4Th Gen ... Pilot Power Up Front, Pr2 Or Pr3 At Rear?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Hi there,

My PP upfront is pretty new, the PR2 back due soon.

Any opinion on fitting a PR3 at the rear this time?

Cost is a real differentiator here, only some 10-15%.

• Member Contributer

If you are sticking with the Power front then by all means go with the PR2. The PR3 has a solid edge in wet grip but having extra wet grip in the rear would be somewhat neutralized by the Power front. The Power is actually a good wet tire and a solid match for the PR2 and together they will give you the best combination of the wear/dry grip/wet grip/handling.

Don't waste your money on the PR3 unless you plan on going PR3 front and rear in the future.

My $00.02

KEB

Then once they've worn out, try a set of Contis. SportAttack front and RoadAttack rear. Perfect for my 4th Gen :cool:

The reason I interjected is that I notice you guys tend to run with different models front and rear. So in your choices, you run with a stickier front and better wearing rear? Makes sense of course, but to know that you guys do the same is interesting. My dad put me onto running the stickier Conti front and harder rear, he runs the same on his Triumph Sprint RS 955i.

Before that I was running Dunlop RoadSmarts, no idea if they were different compounds front and rear, but toward the end, the rear was all over the place - sometimes fun! The Continentals don't allow that same fun, but at least I am on rails.

• Member Contributer

The only real difference between a PR2 & PR3 is the sipes. The sipes are only an advantage in the wet, and can be detrimental on dry pavement.

So really these tyres are best suited to distinct/discreet climate riders? What I mean by that is, your wet season is WET and your dry season is DRY?

May be an Australian thing, where our preferences are for an all-round performer (no references to Bob Jane intended). I can't imagine I would want a definite disadvantage for dry conditions unless the season in which I was riding 10K+ Km was at least 75% of the time really wet.

Sorry for hijacking. So endeth my hijack. Curious about other-worldly rider things.

• Member Contributer

I have ridden quite a few miles in the wet with my PP/PR2 combo, and have never had a serious issue with traction.

If I rode a lot in the rain I might consider the PR3, but it is of dubious value in my climate.

• Member Contributer

Hijack away! I sometimes "wander" as well.

For years and years I had the BT020 on my bike, cos I simply didnot know better.....

7 years ago I joined VFRD and a world opened (and my wallet emptied :goofy: )

Ran de PR combo and the PR2 combo.

Then BR said the PP front was good in combination with PR2 rear. and he is right.

My PP front is still good so I will fit another PR2/3 (leaning to 2 now.....)

When they are both due at the same time I will indeed look into switching brands.

Am not a racer/kneedown kinda guy, but still look for grip and handling.

So any feedback/inputs are welcome :cheerleader:

No complaints from me with PR3 front and rear. I wouldn't say that the shipping is detrimental to traction, that's definitely a false statement. I've not had one slip up in wet or dry and I'm about 2000 miles in with minimal wear.

• Member Contributer

So really these tyres are best suited to distinct/discreet climate riders? What I mean by that is, your wet season is WET and your dry season is DRY?

May be an Australian thing, where our preferences are for an all-round performer (no references to Bob Jane intended). I can't imagine I would want a definite disadvantage for dry conditions unless the season in which I was riding 10K+ Km was at least 75% of the time really wet.

Sorry for hijacking. So endeth my hijack. Curious about other-worldly rider things.

The tires as described have an area where one is measurably better than the other. There is no distinct dry/wet season per se in this area but this manner of differentiating between the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two tires allows those who know best how and when they ride to determine which of the two tires would match their situation better.

For example the Pilot Road II is generally less expensive than the Pilot Road III. If you are the type of rider who looks longer at the sky than at the map then perhaps you can say that I will save a few extra $s as I generally don't ride in the wet.

If you commute on your bike and don't own a car you would probably opt for the better wet performance tire as you know you will be riding in the rain around people who can't see motorbikes. I have owned a few sets of each and put them through their paces on roads from Georgia to NY, for my numbazz the PR III does not squirm excessively from the additional siping that provides the stellar wet road performance. At the same time the PR II is not significantly worse than the newer tire design on a wet ride such that I have to allow for the tire choice more than I do for the road being wet.

I would gladly run either but wouldn't pay more than $20 or so premium for the PR III.

BTW all of these PR2 PR3 runs have been made on my VFR with a PP front, no issue. On my ST1300, PR3s F/R...

I got my PR2CTs as my first set of Michelins after being a Dunlop guy for many years and I'm never looking back.

I do feel a little bit of slowness in transitioning for turns, but it's not that bad really, once you know to expect it and act a half step ahead, but I heard that they got rid of that slowness with the PR3s

• Member Contributer

I have migrated through PP, to PR2CT, and now to PR3. Each generation has improved wet grip and center tread wear. I have never had any of them let go in the wet, but I felt squirming and sliding with the PP's that I never felt when charging down a wet set of esses on PR2CT's. The PR3's are siped even more sharply than the PR2CT's, and seem even grippier. The mag reviews do not show mileage decrease, rather the opposite with the harder center tread. Given where you live I would think that wet performance would be a big factor.

The front is really where I would invest in the best wet grip, as if it lets go, you are down so fast you will still be in the air while your bike slides away. No chance to save it. If the rear steps out or slides you can usually feather the clutch a hair and get it back in line. Big difference. So I am saying for the small price difference, I would suggest the PR3's front and rear at the same time. If it is all dry pavement, I would easily use up the balance of the PR2 on the front before adding the new PR3 up front. Fronts wear more slowly unless you ride the really curvy roads all the time.

• Member Contributer

The Pilot Power 2CT rear is a tenner cheaper than the Pilot Road 2 (180/55 ZR17).

Opinions/experience on wear? (no track or knee dragging).

• Member Contributer

If your front is about half through it's life (probably around 3-5000km?) I would consider a matching Pilot Power rear. You will get to enjoy quick grippy handling and your front and rear will be done at the same time. Then you can spoon on a full new set in about 5000km. Sure it will probably be more economical to buy a PR2/3 as they last twice as long, however I do like putting on a full new set at the same time and it would give you a chance to maybe try something like the Pirelli Angel GT's or Bridgestone T30 next time around... if they interest you.

Just my 5 cents (we don't have pennies here anymore)

PS Nice work on the bike duchy, I'm sure you're enjoying the hard bags!

• Member Contributer

I don't really like the PP2CT...the tires are just too soft and don't last long at all under the weight of the VFR.

• Member Contributer

I am really liking my Power front and Road 2CT rear combo. I've got about 2K km on them now and like the quicker turn in than the Road 2CT front/rear combo. With that setup the front wore out sooner than the rear....a first for me. Not sure if anybody else has experienced the same. I've only done dry weather riding so cannot comment on wet weather handling.

I did a spreadsheet of all the popular makes* and this was the cheapest setup since the Power front is much cheaper than the Road 2/3 front and the Road 2 has been superseded. Only minor issue is that the 170 rear for the 5" wheels usually need to special ordered.

*Using pricing from BaysidePerformance.ca

• Member Contributer

Well, I just put on a PP3 (front) and a PR2 (rear) today...I should have a review after this weekend, I'll be doing the So. Sierra run with BrianF and the NoCal crew.

• Member Contributer

Any opinion on fitting a PR3 at the rear this time?

Since the front is part worn I'd suggest go for a PP2CT rear.
Michelin are my favourite tire - I've used 6 sets of PP or PP2CT since 2005 and a couple sets of Pilot Sport at the turn of the century. But last year, for whatever reason, I decided to replace the oe Dunlop D204 with a set of Pirelli Angel ST and was disappointed. I tried a couple of sets of Bt020 & Bt014 in the mid '2000's but they didn't feel as good as the Michelins either.
So this year I chose a set of Pilot Power 3 and they feel every bit as good as the PP2CT. At 7,000 km both front & rear look good for several thousand more. Michelin suggest 20% more tread life than the PP2CT and I see no reason to doubt them.

My experience with the Dunlop Q3 has been great as well. Aside from cooking half of it off at the track due to improper hot psi I didn't have one slip up. Even with the elevated pressure. I'm guessing they're going to wear pretty well too.

• Member Contributer

Well, the deed is done; just ordered a PP 2CT rear.

Thanks for ALL your inputs; at the end of the day I picked this one because:

never had a PP rear before

I'm hoping it will wear out equally with the PP front, so I then might switch brands.

This was also the 1st time I did some online shopping for tires; I always used to go to my dealer...

Initially I was looking for a PR2 (180/55/17 for my 8-spoker), me bringing the rim with the old tire, they fit&balance, get rid off the old tire.

"with discount? let me see... Eur 220 ($275)"

"what is your best price?"

"because it is you, Euro 190"

I now get the tire delivered to my door for Eur 119 (found a 3% discount code on internel price)

Local (3km) car&motorcycle rental place does fitting balancing etc for 15 euro.. that is 30% less....

Archived