4Th Gen Electrics, So Now What?

Dutchy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nope, waiting for WIREMYBIKE to deliver the mosfet RR and VFRness (adapted for the RR to fit on a 4th gen)

Nope, waiting for WIREMYBIKE to deliver the mosfet RR and VFRness (adapted for the RR to fit on a 4th gen)

This is going to be a special delivery, by courier. Cutting out the middle man (post office)...

• Member Contributer

And -albeit a little late- x-rays show that there is no bone damage....

So no op at this point, the splint *should* result in a fix.... in sha Allah!!!

post-8974-0-53327600-1394704664.jpg

• Member Contributer

Careful Dutchy!, I heard that you can go sterile if you take too many x-rays down there!...... :rolleyes:

Ah! now I know where the term "boner" comes from...... :goofy:

Be happy it wasn't a glas good old scotch. :cheerleader:

Na, gll429 is more a Grand Marnier kind of guy...... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nope, my finger is still attached to my body..... :goofy:

Nothing on redslut,

the RR+VFRness will arrive 7th April

• Member Contributer

no, that tendon needs peace and quiet to heal.

If in about 3-4 weeks it is not healed (I go back to the surgeon for a check) it will be another 8 weeks wearing a splint....

To measure the resistance or continuity in any wire, disconnect both ends of each wire.

Meter set to OHMS, red probe on one end, black probe on the other end.

Wire should have max about 3 ohms. More than that and you have high resistance.

OL means open circuit, maybe broken wire.

Wires still disconnected at each end.

Red probe on one end of wire black probe on ground ( frame, neg batt terminal ) should have open circuit or you have wire shorted to ground.

Red probe on wire, black probe on Pos Batt terminal, meter set to volts, you should have open circuit ,no voltage. If you have voltage, that wire is shorted to power somewhere.

• Member Contributer

Cheers! that I will try over the weekend!

I only did the 1st step.....

To check continuity, disconnect both ends of each wire.

Red probe on one end , black one on the other.

You should have no more than 4 ohms resistance through the wire.

do this for each wire

still disconnected, red probe on one end of wire , black probe on Neg Batt terminal or chassis ground.

You should have open circuit, OL, or you have short to ground

Still on Ohms, red probe on one wire, black probe on the other wire, you should have open circuit or the wires are shorted together

Switch to Volts, one probe on wire, the other on ground, you should see no voltage. if you do, you have a short to power

Nothing on redslut,

the RR+VFRness will arrive 7th April

Special one of a kind R/R will be arriving April 7th, custom made for your bike. This will plug directly into your existing VFRness but will be the new/improved MOSFET R/R. This is of course assuming your VFRness is still good...R/R connector ok etc. You do have one of the oldest 3rd/4th gen VFRness' made...

• Member Contributer

The vfrnesss connectors are still perfect! No discoloration etc

• Member Contributer

Dutchy,

My guess is:-

When you first put the bit of cardboard over the metal bits you most probably prevented a wire with chafed/broken insulation from touching ground or just got lucky moving the harness enough to clear fault. With the following symptoms I would reckon you have more than one wire with chafed or broken insulation in the wiring harness allowing them to touch each other intermittently. There are plenty of ground or earth wires running around in the harness along with 12v carriers! Intermittent short circuits are almost impossible to find with an ohmmeter, doesn't matter how expensive they are, unless you can wiggle the harness whilst you happen to be testing the culprit wires - a big ask.

From what I have read you haven't inspected the wires at the site where you first got a 'fix'. I think you need to open up the wrapping on the harness in this area and have a good look, use a mirror if you have to. Wrapping up the harness after finishing is easy enough, not pretty, but it's all hidden.

I know there are some strange events surrounding RR's failing but I doubt it would cause this fuse to blow! I suggest you do some more investigation before the RR arrives, as much as is possible with the buggered finger, of course.

Good luck.

Mike

• Member Contributer

cheers! that indeed is what I will do. Hoping for no rain over the weekend (do not have a garage)

The RR is toast for sure so that one I need regardless.

Archived