Decided To See What This Plasti Dip Craze Was All About.

Guest MattVFR

Guest MattVFR

Wanted to try it out. Started with a few pieces and ended up doing the whole bike in 4 hours. Then did my helmet to match. :)

post-28146-0-02377300-1377734539.jpg

post-28146-0-84572800-1377734656.jpg

post-28146-0-02207000-1377734777.jpg

post-28146-0-29812500-1377734914.jpg

post-28146-0-26331300-1377734950.jpg

• Member Contributer

so is it an actual dip or is it a wrap?

It is sprayed on from either a can or a compressor / paint gun and and dries into a vinyl like finish that can be peeled off with no damage to the original surface. YouTube has lots of cool videos of people doing expensive cars with it and the results look pretty damn good IMO. It's available in lots of colors but they all have matte finish and I'm not sure about how long the results last before needing to be removed and re-applied. It's much cheaper than paint and if you don't like the results you simply peal off the finish like peeling off a big plastic sticker.

Rollin

This may be a dumb question, but when you did the stripes did you lay the black on top of the white or did you tape it off?

I have also seen people put clear coat over top to help protect it. I have always wanted to try it.

• Member Contributer

I see they have brought it in at my workplace, Canadian Tire, and immediately thought that I should spray my silver bags with the white so that it matches my 2000 RWB. They are a little scuffed up from use over the years.

• Member Contributer

I dipped my bike a coupla months ago. Sprayed it all flat black (timmy would be proud). The stuff is pretty cool.

• Member Contributer

It's easy to scuff it off. I've rubbed some spots off moving the bike around trying to squeeze it into my garage by my car, and I've rubbed a spot off on the tank where my pants rub against it. I've washed it and spot polished it with no problems. It's cool to be able to try a different look without the need to spend a lot of money and time for something you may not like.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived