I've Had It!

Alaskan

My love/hate relationship with my 1984 VF750F is over. Time to kick it out of the house. The final straw was the 2 blown fork seals - again! I recently discovered that the fork tubes were straightened before I bought the bike, but apparently they are distorted - which I could remedy if I wanted to keep the motorcycle. Which I do not. I am fed up with the niggling repairs, the sub-standard brakes, the specter of cam failure, yet another cam tensioner replacement, and the underpowered sheer avoirdupois of this Behemoth from the Last Millenium. I just don't enjoy riding this tank. The smaller/lighter VF500F is much more fun. Time to replace the VF750F with a small adventure bike - like a 650 GS or a baby V-Strom. Or a supermoto like a DRZ 400.

So, it's gotta go. Trouble is, no one will want to buy a VF750F here in Juneau, especially with distorted fork tubes that drizzle fork oil down the tubes onto the rotors and pads. Yuck! So, I may part it out. It has a really nice NOS 1985 VF700F tank with no rust and a JD shock and a JD F2 front wheel conversion kit with modded speedo gear. The body panels are intact, though ratty. The engine has 30,000 miles on it and it runs OK (Impending cam failure? Failing cam tensioners? Who knows? Arrgh!!).

So, watch this space.

• Member Contributer

Not sure if Pien is keeping momentum of getting rid of motorcycle parts, or if Timmy is running for saint of the year. :beer:

If you take the offer, you don't necessarily have to do the labor, just sell the bike with the good parts and let them deal with it.

If you take the offer, you don't necessarily have to do the labor, just sell the bike with the good parts and let them deal with it.

Funny coming from you. :wink:

Pretty sure I know where those tubes are coming from, if I'm right they are good. Shipping tubes only would not be too bad. Maybe $30.

Wow, Timmy. That's VFRD generosity! I have had to repair/replace a lot of things on the VF750F - a head gasket, a cam chain tensioner, a clutch pushrod seal, gummed-up carbs, etc. - but those have been one-and-done. I have replaced the fork seals twice before. This last failure pushed me over the edge. Straight tubes would change my mind about dumping the bike. I'll PM you.

Here's a pic of the bike. It's a 1984, but it has the 1985 paint scheme now. I found a brand new 1985 NOS tank and bought the other body parts on eBay to match.

• Member Contributer

:huh:

:huh:

Katana... 500C... 250... just sayin... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Wow, Timmy. That's VFRD generosity! I have had to repair/replace a lot of things on the VF750F - a head gasket, a cam chain tensioner, a clutch pushrod seal, gummed-up carbs, etc. - but those have been one-and-done. I have replaced the fork seals twice before. This last failure pushed me over the edge. Straight tubes would change my mind about dumping the bike. I'll PM you.

Here's a pic of the bike. It's a 1984, but it has the 1985 paint scheme now. I found a brand new 1985 NOS tank and bought the other body parts on eBay to match.

Good lookin bike !!!!

• Member Contributer

I agree. Put new forks on it. You've already sorted out a bunch of issues, it would be a shame to part it out.

We have a '87 VFR 700 that has a GSXR USD front end on it and fox rear shock. With the upgraded suspension and such a nice linear throttle, the bike is just a blast to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Good lookin bike !!!!

Thanks. It runs well too.

Why not get the straight legs, then sell it?

I hear your frustration, but it should be worth a good bit more with good legs. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

After going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth . . . well, you get the idea, I sold it to my son's best friend. I am relieved more than anything now. From now on I can focus on my VFR800 and my Ducati 748, each of which is 100 times more fun to ride than the old VF&!#%)F anyway. Thanks for the offers and encouragement, but this was the smart decision.

Archived