Trackbike Build - From Scratch

MVinOZ

• Member Contributer

So this thread is kinda old (6 months) whats the update. I love the look. Very impressed. Hows the new front fork set up treating you. I want to swap my front forks out. I am also working on swaping 08 cbr1000 fairings onto my 04 vfr800. There are so many options out there but everyone wants to make theirs original. I love the work so far except that gsxr stuff (not a suzuki fan

) but joking aside it looks great. Any update and pictures would be awesome. Hope it turned out well..

And WELCOME !

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So this thread is kinda old (6 months) whats the update. I love the look. Very impressed. Hows the new front fork set up treating you. I want to swap my front forks out. I am also working on swaping 08 cbr1000 fairings onto my 04 vfr800. There are so many options out there but everyone wants to make theirs original. I love the work so far except that gsxr stuff (not a suzuki fan

) but joking aside it looks great. Any update and pictures would be awesome. Hope it turned out well..

Dude, welcome! Have you modded your engine/exhaust at all? If not, get in touch with CandyRedRC46 for a free dyno run! He needs a relatively stock 6th gen in the Orlando area to compare his modded bike with on a same day, same dyno pull.

Plus he has done an R1 front end swap and can likely answer a lot of your questions...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2016 at 1:47 AM, KrazyT3 said:

On 1/5/2016 at 1:45 PM, VFR4Lee said:

Guess I haven't seen this one in a while.

Wasn't it expected to take 6 months or so? :goofy:

Haven't turned a spanner on this since the last update. The problem with expectations is they never go as expected! :tongue:

I have a some pretty good reasons which I'll elaborate on shortly, but in the meantime I'm off for Tassie for about 10 days.

IMG_2064.JPG

• 2 months later...

Tasmania was great, one half was on fire, the other half was flooded! Didn't affect us much apart from being turned away form Lake Pedder, which is a great road apparently, but I'll have to check that for myself next time. The rain days fell on non riding days, so we didn't even get wet.

Poppy fields just out of Devonport, not long off the boat.

IMG_0023.JPG

A lovely bronze lady top of the North East Corner, near the Bay of Fires

IMG_0024.JPG

Somewhere down the East Coast, plenty of great views like this

IMG_0026.JPG

Definitely recommend you get there if you have the chance, very little traffic, very little police enforcement, amazing roads & great beer!

It's been an interesting year; several things have conspired to make this low budget build a no budget build! I've seperated from the wife, moved house (twice!) setup a new sharehouse from scratch & we lost our major distributorship at work. I still have a job, but I'm looking for an exit strategy, just in case.

They say if you want to achieve a goal, you shouldn't tell anyone - the very act of telling people about makes it feel as if you've achieved something & you're less likely to succeed. Well, that would make build threads pretty boring! & I subscribe to the idea that if I say it I should do it, unforeseen circumstances not withstanding of course. I also like to put my ideas down in here for future reference & to cement things in my mind, I find it helps. So this thread is as much for my benefit as it is for yours, but I hope you get something out if it anyway.

Anyway, new shed is setup & I'll have some cash to throw at it soon - which is good. I made a new bench. Something I always struggle with is dedicated bench space...

IMG_0003.JPG

On the goals front, this bike will be doing track days, drag racing & dry salt lake racing, so will need to fit into all of those with little to no modifications if possible. Eventually I'd like to add a dry Nitrous setup, using the second Rapid Bike Racing map, assuming it can deliver enough fuel to make it work. I'll get a second airbox to install the jets in & should be able to remove the Nitrous setup pretty easily for trackdays. Dyno tuning will be on the cards at some point.

I have some friends who go to Speed Week at Lake Gardiner every year, I haven't been, but I guess it's much like Bonneville; large salt flats where you test your top speed, so I'm planning making that next year. Their website is here: http://www.dlra.org.au/The extra requirements I'll need to add are lockwiring of the axle nuts, a steering damper & a lanyard style killswitch, none of which are a bad idea, considering my planned use for the bike. The lanyard killswitch might be a pain at trackdays, but I can bypass it pretty easily if needed.

Speed Week is usually held late February or early March, specifically Feb 27th to March next year, so that's a timeframe to work in. The bad news is the VFR falls in the 1000cc class, just misses out on the 750cc class, so I won't be breaking any records, but it will still be fun. Further detriment to that is I will have to run in 'Modified Gasoline' class, instead of 'Production' as I have changed the bike from stock, but oh well. I haven't looked into using Nitrous, but that would probably come after this timeframe wise anyway & really bump me up into some stiff competition.

Anyway, I'm getting slightly ahead of myself!

Right now I need work out how handlebars/fairing/speedo fit together & fabricate an exhaust mount. I dropped the bars back under the top triple clamp which I prefer height wise, but the angle of these bars is a bit narrow for me, I might need to replace the bars of modify how they lock into the top triple. Unsure on that one.

IMG_0012.JPG

With the bars above the top triple, they clear the fairing, but not the speedo/dash. At this stage I'm not sure which way to go, but I have a spare fairing subframe I can modify, I might be able to recess the speedo a little or I might need to use an aftermarket version. I'd prefer to have one mostly for the tacho function. That & modify the fairing perhaps...

Looks OK from the cockpit.

IMG_0016.JPG

The throttle cables are fouling the fairing bracket, I think I'll need to replace the throttle with a race version (front or left exit cables that will run over the mastercylinder) & run a seperate kill switch, anyone know if there's a race throttle that will fit? I tried checking the throttle cables to see if any other model use them, but apparently not...

IMG_0006.JPG

• 1 month later...

(Hmmm... appear to be missing some pics! Do I need to re-upload or will they be restored at some point?)

A few things have started turning up, lanyard kill switch & steering damper: the steering damper is from the 04-08 R1 & fork sizes have remained at 50mm for the entire model run, so I can use an aftermarket fork mount to mount the damper, rather than the stock R1 mount, which mounts to the underside of the clip on.

IMG_2728.JPG

The kill switch attaches to the brake or clutch master cylinder

IMG_2731.JPG

Damper mount from Gilles Tooling, very nice!

IMG_2740.JPG

HRC quick turn throttle & kill switch, looks like it will fit the VFR with no mods, but I'll need to confirm when I have 5 spare minutes.

IMG_2797.JPG

Just went back through the thread & fixed up all the photos, there's been a lot of changes in my life over the past couple of years! 

The HRC quick turn throttle worked, but a couple of caveats! The holes for the cable ends to pass through had to be enlarged slightly & the inside of the throttle housing (below) needed to be enlarged to gain enough clearance for smooth throttle action. I'm not sure if that's because the VFR throttle cables are different to the HRC ones or if HRC just expect people using these things to just make them work... anyway, got there in the end!

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

HRC start/stop switch, simply unlugged the pins from the loom & used the connector from the VFR switch gear, easy!

Still having clearance issues, I could use some bar risers, but I want the bars to be nice & low, it is a trackbike after all! 

Picture 012.jpg

Had to get brutal, I have a spare sub frame if need be, but I think this is the way to go. 

Picture 002.jpg

I'll need to find another place to mount the speedo or source another smaller unit... I pulled the VFR one apart to see if it was one piece or multiple PCB's, unfortunately it's one piece, so not much to be done there. Anyone know if there's a Honda speedo that will plug straight in or work with minimal modification? Also need to relocate the ECU, there's plenty of room up the front, but I don't think there's much length in the loom.

Picture 005.jpg

1 hour ago, MVinOZ said:

Anyone know if there's a Honda speedo that will plug straight in or work with minimal modification? Also need to relocate the ECU, there's plenty of room up the front, but I don't think there's much length in the loom.

CBR600F4i or CBR900RR

I  don't think so. I have a NOS CBR600F4i dash ($50 brand spankers!!!) and I bought it because I found a tutorial online that explained what wires to join to fit it to a VFR harness. But do you think I can find that tutorial again? Well, it was 10+ years ago... I'm sure it's still online somewhere, or in the Wayback machine's archives.

Different plugs, but IIRC most of the wiring colour coding is the same.

On 9/14/2016 at 8:19 PM, MVinOZ said:

Had to get brutal, I have a spare sub frame if need be, but I think this is the way to go. 

Careful of that suspicious lubricant. Don't overlube the mechanic before the job is done. :laughing6-hehe:

Correct oil cooler sourced, actually makes the lines run a lot better than other one, strange huh?

Picture 031.jpg

Plenty of room in the front now, I need to find an alternative spot to mount the ECU, unfortunately the loom doesn't have much length to work with, not sure how to tackle that one yet...

Picture 024.jpg

The clutch line is a bit too long, but I think I can sort it by running it outside of the triples & angling the banjo bolt forward to make a nice arc & take out the twist. I'll move the throttle cables out also while I'm there. I need to sort out some steering stops too, also not sure about how to tackle that one either, but I guess a high tensile bolt & a lump of metal will do.

Picture 028.jpg

Steering damper is from an R1, I was planning on mounting it off the upper fairing mount bracket like on the R1, but I think it will be easier to mount down the side of the bike as below. It should be hidden under the fairing. I'll be able to do it with just a flat plate & a bolt for the steering damper BUT it will require drilling & tapping the frame... I should be able to do it on the bottom of the frame, which will be neater but harder. Once you modify the frame in such a way here, it will be impossible to get the bike re-registered, but I've come this far! :comp13:

Picture 021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using an acewell dash on my 5th. Not plug and play, but pretty easy. 

Wire Colours from the Vfr wiring diagram, the acewell diagram, and just joined them up. Used a magnetic speedo pickup, though. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/01/2017 at 1:45 PM, kaldek said:

Come on son, it's sad to see my old bike still not running!

(Slinks back into the corner)

Hola, Kaldek!

Archived