Single-Sided Swingarm

Guest VFRWood

That's pretty amazing, I always wondered how they do that. Isn't the SSSA attached to the motor since it is a stressed member?

Honda called it their "Controlled Flex" chassis design when they started mounting their swingarms on their engine cases instead of spar sideplates. They supposedly found out that the added compliance they get with the cases mounted swingarms when the rear suspension is side loaded when leaned over, helped their race bikes handle better when turning. It's one of those things they directly took from racing bikes into street bike design, apparently with great success as with the post 4th Gen VFRs...

• Member Contributer

It would be through the stock pivot for the OE swingarm, in the frame as on 3rd and 4th gens. Considering the sprocket centerlines have to match up, fitting the pivot bolt to the swingarm and mounting the shock, it's got to be quite a project. Looking at the photo, he's missing a couple of lugnuts on the rear wheel. Hopefully the buyer notices . . . :huh:

• Member Contributer

It would be through the stock pivot for the OE swingarm, in the frame as on 3rd and 4th gens. Considering the sprocket centerlines have to match up, fitting the pivot bolt to the swingarm and mounting the shock, it's got to be quite a project. Looking at the photo, he's missing a couple of lugnuts on the rear wheel. Hopefully the buyer notices . . . :huh:

I saw only 2 lugnuts, but was hoping that was just the picture and not the fact.. :unsure2:

• Member Contributer

It's Toecutter's bike over on vfrworld, I'm sure he knew the lug nuts were gone, maybe he took them off to put on his Toro-charged 6th gen?

It is quite a project, one I looked at myself and then decided too much work for me...

IMG_3372Medium.jpg

If you do try it I think the '92-'93 and 4th gen swingarms are preferred, the 5th-6th sssa are too wide.

• Member Contributer

i did a swap for a customer a few years ago. it was pretty much a straight forward swap.

all i had to if i remember right... was make some spacers for the swing arm pivot. used a 99 swingarm.

the motor and chain line are are 99% identical to the later gear driven models. so that was not a problem at all.

:fing02:

• 3 weeks later...

Local member, I'll vouch for him. It can be done.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4203260941.html

00s0s_2HmFQWEnZSw_600x450.jpg

wow its unreal to see a bike finished as you were planning to do before you even started !!! :beer: even down to the supertrapp pipe-- now i will not be able to sleep at night-- :schla15:

I am sorry to double post but can this quit possibly be the best vfr ever??? ?????????? :cheerleader:

modern wheels, suspension, brakes-- after market exhaust -and the supertrapps are just so cool add discs open end cap great sound------ jet kit i suppose- about 10 more hp then stock no flat spots- -------- :beer::beer: sorry guys i have not seen one finished-- to me is just so cool-- :cool: WOW !!!!

Archived