Trackbike Build - From Scratch

MVinOZ

None that I'm aware of, these are CBR600f4i units that I had some adaptor plates made for. I chose them mostly because they have a shift rod & the rear MC bolts straight up.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Yes, well overdue!

I've started typing up an update a couple of times, but things keep getting in the way, thanks for the reminder! Stay tuned.

We'll get back to the exhaust, but before I fitted that up I had to mount the rear shock.

I got some 5mm steel & started doing inappropriate things with the shop press.

Like, probably don't try this at home, try it at your mates place who's girlfriend is a nurse. Just sayin.

post-28254-0-29129200-1434452912.jpg

post-28254-0-61624300-1434452943.jpg

post-28254-0-60513400-1434452967.jpg

Original shock mount length, plus the length to make up for the shorter shock, plus 10mm height. +8mm is the most you can add to the shock, as it bottoms out on the linkage after that, but I knew with a bit of force it should work.

post-28254-0-42814400-1434452668.jpg

The bottom mount was not as wide as the VFR shock

post-28254-0-91686900-1434452608.jpg

Made some spacer out of the leftover R1 linkage.

post-28254-0-34606700-1434452634.jpg

A jack under the linkage takes up the excess & I can get the bolt in.

post-28254-0-81309500-1434453495.jpg

With the weight of the bike on it, we have clearance.

post-28254-0-66821600-1434452729.jpg

Thought about boxing it in, but I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough. If not, I'll box it in!

post-28254-0-47883500-1434453617.jpg

It's a shame I couldn't use the BMW shock, mostly because it weighs about half of the R1 shock!

We'll get back to weights later...

The Delkvic exhaust immediately lined up 158% better than POS I had been working with, I regret not splashing out for a proper exhaust earlier, but such is life. I got this one at a good price, so sometimes it pays to wait. The seller was selling a 5th gen & had these with the bike, I offered him a fair price, but we couldn't meet, despite me telling him it won't add to the value of the bike & it was like free money! :huh:

Anyway, they showed up on eBay a month or two later with very familiar looking pics, so I emailed him & we did a deal for $25 more than my previous offer. He sold the bike, got far less than he wanted & the buyer didn't even want the pipes, go figure.

NIB, never fitted.

100_5065.JPG

100_5066.JPG

100_5067.JPG

100_5068.JPG

Welds are a bit rough in here, if I ever chase some more performance, I'll rip them off & clean all this up, no spare gaskets at the moment though.

100_5085.JPG

100_5086.JPG

100_5087.JPG

100_5118.JPG

100_5120.JPG

Pretty easy to fit when they're not bent :goofy:

I had to stop & order some new rear downpipe gaskets as I couldn't get the other ones out of the old pipes, $50 locally for the pair.

More sanding...

100_5138.JPG

400 grit wet & dry, starting to look almost decent.

100_5140.JPG

I have been on the lookout for an undertail for a long time, best I could find was a very ratty yellow one in the states for over $200 shipped. Then Bestmax opened up a shop i Sydney, this one was under $100 AUD inc shipping & I had it the next day. Winning.

100_5166.JPG

100_5169.JPG

100_5170.JPG

Not too shabby.

Turns out the left & right hand foot peg hanger spacings are different, something I didn't account for when I had the adaptor plates made, but this made short work of the problem.

100_5102.JPG

Stance is looking good, but handlebars are fouling the fairing & the speedo, not sure how to proceed as yet...

100_5180.JPG

100_5181.JPG

Incidentally, I bought that slip on about 6-8 months ago, from the same guy I got the Delkevics headers off, small, random world. But it's a moot point because it's ugly & going back on eBay. Ordered a replacement yesterday, should be here soon.

I ran it up to operating temp to test it out, all seemed good except for this pool of coolant :mad:

100_5184.JPG

Luckily, I just missed a clamp, easily fixed.

100_5185.JPG

Looking good! And sounding sweet. I can't believe what you've done with this, it's an epic effort :fing02:

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words! It has taken almost two years though, certainly not setting any records!

On the weight front, I am getting 97kg front, 99kgs rear, with no fuel. Pretty happy with that, but the bias could be a little better. I got a new Shorai battery for the wife's Ducati & dropped the old one into the VFR, that should shave a kg or two from the rear & balance things a little better but I haven't weighed it since.

When this exhaust shows up, I'll get it mounted & take it for a test run at my secret location, can't wait to use that V4 in anger :goofy:

Do me a favour, please box that rear shock mount just weld on a flat section each side but weld the full arc, you don't need to go that fare down just say 20mm from top. Why because those bends will fatigue with vibration as the bar stock you used isn't that thick, if it was you wouldn't be able to bend it, It's fine when you mill a bkt from solid block but bending you have already fatigued the steel. Better to be safe that sorry & it won't take much work.

Do me a favour, please box that rear shock mount just weld on a flat section each side but weld the full arc, you don't need to go that fare down just say 20mm from top. Why because those bends will fatigue with vibration as the bar stock you used isn't that thick, if it was you wouldn't be able to bend it, It's fine when you mill a bkt from solid block but bending you have already fatigued the steel. Better to be safe that sorry & it won't take much work.

Sounds like I'd be doing myself a favour rather than you :goofy: But yes, if you think it's a good idea.

The stock is 5mm steel, slightly thicker than the stock Honda unit & did take a _lot_ to bend it, but I take your point.

What did you go with for exhaust? Im thinking about putting something short and lightweight on but as I still have the original 6th gen tail, It will look funny without the undertail exhaust.

Just for info & I don't know the standard shock mount process to manufacture but it all comes down to the make up of the steel used & how it is manufactured to meet the spec supplied by Honda engineer. There would probably be some form of heat treatment as well & if bent from bar stock they probably wouldn't cold form. The bar stock OP used even if 5mm is yum cha stuff you really have zero idea it's shear strength etc & it would have also been better to have heated the steel before bending, would have also bent easier. Anyway none of that matters your bkt will work fine it's just a peace of mind move to strengthen it so will be over & above the stress requirement. If I feel there is something in a build that could cause a problem then I will always spk up & give my opinion because if we don't look out for each other who else will.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the informed info, I'm just making this up as I go along!

What did you go with for exhaust? Im thinking about putting something short and lightweight on but as I still have the original 6th gen tail, It will look funny without the undertail exhaust.

It's in the country & should be here this week, all going well :wink:

I'll post up the details ASAP.

• Member Contributer

On the weight front, I am getting 97kg front, 99kgs rear, with no fuel. Pretty happy with that, but the bias could be a little better. I got a new Shorai battery for the wife's Ducati & dropped the old one into the VFR, that should shave a kg or two from the rear & balance things a little better but I haven't weighed it since.

Need to try harder, my 5th gen is down to 103Kg front, 101Kg rear with half a tank of fuel & is fully road legal, with lights etc !

I believe I could knock another 20Kg out of it if it was for track use only !

I used 2 ~12" pieces of scrap aluminum for the no light upper cowl to give it some support attached with a bolt from where the temperature sensor bolts to going back to where the lights bolted to the dash frame

Those lights are heavy even if they are plastic

Need to try harder, my 5th gen is down to 103Kg front, 101Kg rear with half a tank of fuel & is fully road legal, with lights etc !

I believe I could knock another 20Kg out of it if it was for track use only !

TBH, I'm not sure I could take much more out of it without it getting crazy expensive... The heaviest bit is the engine & anything not directly related to going, stopping or steering has been removed... That said, my weights are just rough with a very old bathroom scale, no idea how accurate they actually are.

Old & new. Old pipe is generic/unknown from eBay, new pipe is the DanMoto GP Extreme for the 5th Gen VFR, $220 odd AUD landed inc a removable baffle (just in case).

100_5196.JPG

100_5194.JPG

100_5193.JPG

100_5200.JPG

Pipe is superlight & the welds are very nice.

100_5198.JPG

Spaced much further out than the old one, much better

100_5191.JPG

Fine quality for the price, sounds quite good too! Just need a gasket for the link pipe, but that's as far as I got with it tonight.

Going to need a couple of pictures from a distance> I am following this closely... :lurk:

Yeah, I've been flat out lately haven't had the time! I even have the gasket, plus more welding supplies sitting there to fix up the rear shock link, just need about 12 more hours in the day!

Might get a half day on it this weekend, fingers crossed.

• 6 months later...

So this thread is kinda old (6 months) whats the update. I love the look. Very impressed. Hows the new front fork set up treating you. I want to swap my front forks out. I am also working on swaping 08 cbr1000 fairings onto my 04 vfr800. There are so many options out there but everyone wants to make theirs original. I love the work so far except that gsxr stuff (not a suzuki fan
) but joking aside it looks great. Any update and pictures would be awesome. Hope it turned out well..

Archived