Loose Spark Plugs.

Alhazred

I bought a '97 750 recently,on my first ride out I noticed it was getting terrible mileage.Today I went to check that the air filter was clean and the choke wasn't sticky,it looked okay.I thought why not pull the plugs to check how it's running and to my surprise they pulled out with almost no resistance and there is also some oil around the base.I'm guessing this is the source of my poor mileage but does anyone think I could have done any other damage?I did about 190 km that day and used 3/4 tank.

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking not very likely to have hurt anything unless the threads are chewed up. However, If I were you I'd go ahead and invest in some new plugs. If you stick

with the old ones, it might be a good idea to make sure they're the correct plugs and in the right heat range. If the plugs tighten up okay, I'd say you're good to go.

Your first name Abdul? And have you written a famous book? :beer:

Yeah I'm sure it didn't hurt anything,and good idea on checking the heat range.I think everything will be fine but first I have to get to the front plugs which has been a mystery so far to me.I can`t even get the upper fairings off.

Thanks for the reply.

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Edit: I see what I was doing wrong with the upper fairing now.

You probably will want to change the plugs, but the fact they were loose suggests the previous owner didn't do the best maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if changing the plugs doesn't improve the fuel economy. I'd turn my attention to the carburetors next.

The funny thing is,he was taking it to the honda dealership for all the maintenance even having the oil changed.

I'm going to change the air filter and the oil/filter today.I guess I'll throw in new plugs also,but they do look almost brand new with a nice tan color(at least the rears do).

The dealership was putting GN4 20w50 in it,does that seem a little much to anyone?I think I'll go back down to 10w40.

When installing a new plug, always torque break loose and re torque , because the compression washer will continue compressing long after the first torque. This prevents loose plugs down the road. Its only on a fresh new plug you need to do this on.

• Member Contributer

If you do that, won't you negate the purpose in using a "compression" washer? I've never done that, and never had a plug get loose.

But maybe I've been doing it wrong. :wacko:

The funny thing is,he was taking it to the honda dealership for all the maintenance even having the oil changed.

I'm going to change the air filter and the oil/filter today.I guess I'll throw in new plugs also,but they do look almost brand new with a nice tan color(at least the rears do).

The dealership was putting GN4 20w50 in it,does that seem a little much to anyone?I think I'll go back down to 10w40.

I would think in Ontario a 0W-40 (Amsoil) would work well for you. Flows like 0 weight when cold, thins no more than 40 weight at operating temps.

• Member Contributer

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :beer: Some guys actually advocate using a new crush washer when you reinstall the plug. Personally

I think that's a bit of overkill.

Hey, if you haven't seen the issue which is quite common, then you wouldn't know any better. most the time new plugs wont lose full torque, just most of it. With todays modern plugs like ngk, I don't even think you could easily remove the compression washer without a lot of effort.

After tightening down the plugs(what a horrible thing to do for the first time)rpms dropped from about 4000 at 80km/h to 3500 at 80km/h.

Also gassed up this afternoon,the fuel gauge was just hitting the red and it took 14 litres.Trip meter was somewhere around 200 km.Did another 40 something km and the gauge hasn't moved.

They're calling for rain most of the week here and with being really busy at work I won't be able to get out much on it to see what it's like now.

Think I will check mine ...

The vfr has tiny iridium plugs and small compression washer, where I've seen the issue is with plugs with larger compression washers, I just do the technique on all, cause it eliminates the issue completely and new plugs stay tight..

• Member Contributer

Just nitpicking, but your rpm won't change at the same speed. The engine is connected solidly by the chain and sprockets to the rear wheel. So at a given rpm

your speed will be a certain amount, nothing short of gearing change, or clutch slipping will change that relationship. If you're making more power or using fuel more

efficiently then your throttle settings may change for a given speed, but not your rpm.

Yeah...thats embarassing,especially because I know that.Maybe I was just trying to convince myself I fixed the problem.I think it's fine now though,after 95km the gauge hasn't moved much.

Sounds like you might have sorted it. With loose plugs you were probably not burning all of the fuel you should have been and thus getting poor mileage. Might be a good idea to through in some carb cleaner through the airbox or add Sea Foam to your tank to just give the carbs a quick clean...or take them off and do it properly if you have time. We don't have Sea Foam in Ireland but I've heard it mentioned on here before.

My usual deal with new plugs is first seat it so the plug and washer seats on the head then turn the ply another quarter to a half turn to compress the washer. You have to be careful not to overtorque the plugs or run the danger of stripping your head.....

Check plugs for deposits and clean and re-gap if needed after another 5K miles

, then reseat the plug with just a qurter turn max, as the washer had already been crushed from the initial installation.

I seen it happen many times to new plugs, that's why I do the procedure, but no it negates nothing other than preventing a loose plug down the road.

that's interesting. Not saying it isn't true, but I never heard of it. Never had it happen either. Huh, maybe I'll do it next go round.

Spark plugs really need to stay in their designated holes.

Had one pop out and hang on the end of the wire once with an old VW bus.

It did not run so good surprisingly, and sounded like a helicopter as I pulled over. :goofy:

Archived