Delkevic Headers On 2010 6Th Gen

HighSideNZ

• Member Contributer

Hi all from New Zealand

I've been looking for a better set of headers for my 2010 6th Gen after fitting a set of Motads and not being to happy with the header lengths etc.

Stumbled across a new header design from Delkevic US that is listed as fitting the Vtec models as well as the 5th Gen. This was on ebay.com at the following link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VFR800-1998-99-00-2001-HEADER-EXHAUST-DOWNPIPES-VFR-800-/170958059553?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cde4f821&vxp=mtr

The general design is of a 4 into 1 into 2 instead of the normal 4 into 2 into 1 into 2.

So I pulled the pin and ordered a set.

On inspection when they arrived, the header lengths were pretty close to equal bar the one for cylinder 1 but still much better than the other pipes I'd measured.

The one thing that was quite poor though was the inside of the collector. When the tailpipe was fitted and welded into the collector, the pipe was pushed inside the collector by about 25-30mm making the flow characteristics pretty bad. I've ringed the offending part on the uploaded image

I cleaned it up with carbide rotary burrs and grinding drums, back to the joint between the tailpipe and collector body. Much smoother flow.

Fitting the pipes was a bit of a mission and once I had them all fitted up I heated the bottom bends on all the pipes and used a jack under the collector to be able to bolt the collector to the bottom of the engine.

Once I'd done that it was plain sailing and everything tightened up witout issue.

The kit includes everything needed for the install, including the copper port gaskets and hi temp silicone as well.

From my calculations the headers should be around 540mm long and 34mm in diameter for a high performance street 4 into 1 and these are not far off.

I'll post more once I have some dyno readings etc.

Phil

post-25941-0-99163000-1380363889.jpg

post-25941-0-51647100-1380363891.jpg

post-25941-0-87296200-1380363892.jpg

Didn't we see this bad internal stuff going on in Delkevic collectors some years ago already. Having 30mm of extra pipe in there is not good at all and you'd think Delkevic is in the business long enough already to know that a good amount of their customers would not be happy seeing that in the system they just bought....

• Member Contributer

Yep, you are right, no one makes a true performance pipe for the VFR anymore.

The Motads are quite different in pipe lengths and they are all MIG welded which does not look the best. Not that the welding causes a performance problem.

Maybe I'm a bit picky, but for what you pay for the Motads, I feel they could TIG weld them and make them a much better looking product.

I took the bike for a pretty good 300k blast today and the seat of the pants dyno felt pretty good.

The thing I noticed the ost was that the Vtec transition was even smoother.

With my RapidBike module and the Motads I had it pretty smooth, but it does feel even better now.

Another thing was that my fuel map is a bit rich down low now so I need to correct that. Not sure if this is the pipe totally or the difference between standard fitted cams and correctly dialed cams as I've just done them whilst I was checking the valve clearances with the motor out of the frame.

I'm not going to be able to get it to a dyno in the next few weeks so I'll see if I can get a run on mu Veypor and see what difference I have from my last run.

Also, the sound is a bit more raspy. and I wonder if that is due to the 4 into 1 configuration.

• Member Contributer

Hi

The primaries are 34mm and the secondary 48mm to fit inside a 50mm up pipe.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Nice project.

Could you explain a bit more about how you "dialed in" the cams? Just curious how that's done on the chain driven 6th gen engine. Are there slotted adjustments on the cam sprockets?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Hi

I bought a new set of cam sprockets and had them slotted 10 degrees either side of centre.

This allowed me to then get the lobe centre degrees set to what the cams should be. 100.5 deg for the inlet and 102.5 deg for the exh. Both measured at normal clearance and 1mm lift.

I found that the rear intake cam was retarded by about 3 degrees and the front intake was pretty much spot on.

The exhaust cams don't matter so much and both were within about half a degree.

Not the type of job to do with the motor in the frame though as it is just too tight and too hard to see what you are doing.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Where in NZ are you HighSideNZ - Phil? I am in NZ too, I have owned 2 x 6th Gen and 2 x 5th Gen - current bike a 5th Gen again - I like the style of the 6th Gen but loved the gear drive of the 5h Gen too much so after a 2004 and 2008 vtec I just had to get a 5th Gen.

Anyway I see there is a set of Motad headers on Trademe for 6th Gen is they you selling those? I too have been thinking about importing the Delkevic full set for my VFR - thinking of the 14" high side with header for $499 USD + shipping + customs/import fees.

Good to see pics of your setup.

• Member Contributer

No video.

I'm working on the RB3 mapping at present, when the weather permits.

Once I've got the mapping sorted, I'll get an handle on the RWHP and post the results.

• Member Contributer

I don't think it really matters with the two brothers cans.

The up pipe from the collector is the same size on the 2Bro pipes as the other makes of pipes like my LeoVince etc.

It's just the 2Bro route all the exhause thru the one can.

Honestly, with the size of the secondary/tail pipes on these bikes, the single can/pipe can handle it all without an issue.

Just looks more realistic when both cans are working in my opinion

Archived