Yet Another Newbie With A Heavy Bike...

Guest Luxen1

Guest Luxen1

Hello folks!!!

I just bought a Candy Glory 2007 VFR800 non-abs. I love the style and looks of the VFR but it seems like a horrible idea for a newbie. First, I'm only around 5'7 and 150lbs rider. I did the triangle flip mod and now I am not tip toying but not completely flat footed.

I dropped the bike about 2x because the kickstand sometimes fails to completely spring forward. I dropped her a 3rd time when I slipped on a slow right turn on semi-wet parking lot. It seems like perhaps she's too heavy for me and the low rpm handling below 3k is very annoying. I keep on over concentrating not to stall out from a stop because anything below 3k make the bike ride very rough to the point of shutting off. I have practice for hours on an empty parking lot just getting the bike to move from 1st forward. The surging make it very hard to practice turning on second under 3k. I can't be moving faster than what my brain says is safe for my riding skills.

All of the above has me thinking of getting rid of red beauty for something smaller perhaps. I passed on the Ninja 300 but perhaps I should have not. Any advice on the matter will be highly appreciated...

• Member Contributer

Hello and welcome aboard.

This bike is not a small one and can certainly be a handful especially for a smaller and less experienced rider.

Fueling below 3K doesn't help either.

Having said all that, there are ways of dealing with all of the issues that you are having, but as with anything, you should expect some learning curve.

If you are uncomfortable on the VFR, get something you are comfortable on.

After all, this is about you and not about the bike. If you ain't having fun, then there is no point.

Welcome. I too was a newbie with my 6th gen. I'm the same hight but add 70lbs. The bike is very heavy & takes getting used to. At times I wondered if I should have started smaller but I've gotten pretty good with my vfr. For you it sounds like you might want to go smaller. The kickstand is something you need to check before getting off. A couple times it happened to me but I was able to bring it back up. Trying to keep the revs below 3k is a bad idea. The engine needs revs not just to keep it moving but help keep it upright. Think about a dradel. The lowest I'll operate mine is between 3-4k and that's going down the road. Around any turns like a 90deg I'm around 5k revs. Try some more practicing with higher revs & be VERY gentle with the brakes in any turn. If your still having issues then you might want to think about something smaller. It's a great bike just not a beginner bike. I rolled the dice & got lucky. Ymmv

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from accross the pond :beer:

Well, you dropped her a few tiems already so keep practising turns and brakes. The damage is done already.... :goofy:

Hi and welcome I here what you are saying and I believe comfort is a priority. If you do decide to go smaller don't go to small my daughter is also 5'7" but only 110 lbs and she bought a ninja 650r and finds it very comfortable as it only has about 70 horses and weighs just under 500 lbs wet its a great starter bike that you can still twist the throttle and get away from that ass in a cage on his phone wandering in and out of your lane

• Member Contributer

If you have the space and the money put the VFR away for the season and get a smallish dual sport like a Suzuki DR200. Cheap, probably already a bit bashed up, lighter clutch pull and not enough power to get you into too much trouble. Build your skills and work up to the bigger bike.

• Member Contributer

and Commandant 4 is good stuff!!!

An ill judged pole at a parking lot....

post-8974-0-93441200-1403970792.jpg

post-8974-0-10482500-1403970795.jpg

(the deep scratches over the VFR log were there already, the reason I could pick these case up cheap..)

• Member Contributer

I have a riding friend that is a M/C LEO and rides an ST1300 for work. He's about 5' 9" and weighs 165 - so with practice you should be able to handle the VFR. For slow speed turns as in parking lots or making a U-turn, he uses a touch of rear brake and feathers the clutch with the rpm around 4,000 or a bit more. It takes some practice to balance feathering the clutch and rear brake so take it easy at first. It's not him in this video, but the same concept is used. When the bike is near the camera you can hear how he's revving the engine.

Yes raise the forks in the triple clamps to equal the amount of lowering you did in the rear.

That will help level the bike out.

Get boots with thicker soles.

As a last resort, have Sargent Seats cut and reshape and recover your seat for a better reach to the ground. They are also in Florida, as you are.

• Member Contributer

dont forget that after you lower the forks you have to to MOD THE KICKSTAND!!

either bend it or cut it and reweld to make it shorter since the bike is lower..

Disclaimer!: I am 6'1 and 210#s, so I can't help you there, but!

As a few have mentioned, work on using just your back brake and feathering the clutch for slow speed maneuvering. Having come from a primarily dirt bike background (where it is the order of the day when things slow down or traction is waning, rekluse aside), I urge you to get comfortable with your clutch work. In fact, I often just give a blast of clutch and throttle, not too much, and coast with the clutch in when slow speed maneuvering. Slow down too much, another blip and slip, carry on. Practice smoothly idling around a parking lot, adding a bit of momentum with careful clutch work, you might feel less pressured and rushed. We all know that feeling! 105hp between the legs will do that, but you are in charge and have the tools to tame it when all you need is a little power.

As for the bike being heavy, it is undeniably true. Experience will sort you out there, especially when only rolling around at a walking pace. Keep at it!

All that said, no harm in getting a smaller bike that you feel comfortable on and coming back to the mighty VFR when you are ready. Its all about fun, after all!

• Member Contributer

If you can afford it, keep the VFR and get a used ninja 250. Use it for a year and sell it for what you bought it for.

The under 3000 rpm fuelling thing is fixed by adding a Power Commander and changing the fuel mapping. Many tips and threads here that will explain but basically it will run much differently at low rpm. Was money very well spent.

Thank you guys for all your support & advice. When I flipped the triangle I made sure I brought the forks up to match height. I'm a newbie to motorcycles but not to mechanics.

I haven't ridden her since the mod due to rain. I'm giving myself a couple of months of more practice before I decide to put her up for sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ehhh! It always rains in South Florida so no excuse there but I guess in with all honesty I have become intimidated with her curb weight. Perhaps I need something smaller. Clipons are new for me so either suck it up & drive on or I sell her???

• Member Contributer

As others have mentioned, if you can afford to, keep it and buy a smaller bike to learn on.

Once you are proficient, you will enjoy the VFR, so it'd be a shame to give it up, only to regret doing so a year down the road.

Archived