Rear Brake Rotor 4Th Gen - Winter Project

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Your inputs on a few questions are appreciated....

Measured my rear rotor with a micrometer and it is close to the limit and the wear looks uneven/marked

post-8974-0-93709800-1381743265.jpg

Looking at the service manual, it looks like I can leave the bearing in place. This bearing reportedly a *BIATCH* to remove, so if not needed perse, I want to avoid. (I will have a pull but not insist...)

post-8974-0-12592400-1381743355.jpg

So.........

After removing (1) (2) (3) will the rear axle pull out easily?

Ot must I prepare for battle?

Regrease the axle with "special" grease or will universal automotive or copper grease do fine?

I have a spare rear axle so I will measure and post of pics of both then, so you may tell me which one is "betterder" :-)

Ordered an EBC rotor and pads; decided to give China Ebay a miss...

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ANY BEARINGS

You should be able to pull the axle really easily after removing 1, 2 and 3.

Nut number 1 may be semi-soldered on over the years... I needed a 1.8 metre extensión bar to get enough leverage to loosen it off. Serious chit.

Don't forget of course that this nut has a safety notch feature in the washer that you must straighten out BEFORE trying to loosen the nut.

Once that nut's off.. if the axle doesn't slide out by just loooking at it... a slight knock with a large mallet from the LHS. No fear...

Just a tip... loosen the bolts that hold the brake rotor onto the axle BEFORE you remove or loosen the large axle nut... that way you are using the bike as a vice... once off the bike it can be tricky as (at least on 5th and 6th gens) the bolt heads are very shallow in height and it can be hard to get a good grip on them even with the best quality socket... you may even need an impact wrench (I did recently) to get these babies loose... and this will require precisión impacts... (and due to the difficult Access you may need to remove the axle-rotor assembly from the bike and use a vice/workbench after all) as you can so easily strip those boltheads and then you'll need to get all Friday the 13th with an anglegrinder.

I would just use any old axle grease.

• Member Contributer

My axle was seized on the 4th gen project. A sledgehammer wasn't cutting it. I had to put it in the press, took a bit above 20 tons pressure to break loose. The swingarm wasn't on the bike, which made that bit easier.

My axle was seized on the 4th gen project. A sledgehammer wasn't cutting it. I had to put it in the press, took a bit above 20 tons pressure to break loose. The swingarm wasn't on the bike, which made that bit easier.

:unsure::unsure: :unsure:

• Member Contributer

:unsure::unsure: :unsure:

??

When I took my rear axle out when I was working on the 848 conversion (one more part to go!), I couldn't get the axle out. It was stuck to the sprocket carrier. I had to take the entire swingarm, plop it on the hydraulic press, and pump until the gunshot went off.

Dutchy, if you have never had the back apart, I would take everything on the axle off and give it a good cleaning and regreasing. That includes popping the eccentric out. Never know how much dirt and grime you have in there. Mine had a ton. The triumph eccentric had what appeared to be never-seize on it. The VFR one was just dirt.

• Member Contributer

Cheers guys!

Here's hoping to the "easy slide out and in" scenario..... :comp13:

Next is me sourcing a M46 socket, for I think that is the size of the nut......

If you're going through the trouble to take the axle out, then trust me, since you're already in that far, you really really DO want to remove all the bearings, and completely clean and regrease them.

Who knows, if they look to be in bad shape, then you can replace them before they fail, and possibly damage your axle and cause a breakdown far from home.

• Member Contributer

Just reading through this thread gives me pause.

This may turn out to be more work that you are ready to handle.

Try not to pass the point of no return. Otherwise you will either have to haul the bike to the shop or remove the swing arm to take it there for repairs.

Now, is that rotor really so bad?

Rear brakes are overrated :wink:

Another option is to pop the axle out of the bearing cassette, buy the needed bearings and seals from the aftermarket (way cheaper than Honda) and take the bearing cassette to your local bike shop and have them swap the bearings, then reinstall everything back on the bike at home.

Do you really need to take the axle off the swingarm??....Just wondering, can't you just unbolt the disk from the axle flange then take it off the bike by working it through what looks like a lot of space in that cross shaped central cut out on the disk??

• Member Contributer

I'll be darned! I only saw the rear axle with 4 bolts through the disc...... never saw that if I unbolt and rotate, the disc may just come off.....

This I can do in my "garage" aka the front garden :goofy:

For the rear bearing, I would need a proper garage space; which takes more organising.

But, since redslut is 16 years old now, the time is coming in my mind that I really should pull the bearing, clean and inspect.

So, where does one source the parts? Anyone have the #'s?

Unfortunately you cannot just slide the rotor off.. The X-shaped slot doesn't allow this.. Wish it did!!

You have to pull the axle.

Whether or not you decide to pull bearings and replace etc is your prerogative.. I never bothered in 130,000 km and the axle slid right out and the rear shows no sign whatsoever of wear and tear.

But obviously it is never a bad thing to do so.

I have swapped a Gen 4 rear rotor without pulling the axle. You will have to use a rubber mallet to coax it a little. Same with installing the new one. It isn't violent. Just a couple of precise hits.

• Member Contributer

I've had part number 4 (the sprocket carrier) seize onto the axle before, which necessitated a lot of swearing to free... Do you have a selection of gear pullers to hand?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've had part number 4 (the sprocket carrier) seize onto the axle before, which necessitated a lot of swearing to free... Do you have a selection of gear pullers to hand?

Ciao,

nope.............. so when the time comes, I will see if the bearing holder comes out easily. if not leave it be....

• Member Contributer

Well, if the carrier is stuck and you can't force the rotor off the spindle, you will have one soon!

The eccentric should come out really easy, provided you remember to loosen the pinch bolt.

Holy Cow!, 20+ tons of pressure to get it out?! Good that evidently, nothing else bent or broke in the process....

Would some sort of anti seize compound be a good thing to put on when servicing the axle, to avoid this from happening?

• Member Contributer

Some anti-seize might not be a bad idea. As I said, the triumph eccentric had it between the swingarm bore and the eccentric, but nothing was on the spline on the axle.

• Member Contributer

My faith in German efficiency has been damaged..............

Louis.de listed the rotor as available; EBC for a good price

So I ordered it, with a set of pads.

4 days later nothing received so I phoned if there was a problem.

"no sir, the parts are in stock and we will send them shortly"

Well.............. they took my money, but refunded the rotor now because it is no more available -ever-.

But they did ships the pads..........

Duh.......... but at least they will accept a return and refund....

so back to the drawing board....

Can anyone recommend an Ebay seller they have good experience with (with regards to brake rotors)?

For those suggesting anti-sieze on the axle, I just use a light coating of grease, you've got plenty on hand (get it?) when you're repacking the brarings anyhow, so it's easy to put a light coat on the entire axle before installation.

My faith in German efficiency has been damaged..............

Louis.de listed the rotor as available; EBC for a good price

So I ordered it, with a set of pads.

4 days later nothing received so I phoned if there was a problem.

"no sir, the parts are in stock and we will send them shortly"

Well.............. they took my money, but refunded the rotor now because it is no more available -ever-.

But they did ships the pads..........

Duh.......... but at least they will accept a return and refund....

so back to the drawing board....

Can anyone recommend an Ebay seller they have good experience with (with regards to brake rotors)?

Japparts has these rotors in stock I think

• Member Contributer

For those suggesting anti-sieze on the axle, I just use a light coating of grease, you've got plenty on hand (get it?) when you're repacking the brarings anyhow, so it's easy to put a light coat on the entire axle before installation.

Not so much on the axle but the spline and the outside of the eccentric.

Archived