5Th Gen Bolt On Tail Swap?

vfrAustin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

post-25867-0-16993100-1385843342.jpg

Just a mock up at this point till the subframe and other parts show up. This thing may end up a street fighter by the time winter is over.

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Just a mock up at this point till the subframe and other parts show up. This thing may end up a street fighter by the time winter is over.

It's contagious. This bike is just too good stock or modified.

Your dowel needs to be about 2.5" longer (that's what she said) :goofy:

I had no idea you were inclined that way Sebspeed. :491:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What he said, except about Seb's dowel, I'm new here and don't wanna know.

My 2c though, the seat unit needs to go up a bit like Seb said, and it also needs to be a bit shorter than the back tyre , it looks too long to me. The shape of the tail looks great with the tank, though. Can't wait to watch the progress.

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What he said, except about Seb's dowel, I'm new here and don't wanna know.

My 2c though, the seat unit needs to go up a bit like Seb said, and it also needs to be a bit shorter than the back tyre , it looks too long to me. The shape of the tail looks great with the tank, though. Can't wait to watch the progress.

I agree with the overall length of the tail section and that visually the plumb line of the back wheel should not be exceeded, at a maximum. That has been jumping out at me. I will have to modify the tail to shorten it. Because of the wedge shape this is a challenge. I will stare at this for awhile today and try to solve it. 2C always welcome.

Let's leave my "Dowel" out of this. Lol.

I don't want to "Stink bug" the ass of this too high in the air. With the subframe on, I will have to find that perfect height.

For aesthetic purposes, my opinion for the perfect height is for when the passenger seat or seat cowl top, lines up near perfectly with the top of the fuel tank both in height and angle like this RC45.

I've never really understood the whole streetfighter tail up in the air thing, but if someone wants to explain it I'm all ears. Presumably something to do with ground clearance in wheelies or sitting comfortably for really long wheelies I guess.

post-20799-0-07268600-1385913716.jpg

For aesthetic purposes, my opinion for the perfect height is for when the passenger seat or seat cowl top, lines up near perfectly with the top of the fuel tank both in height and angle

I agree. This has always been my fave solo seat-tank combo

713040.jpg

• Member Contributer

For aesthetic purposes, my opinion for the perfect height is for when the passenger seat or seat cowl top, lines up near perfectly with the top of the fuel tank both in height and angle like this RC45.

I've never really understood the whole streetfighter tail up in the air thing, but if someone wants to explain it I'm all ears. Presumably something to do with ground clearance in wheelies or sitting comfortably for really long wheelies I guess.

I cant wait till more parts come in to bring this further along. I somewhat agree with the level line from the tank to the top of tail. To me that is the "neutral" line. I will want to just go above that a bit to give the crouching, or pouncing look.

I know this isn't perforance stuff but the devil is in the details.

Performance is in the process too.

Interesting project.

Not sure I get it though.

I can't see the tail section when I ride.

And riding is what bikes are for, imho. :comp13:

One of the reasons the arse in the air thing was more popular in Europe, and especially Germany, was because they have massive number plates,if the seat unit is high, you can attach the plate to it, so it looks much better from the side. I think there's also a bit of "F you, i'll do what i want" thrown in, too.

I'm not a fan of the germanic tails myself, but i think you need some height with the tail - a nice big gap between the tail and back tyre makes everything look more aggressive. the RC45 has a nice line at the top of the tank and top of the seat, but it's a classic look, same as the yammie RZ. It looks nice, but they don't look modern or aggressive.

With a minimal gap between tyre and seat, i reckon a bike looks visually heavy.

You can fake it with paint, too, both of the attached pics use paint to make the lines a bit sharper - both have diagonal lines from belly pan to the tail to tie it all together.

• Member Contributer

I had to compromise a touch on the tail of my naked VFR because I knew if I angled the rear any higher I would have a slight slant into the tank that would ruin comfort for me. I wanted a little more angle but after 5000km this year Im very glad I compromised. Some tails obviously have higher sections behind the main seat that lend themselves better to being level with the top of the tank, and I do think usually this looks best. But there are other bikes that I think look great with a lower seat than level with the tank. This one comes to mind:

post-20150-0-50534500-1385968416.jpg

@Keef: Yeah, it is kind of a classic look.. I can agree with that but it does sort of work with newer models too..

take this 2007 CBR1k as example (07 being my favourite year for CBR bodywork, 600 included). The height of the tail in this case is just a tiny bit higher than the tank but the angle is sloping forward by the same amount both on the tail and the tank.

Since the VFR tank angles down just a little that means you can lift the tail higher to keep the lines matching, but further up than this would just look silly imo:

[edit]: picture I linked kept breaking for some reason so I just attached it

post-20799-0-06614400-1386010547.jpg

• Member Contributer

Interesting project.

Not sure I get it though.

I can't see the tail section when I ride.

And riding is what bikes are for, imho. :comp13:

Well then I think you are missing an aspect of what these machines are to some of us. I see them as art, each piece, and the whole, is a sculpture that someone created as a solution to a problem or aesthetic idea. Every curve or piece would not exist unless a person created it in the same way that a painting is created. I ask you, is the Golden Gate bridge just a way to get cars across a river? CUE MUSIC! Is the Ducati 916 just a thing to ride? a tool? ... Even a hammer has an aesthetic that can be appreciated in the eyes of some but its intent is just to hit a nail.

I ride. But I also sit and stare at my motorcycle(s) because I like to appreciate good design/art. IMHO

Even a hammer has an aesthetic that can be appreciated in the eyes of some

LOL, I bought the little Harbor Fright hammer. You got me. :laugh:

Actually I do like to eye the machinery, and the Italians have some good designers.

Maybe it's something in the pasta. Or the vino.

It's art, but better. Because it works and is fun to ride too. Plain old art just sits there. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Just got the CBR600F4i subframe last night. I started mock things up further with most parts in place. Seat, tail section and subframe. It looks like all the parts want to play well together. It may be a "Bolt on" in some respects but by no means without effort because of the way that I want to do it.

I actually used the subframe from the single seat tail, not the subframe that matches the tail I will be using. I really just wanted the base of the subframe.

I will be reshaping the solo section of the tail . I do not like the overall length. Chop, nip and tuck then glass over top.I will never have a passenger so this is not a consideration to the end result.

It will be hard finding time to work on this in the coming weeks. Arggg! considering holiday functions, vacation away from home, cold and lack of lighting at my storage unit.

Pics when I have something interesting to look at...

• Member Contributer

I cut up the subframe and am very satisfied with the way things are fitting together. Funny how the parts tell you how they want to fit sometimes. The angles are great but you can't tell from the pic because of the rear stand. The seat fits fantastic.

post-25867-0-06250200-1387153684.jpg

Crappy pic for now.

Hard to find time to obsess on this.

I need to fab a subframe tray for the electrics and customize the F4i tail section.

Today was good to really figure out the bulk of fitting everything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Started the tail section. Had to fiberglass most of the tail to create a solo and crop the overall length. General shape and first coat of bondo is on.

post-25867-0-63970800-1389558825.jpg

post-25867-0-84887100-1389558797.jpg

Subframe and tray are complete. Just need some finishes and tapping final mounting fasteners.

No welding. Bolt on tail. I also finished the complete VTR1000 front swap. I changed clip-ons, levers, triples, everything at the front is VTR.

All bodywork is going back on. I fought the urge to Streetfighter it.

post-25867-0-70088600-1389558842.jpg

post-25867-0-02654300-1389558862.jpg

The garage is getting a little crowded.

post-25867-0-94891400-1389558894.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very good call on shortening the tail! Gives the bike a much more modern shape. I thought the subframe rails would come close to lining up with the bolts! Even the width was good? Amazing

• Member Contributer

Hey Andy,

The width needed to be massaged a little. I kept measuring my way back till the subframe rail spacing met up with the existing bolt holes. Believe it or not the CBR seat gave me the angle to set the subframe. The bottom needed to have about 3/16" taken off of the insides. The top is shimmed about a 1/2" on each side. You're rendering was accurate. After all the measuring was done, cuts and drilling, it is a no weld bolt on swap which could go back to original if one ever wanted.

If I had used the CBR battery tray and didn't modify the tail, I would be done by now.

All bodywork is going back on. I fought the urge to Streetfighter it.

You should never fight that urge. Just give in to it and join ussss.

The tail looks great, by the way. I reckon the exhaust needs to go even higher now to open up the space between the wheel and the seat unit.

Or lower of course, like a GP style shorty.

Archived