Vin Plate Rivets

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

Well, I finally managed to track down some of these little buggers that have eluded me since my first resto job, thanks to some members of the VJMC here.

hammerDrives.jpg

Silly me was looking for "rivets", but they're actually called "hammer drives" for some reason!!

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I now have a hundred (well, 98 :wink: ) of these little gems, and I don't plan on that many projects, so if any of you out there need some of these to re-attach your VIN plates, let me know and I'll send some out to you gratis. Beats using the double-sided tape thing, and looks factory.

VF750F-IDplate.jpg

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Oh, nice find! I could use some of those!

Ditto! I was just thinking how long it would take me to find something like that even with the proper name. Cool.

Let me know how much you want for 10 to be mailed to WA and I will send some cash your way. They will definitely be useful.

• Member Contributer

Troubling to know that it is so easy for those that might be not so honest to attach a VIN plate to a frame that is not a match for the VIN...

Is there a VIN stamp somewhere else on the frame that should match up?

• Member Contributer

Troubling to know that it is so easy for those that might be not so honest to attach a VIN plate to a frame that is not a match for the VIN...

Is there a VIN stamp somewhere else on the frame that should match up?

Yes, the factory stamping in on the steering neck of the frame.

On later models the plate isn't even metal, it is stick on decal that makes powder-coating your frame a contemplative decision...how much grief will I get from the DMV ?

• Member Contributer

So it's more of an informational plaque than a true VIN identifier. Makes sense now...

On later models the plate isn't even metal, it is stick on decal that makes powder-coating your frame a contemplative decision...how much grief will I get from the DMV ?

The previous owner of Mswera803's VFR took the decal off the frame because he liked the "clean" look. No problems from the DMV.

• Member Contributer

If they fell off, wouldn't that mean that the hole wore out? Would you just put in a new set of holes and drive them in there?

They didn't fall out. I took the plate off when I had the frame powder coated :wink:

• Member Contributer

OK guys, PM me with your postal address and I'll pop some in an envelope for you. Postage won't be worth worrying about, so I'm not going to :wink:

How many were you after Seb? I could stuff a few in an envelop if you like? They are 2G in size. I got a hundred of them for $11, so you can see why I'm giving them away. Thought there must be more guys out there that could use them.

Jeff, I'll try and get yours off before the weekend.

cheers guys

ian

The actual VIN is on the headstock. All others are NOT the real VIN. I dont know about bikes, but all cars sold in the USA have the VIN etched in 30-25 places, nut the one in the lower left of the windscreen is the REAL VIN.

PS: altering the actual VIN is a felony.

Makes is silly for very old HD and some Triumphs, because they were originally registered with ENGINE Numbers.

• Member Contributer

OK guys, PM me with your postal address and I'll pop some in an envelope for you. Postage won't be worth worrying about, so I'm not going to :wink:

How many were you after Seb? I could stuff a few in an envelop if you like? They are 2G in size. I got a hundred of them for $11, so you can see why I'm giving them away. Thought there must be more guys out there that could use them.

cheers guys

ian

OK, I don't know if I'm the first one to say it, but your barcode thingy in your signature is totally cool...! Just tried it out with my phone...

• Member Contributer

cheers guys

ian

OK, I don't know if I'm the first one to say it, but your barcode thingy in your signature is totally cool...! Just tried it out with my phone...

thanks. wasn't sure if anyone would get it :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow, I am away for a little while and something I was looking for since I powdercoated my frame shows up. Sending you a PM Ian.

And thanks!

Archived