5Th Gen Bolt On Tail Swap?

vfrAustin

• Member Contributer

Ok, so the bike is apart. Checking items off the list one by one. Looked at many tail swaps on the site. What is the closest to a bolt on tail swap for my 5th Gen? Lean and mean is what I am looking for.

Santa may have to bring me a welder?

What do you guys think...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you are looking to just change the plastic, but not the subframe, 5th and 6th gen could be easiest. Not sure, because i haven't done it.

If you are willing to weld, i put a ninja 250 seat and subframe on mine. Cut the tabs off the OEM subframe, weld them to the baby ninja subbie, and away you go.It's a bit more involved than that, but still pretty easy. PaladinReed is in the process of putting an 848 seat on his.

To do it right, there will be power tools involved.

• Member Contributer

almost anything is possible...we mounted a 7G tail to a 5G....

Yea but seems like I would need about 7 sub frames, seats and tails in front of me with a tape measure. Mock up, fit, trial and error. I don't mind that, I just need the best ideas that will work.

I think if you are looking to just change the plastic, but not the subframe, 5th and 6th gen could be easiest. Not sure, because i haven't done it.

If you are willing to weld, i put a ninja 250 seat and subframe on mine. Cut the tabs off the OEM subframe, weld them to the baby ninja subbie, and away you go.It's a bit more involved than that, but still pretty easy. PaladinReed is in the process of putting an 848 seat on his.

No problem with tools. I just don't have measurements and the options in my hands scratch and sniff fit.

• Member Contributer

or you need to show up at a dealer with a tape measure, digital camera, and notebook.

or a bike night.

or any of your friends who has a bike that you like the looks of the tail section...

• Member Contributer

or you need to show up at a dealer with a tape measure, digital camera, and notebook.

or a bike night.

or any of your friends who has a bike that you like the looks of the tail section...

What are YOU doing tonight :goofy:

Yea, I know. Looking for the easy way out. Get one of these, drill holes here, bolts go here and fit the plastics. Well, research goes on. The girls butt just dates her a bit.

• Member Contributer

it really will require about the same amount of work no matter what you choose so you select the rear that speaks to you.

You will have to either cut the donor rear subframe and mount your hacked front anchor points to it or cut and weld heim joints to the new sub frame for some adjustment in attitude as you fit the new plastics.

Just remember that last big pot hole you couldn't avoid and make sure that you have the subframe attached securely by at least 4 points and that it does not rack when you try to move the bike around using it a lever.

You will have your own and it will be really cool!

• Member Contributer

it really will require about the same amount of work no matter what you choose so you select the rear that speaks to you.

You will have to either cut the donor rear subframe and mount your hacked front anchor points to it or cut and weld heim joints to the new sub frame for some adjustment in attitude as you fit the new plastics.

Just remember that last big pot hole you couldn't avoid and make sure that you have the subframe attached securely by at least 4 points and that it does not rack when you try to move the bike around using it a lever.

You will have your own and it will be really cool!

I have a few strong candidates. Looking forward to it.

Yours came out great!!!

• Member Contributer

finding a tweaked 5G rear subframe from ePay or a salvage yard would be a good place to start....you will have the security of having your good stock unit if it all comes apart as you are building and it will also allow you to use the front for fabbing your franken-frame...

• Member Contributer

finding a tweaked 5G rear subframe from ePay or a salvage yard would be a good place to start....you will have the security of having your good stock unit if it all comes apart as you are building and it will also allow you to use the front for fabbing your franken-frame...

Thinking 929 at the moment. Love that ass. I think I saw Seb use fabed "adapters" I want to keep the tabs on the main frame intact and also keep the original sub frame intact to sit on a shelf. The 929 looks like a cut here, a spacer there, blah, blah, blah...

I really think a 929 as on the VFR would be a good match up.

Stay tuned :wink:

• Member Contributer

Hey Austin

If you wanted to add a 6th gen tail to your 5th gen, here is a link to a 6th gen tail swap that was done by one of the guys over on VFRW. Turned out pretty good IMHO and looks really nice. The thread itself is really long (11 pages) but it might be worth having a look.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/36725-T3-Tinks-Annual-Project-Bike-(-98-VFR800)

• Member Contributer

Hey Austin

If you wanted to add a 6th gen tail to your 5th gen, here is a link to a 6th gen tail swap that was done by one of the guys over on VFRW. Turned out pretty good IMHO and looks really nice. The thread itself is really long (11 pages) but it might be worth having a look.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/36725-T3-Tinks-Annual-Project-Bike-(-98-VFR800)

That guy deserves a medal for bringing that back to the living. The tail does look good. :idea3: Lots to think about.

Thanks Zoom

I had a few on my short list as well, mostly small capacity stuff - kawasaki ninja 250, aprillia rs125 (looks a bit like the RSV4, but smaller), yamaha R125... All of these bikes are learner legal bikes in australia, so finding crashed ones isn't that hard.

I went with the ninja because a mate bought one to wreck, so i got seat and subframe cheap. The width of the subframes is near enough to identical, which meant that mounting it was pretty easy, all things considered. The tails from smaller capacity bikes are shorter and narrower than ones from bigger bikes, but still have full size seats. The ninja seat is about 150mm (6 inches) shorter than the 5th gen VFR. It makes the rear tyre look fatter, and shortens the look of the whole bike.I'm also using a battery that fits in the ninja 250 battery box, but with decent CCA. No problems with a smaller (physical) battery starting the vfr.

I didn't check any of this beforehand, i just got lucky. If you are going to take measurements of bikes before you choose, I'd just worry about the width. Adjusting mount points up and down is easy. Making them wider becomes harder to get them to look nice.

• Member Contributer

The good thing about the vfr I have found is that it is pretty narrow with the v4 motor configuration.

You can adapt smaller factory subframes more easily this way to the mounting points on the vfr frame and adjust height and length to taste.

I'm loving the look so far of the 848 subframe but trust me if I had the chance to build a solo tail bike I'd build my vfr with an rc51 race tail and a high left exit pipe. It's a clean, light, oem HRC solution to the factory unit and would look tits

Good luck finding that special one

• Member Contributer

Does the tail need to have passenger capabilities or is a solo tail section alright? Fabricating a small subframe for a solo race tail is a good weight saving option. Just a thought.

Another thing to consider is the shape of the seat and how it will blend with the tank. Some bike seats might work very well as is, whereas others might require significant modification and recovering to look good. I did some photoshop work with some tail swaps and seats to see how they looked on my project before buying parts. The speed triple seat fit very well on my 4th gen with just small amount of heat gun work to match the tank better.

A few quick photo chops for fun:

post-20150-0-18890200-1385439466.jpg

post-20150-0-00846300-1385439518.jpg

• Member Contributer

After looking around for a while at sub frames I think Paladinreed is on to the right path. The RC51 sub frame looks reasonably close in construction and design, and damn good looking. I think I saw a 4th gen with that tail in past post.

They are not as common as others so price is an issue but looks to be a reasonable mod.

Nice photo shop work Apex!

• Member Contributer

After looking around for a while at sub frames I think Paladinreed is on to the right path. The RC51 sub frame looks reasonably close in construction and design, and damn good looking. I think I saw a 4th gen with that tail in past post.

Douglasthecook has an SP tail (and usd front)

HPIM2561.jpg

HPIM2523.jpg

what about this? (had this on my PC, no idea who made it)

fbdba524.jpg

Santa may have to bring me a welder?

What do you guys think...

I think Santa is gonna need to do some weight training if you expect him to stuff me in a stocking and schlep me to NJ.

ps - shoot me a text, I had to wipe my phone and lost your personal #.

2001-2003 CBR600F4i would be a close fit IMO. Tail is a bit leaner than 929 as well. Seat is decent vs the plank on the RC.

• Member Contributer

Now that is why I associate with you engineer types. I think we got it :cheerleader: . The F4i is very similar to the RC, more common and therefore parts are more easily nabbed for cheap. That is the plan...

:beer:

• Member Contributer

With overlapping subframes it looks like the F4i subframe will need to be cropped back but it looks to be close.

FleaBay has what I need, let the games begin.

post-25867-0-38171800-1385522688.jpg

• Member Contributer

Threw a few more photochops together. The F4i subframe will definitely be longer than needed. If you were to keep the f4i seat at stock height the lower subframe rail looks close to lining up with the lower VFR subframe mount. I have no real idea about the upper... nevermind width. But it is food for thought. The second pic is of the f4i seat unit raised a little so the bodywork matches the tank a little better.

And the RC51 tail cause Timmy is so persuasive.

post-20150-0-99319600-1385624119.jpg

post-20150-0-52402900-1385624129.jpg

post-20150-0-13032400-1385624137.jpg

The tail sections should be pretty close to the same scale as the VFR, as well as their stock seat angles.

• Member Contributer

Huge smile on my face looking at the renderings you did Apex! Printing those out and on the shop wall they go for reference. Very nice!!!

I do like the RC just as much but the lines get choppy at the intersection with the tank. The F4i is a bit more clean and definitely could pass for stock. I like the modifications that leave people, common folk, wondering what it is. Subtle to they eye but effective. When complete with other things I am doing it will look and feel lighter, lower and more sleek.

Thanks for your efforts.

Timmy,

If you really think the RC should go on her please send parts to 602 wedge.....

Thanks

Archived