....nothing from Rod. I did get a good offer on some pharmaceuticals!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The problem with small builders is they are not geared up for production, they are great for one of fabs but just not got the setup to make repeat orders of dozens of exhausts.

• Member Contributer

Well I'm out of this group buy, as I just found a full set of TBR in great condition on the bay :)

Should be a great addition with your cams... can't wait to see the results. Will you be doing a dyno run or are you waiting for the RapidBike?

• Member Contributer

I've just been in the garage working on my BIG airbox idea, to go with my short velocity stacks. I know its running leaner with the short stacks since my last custom tune, so I believe its breathing more air.

I'd like to get it dyno'd with this setup, before I fit the TBR exhaust, then I think the Race unit should be here by the time exhaust gets fitted. Then in theory I won't need another custom tune, just need to ride it & let it auto tune.

I'll start another thread for the BIG airbox :)

SO!

I got an email finally from Delkevic R&D. Here's what Paul had to say.

"Dear Michael,[/size]

I refer to your email below which you sent to our US operation back in July, sorry it’s taken so long to offer you a response.
Thank you for your feedback and interest in Delkevic products, it’s always satisfying to receive correspondence from informed and knowledgeable like-minded people.
Our primary objective in producing replacement headers is to be able to offer the customer a cost effective replacement exhaust that will well outlast anything else whilst offering like for like performance.
However, when we redeveloped the VFR800 header back in 2012, we took slightly different approach to just a copy of the OEM system so as to reduce production costs, reduce packing size, improve the ease of fitting and could we improve the gas flow?
After some extensive head scratching and exhaustive (pardon the pun) dyno work, we came up with a design that met the criteria and actually, well exceeded the remit and our expectations. I have included a few images of the product, the dyno charts and basic primary dimensions. We also concluded at the time that an increase in the primary header pipe would return BHP, however, to retain gas speed and low end toque, we kept the increase to a conservative dimension (32mm against 28mm of the OEM)

OD at Cylinder head OEM
40mm
ID at Cylinder head OEM
28mm
OD of down pipe OEM
32mm
OD at Cylinder head Delkevic
40mm
ID at Cylinder head Delkevic
32mm
OD of down pipe Delkevic
35mm
OD at collector Delkevic
35mm
Tube wall thickness Delkevic
1mm

At just under £200 they are considerably less expensive than OEM and generally cheaper than almost anything out there, made from 304 stainless steel, they are guaranteed for life and fit the early VFR800F as well as the VTEC!!

http://www.delkevic.co.uk/?section=shop&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=downpipes_8mrlp&product=honda_downpipes&variant=honda_vfr800_v-tec_2001-2013_3211&start=0&search_term&order_by
https://www.facebook.com/Delkevic/photos/pcb.718310954873248/718310704873273/?type=1&theater

Although our exhausts are generally aimed at the replacement aftermarket, if there was sufficient demand, we would be interested in developing a high performance set of headers for the VFR800 using a revised collector and primary diameters. It would be interesting to see how much extra BHP we could actually achieve.
Just for the record, the dyno chart features a STANDARD, VFR800 Vtec with STANDARD mufflers, STANDARD Air filter, STANDARD closed loop fuel system….Totally standard bike with just a set of our headers.
Thanks again for your email, interesting reading.

dyno1_zpsdaaa4441.jpg

Best Regards
Paul Dyer

Delkevic UK Ltd
R+D Dept."

SO........ That being said, should we now forward our gathered specs pics, and dreams to Delkevic, and see if they can deliver some real shit?

I am kinda interested to see what CandyRed and Rush have to say about giving Delkevic a shot at it.

• Member Contributer

Too bad they didn't increase it 3 - 4 mm in ID from the early 5th gen headers instead of the VTEC...

I don't have any experience with Delkevic components... how are their merges and collector welds and angles?

I'm ok with anyone who can build quality performance headers for our bikes... they already have the layout and would just be changing tubing sizes and merges so it could be more cost effective...

Anybody have any feedback on Delkevic?

I would be interested to see what a 35mm ID primary, 40mm down/collector delkevic header would do. cause's it's a 4-1 setup.

They fit and shine really nice, the mufflers are of MUCH higher quality than they sell for.

I've had delkevic silencers on my old bike. loved it.

It's just a matter on if that company can make a header that makes the real bacon.

product5154_3.jpg

230 bucks for an 18" carbon fiber oval silencer w/ removable DB killer and midpipe.

if they made a juicy header I'd be in heaven. lol

• Member Contributer

Are they equal length primaries? What merge configuration do they use? From that pic it looks like the rear down pipes merge together and early before they get under the bike...or is that the new stock 8th gen header configuration?

• Member Contributer

I'm currently running one of their 4 into 1 headers and have had no issues with it.

The only thing I found was the collector was pretty crap from the factory but with a bit of internal grinding I feel I got the gas flow much better.

This is the first time I've seen the dyno charts from them so a 4bhp increase is pretty good and goes to prove a 4 into 1 configuration will work on our bikes.

I'll be running these on my new motor until we can get something sorted via this thread.

If they were interested in doing a more performance related pipe, I'd be interested.

When I first got them, I measured the header lengths and they seemed pretty close to one another, which is way better then the Motad units. Plus the finish is better then the Motad.

Cheers

Phil

Just another question.

What was the bhp gain from the TBR headers on a stock bike?

Anyone got a dyno chart doing this comparo?

I would be interesting to put it against what Delkevic are saying as if Delkevic develop a better collector, using proper merge angles and knife edges, there is a potential gain just in that over the 4 bhp they are saying they get now.

• Member Contributer

I'm interested too if they are willing to entertain our requests...

Voided, I say reach out them with our specs, O2 bungs, and center stand stop and see what they come back with... let them know we have 20 people or so ready to buy. We have reached out and communicated with all the entities in good faith and we haven't had any commit to making our headers. I say we continue to investigate potential collaborators in this project...

Ohhh... 4 into 1 and 2 O2 bungs... how to solve that?!? Delkevic stated the dyno shows a standard closed loop FI system so how do they configure the O2 bungs in the header?

This is getting curiouser and curiouser...

• Member Contributer

There are 2 bungs on the centre collector in my set.

One bung over each set of primary entries.

This is what I mean re the collector.

If they could make a more performance one we could probably look closer at the bung positioning.

They come standard with the centre stand stop and a strap to bolt up to the standard Gen6 under sump mount.

• Member Contributer

Well the TBR on a standard 5th gen adds 5hp. The NEW 2012 Delkevic as per the data above has 98 header dimensions the same as the Motad which adds 3hp to a standard late 5th gen (cat) or any 6th gen. The down side is they have smaller collector diameters thus reducing the performance higher up. Less of an issue on 6th gen, due to Vtec, so they could open them up with no losses.

Interestingly the Honda ECU only requires ONE O2 sensor to work correctly, test it, disconnect one & you will get NO ECU error !

• Member Contributer

So do the O2 sensors just monitor the overall a/f ratio? I always thought that each sensor monitors and adjust either the front or back cylinders

The O2 sensors actually monitor the left or right cylinders... they adjust the fueling to achieve the desired A/F ratio at steady state, closed loop operation... basically while cruising with little throttle position change

• Member Contributer

What was the bhp gain from the TBR headers on a stock bike?

Anyone got a dyno chart doing this comparo?

Post #64 of this thread has dyno charts for a 2001 VFR with K&N filter before and after TBR headers... +7.4 bhp

• Member Contributer

OK so 107 + 7 for TBR = 114 & if my short stacks do what the are supposed to, then add another 5 or 6 & a nice 120 :) That would be so cool.

Archived